ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football LSU coach Les Miles has an offer on the table to become new Arkansas coach (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267142)

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-27-2012 08:43 PM

LSU coach Les Miles has an offer on the table to become new Arkansas coach

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter

REPORTS: LSU coach Les Miles has an offer on the table to become new Arkansas coach, according to source. Deal is reportedly 5-yr/27.5M

LSU Coach Les Miles has a "serious offer" from Arkansas, source says
Jim Kleinpeter, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Jim Kleinpeter, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on November 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM, updated November 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Print

LSU Coach Les Miles has an offer from Arkansas for the head football coaching job, a source close to LSU confirmed to the Times-Picayune/NOLA.com Tuesday. The offer is reportedly for five years and $27.5 milliion.

"They made a serious offer," the source said "(Athletic Director) Joe (Alleva) is meeting with his (Miles') agent and the discussion is ongoing."
LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette declined to comment and said Miles, was out of town recruiting. His LSU team defeated Arkansas 20-13 in the regular season finale Friday.
les_miles.jpg LSU Coach Les Miles reportedly has an offer to coach at Arkansas. Eliot Kamenitz / The Times-Picayune

Another source familiar with the Arkansas coaching search said the original report, which came from a twitter post from the Sports by Brooks website, was "speculation based on Miles and Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long having spent eight years together at Michigan."

Long worked in the athletic department at Michigan during Miles' eight-year tenure there.

"We've seen the tweet by Sports by Brooks and we're not going to comment on rumors or bits of information," Bonnette said. "It has been brought to Les' attention and he didn't have anything to say."

Miles' agent, George Bass of Dallas, could not be reached for comment. Tom Murphy of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette tweeted that he spoke to Bass by phone and Bass said, "There's nothing like that going on."

Miles is at the end of his eighth season at LSU and is the school's second winningest coach with an 85-20 record. His current LSU contract calls for $3.751 million plus post season and academic incentives and was last increased in August of 2011.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/20...as_an_off.html

Sorter 11-27-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9158103)
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter

REPORTS: LSU coach Les Miles has an offer on the table to become new Arkansas coach, according to source. Deal is reportedly 5-yr/27.5M

He'd be silly to leave IMO

NewChief 11-27-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9158108)
He'd be silly to leave IMO

This would cause a full scale revolt in Arkansas. I'm not buying it. I also agree he'd be silly to leave. I think he's playing the rumor mill for a raise.

ILChief 11-27-2012 08:47 PM

He flirted with Michigan before they hired Rich Rodriguez and got more $$$ from LSU. This is probably the same.

Sorter 11-27-2012 08:47 PM

^^Probably. I dislike Les but I think he probably deserves a raise. That teams has been competitive as hell since he's been there.

DeezNutz 11-27-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks for the raise, Arkansas. I'll be sure to donate anonymously to your alumni fund. /Miles

displacedinMN 11-27-2012 08:54 PM

a step down.

besides-how often does someone take a job of a conference rival

NewChief 11-27-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 9158135)
a step down.

besides-how often does someone take a job of a conference rival

Hog fans really, really dislike Miles. The general consensus on him (around here, fair or not) is that he does less with more than most other coaches in the SEC. He's seen as a poor coach/game manager who happens to be surrounded by very good assistants and remarkably talented players year after year. I have a hard time seeing hog fans swallowing him as the new coach, and that pick would be pretty out of touch and character for Jeff Long to make.

RUSH 11-27-2012 08:57 PM

Meh. Les isn't going anywhere.

I read that they were after Chris Petersen. That would be a great hire.

http://www.hogcountryonline.com/?p=7870

Dunno how reliable that report is but I stumbled across it on Twitter yesterday.

Tombstone RJ 11-27-2012 08:57 PM

I'd love for Miles to coach Arkansas but for some reason I think this is just Miles trying to get a raise from LSU.

NewChief 11-27-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSH (Post 9158144)
Meh. Les isn't going anywhere.

I read that they were after Chris Petersen. That would be a great hire.

http://www.hogcountryonline.com/?p=7870

Dunno how reliable that report is but I stumbled across it on Twitter yesterday.

There's a rumor floating around about the hogs being after just about any decent coach who is available (or not). This state is ****ing crazy. Peterson, Patterson, Tuberville, Briles, etc.. etc...

Reaper16 11-27-2012 09:04 PM

Would be funny if LSU's athletic director doesn't give Miles a raise.

"OK then. Go ahead -- take that job."

NewChief 11-27-2012 09:05 PM

Haha. This rumor was really starting to pick up traction in social media. Just as it's really reaching critical mass, the state newspaper sends out a "Breaking News" email announcing.....

the winner of the North Little Rock mayoral runoff.

People are all freaking out about it because they were panicking that the email was announcing Miles' hiring. That's how ****ing obsessed Arkansans have become with this coaching hire. Nuts.

RealSNR 11-27-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9158147)
There's a rumor floating around about the hogs being after just about any decent coach who is available (or not). This state is ****ing crazy. Peterson, Patterson, Tuberville, Briles, etc.. etc...

Turner Gill is available I hear :D

Chiefspants 11-27-2012 09:06 PM

KU should put a counter offer on the table.