ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

Silock 12-20-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9228698)
I'm not really light lifting.

You said you didn't want to do anything hard.

Quote:

cardio is more important to me than lifting.
Why?

Hootie 12-20-2012 09:40 PM

because I'm not a hardcore gym rat...

I'd like to do my intense 30 minute treadmill routine and then supplement it with a few lifts...that's just my style. I'm not saying it's right, it's probably wrong...but it is what I enjoy.

So if nobody has 3-5 good lifts to suggest, cool...if not, don't care to further partake in this conversation. There is nothing I dislike more than gym "snobs"...which is why I like Planet Fitness. I can run on my treadmill and not have to worry about a 500 lb. roided out man asking me to spot him.

"Yes, sure...I'll spot you sir! I mean, if you drop that 900 lb. bar on your neck I have no shot of helping you but lets do it!!!"

Hootie 12-20-2012 09:48 PM

and by not do anything hard...

I meant super technical lifts...

I want to do basic things like flies, bench, different types of curls, etc...basic leg lifts, squats...etc.

Silock 12-20-2012 10:08 PM

Okay, well, if you're going to be in the gym every day, then there's no reason that spacing things out will hurt anything more than your overall plan will, anyway.

Just do one core lift per day or so.

Monday - 5 sets of 5 bench press
Tuesday - 5 sets of 5 barbell rows OR some kind of heavy pulling
Wednesday - 5 sets of 5 standing military press OR db press
Thursday - 5 sets of 5 pullups/weighted pullups if you can do more than 5 reps of bodyweight
Friday - 5 sets of 5 dips/weighted dips if you can do more than 5 reps of bodyweight
Saturday - 3 sets of 5 leg press, 3 sets of 5 hamstring curl, 3 sets of 15 weighted incline crunches
Sunday - rest

I mean, it sucks, but it's about as good as you're going to do with the limitations you've given.

Hootie 12-20-2012 10:13 PM

Thanks for the help; I will definitely incorporate some of that stuff. I do like to do 3-5 lifts each session.

Buehler445 12-20-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9228698)
I'm not really light lifting. I will lift as much as I can lift...it's not like I'm on the bench lifting 25's on each side.

I'm saying, I only like to do 3-5 lifts to supplement my cardio workout. If you're saying that's worthless after a pretty intense (at least for me) 30 minute cardio workout than fine.

I don't like to spend more than 45-60 minutes per day at the gym...and cardio is more important to me than lifting.

Seriously. Don't do that. Do fewer exercises, more reps. If you try to stack a bunch of weight on there, you'll hurt yourself. Lighter sets more reps fit better if you're not looking to bulk up or get stronger.

Hootie 12-20-2012 10:21 PM

I don't even know what we're talking about anymore.

I think I'm just going to stick with what I'm doing. Thanks for the help, though.

Buehler445 12-20-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9228818)
I don't even know what we're talking about anymore.

I think I'm just going to stick with what I'm doing. Thanks for the help, though.

Just do lighter sets with more reps. Focus on your form.

Silock 12-20-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9228815)
Seriously. Don't do that. Do fewer exercises, more reps. If you try to stack a bunch of weight on there, you'll hurt yourself. Lighter sets more reps fit better if you're not looking to bulk up or get stronger.

More reps as in how many?

And more weight != injury

There is no point to rep ranges of more than 15.

Buehler445 12-21-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9228825)
More reps as in how many?

And more weight != injury

There is no point to rep ranges of more than 15.

No I'm talking 10-12. And I thought I said light weight?

Anyway. 10-12 reps light weight. He said he was a novice. I just want him to avoid injury.

Silock 12-21-2012 12:15 AM

What's the point of light weight 12 rep sets? You said more weight means injury, which isn't true at all.

el borracho 12-21-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9228725)
3-5 good lifts to suggest

1. Squats and/or Leg Press
2. Barbell Rows
3. Bench Press
4. Pullups and/or Chins
5. Incline and/or Decline Bench Press

I would throw flies and curls and all other isolation exercises out of the routine.

Buehler445 12-21-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9228931)
What's the point of light weight 12 rep sets? You said more weight means injury, which isn't true at all.

I thought it fit better since his focus is cardio.

If he's a n00b and puts on too much weight, his form is likely to fail leading to injury, particularly with squat. That's been my experience with n00bs anyway.

If he gets his form solid and gets his supporting muscles stronger, then he could move the weight up, but if he's a n00b, I wouldn't suggest heavy 3 or 5 rep sets.

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 10:52 AM

I know what silock is getting at, but he is already wired to put in max and get out max. Lots of people want to go to the gym to feel good not to be ****ing crushed. Silock associates pain with gain, but most just want to get up get out and do then excersizes correctly.

Demonpenz 12-21-2012 10:54 AM

I think just getting up and get.your feet moving Tom the gym consistently is important.