ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

Simply Red 03-27-2013 12:06 AM

I'm not going to lie here - this film looks really bad.

007 03-27-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9532289)

Careful, you'll get Clay's panties in a wad.

Hammock Parties 03-27-2013 12:14 AM

he's trolling

i love him

Fish 03-27-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9531299)
I felt they didn't do a good job with sizing at all. In the LotR trilogy they did an outstanding job of this. In Hobbit I felt like I was watching tall dwarves that are just shrunk to look smaller than everyone else. Bugged me the entire movie. How can you do it so well in one movie yet so badly in the followup?

Hmm. I disagree. I thought the Hobbit was done very well. Especially the dwarves.

Frosty 03-27-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9531299)
I felt they didn't do a good job with sizing at all. In the LotR trilogy they did an outstanding job of this. In Hobbit I felt like I was watching tall dwarves that are just shrunk to look smaller than everyone else. Bugged me the entire movie. How can you do it so well in one movie yet so badly in the followup?

Man, I have the complete opposite opinion. I thought the Hobbit and dwarves were done really well in The Hobbit. In the LoTR, you could tell the hobbits were either children or CGI when you saw them with the other characters. And Gimli the dwarf was a disaster. They used funky camera angles to make him look short and the few times you saw him from a distance, you could tell it was a different actor. The fact that they also made him the comic relief instead of the great warrior he is in the book was just icing on the cake. :facepalm:

Fire Me Boy! 03-27-2013 07:20 AM

The Hobbit was pretty mediocre, in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9236770)
I disagree here. I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I thought I was a pretty big step down from any of the three LOTR films, and that's partly due to the complete destruction of my willing suspension of disbelief. I can get past these people falling great distances and not being completely broken, but can we get at least some scratches? It was a little overlong, and the pacing was a bit off. A lot of the toilet humor felt forced and out of place.

The casting was outstanding, though, and for the most part the effects were top notch (there's one shot of the Brown Wizard guy on the rabbit sled leading the orcs on a chase that had ridiculously bad FX).

Again, overall I enjoyed the movie, and I'll see the next ones. But it wasn't what I'd hoped, and it wasn't what I expected.

My 2 cents.

Fish 03-27-2013 08:59 AM

LMAO.... A story of Elves and Dwarves and Orcs and wizards and giant Eagles and magic rings. But those ****ers fell 500 feet and nobody died. So I hate it........ Fail...

Fire Me Boy! 03-27-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9532625)
LMAO.... A story of Elves and Dwarves and Orcs and wizards and giant Eagles and magic rings. But those ****ers fell 500 feet and nobody died. So I hate it........ Fail...

Willing suspension of disbelief will only take you so far...

Frosty 03-27-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Hey! I like realism in my fantasy. :harumph:

Besides, they didn't fall straight down. The thing slid and hit other things on the way down. That would take a lot of the momentum out.

*grasping at straws*

Fire Me Boy! 03-27-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9532637)
Hey! I like realism in my fantasy. :harumph:

Besides, they didn't fall straight down. The thing slid and hit other things on the way down. That would take a lot of the momentum out.

*grasping at straws*

But no bumps, bruises, road rash?

loochy 03-27-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

cmon man, physics still exists in middle earth.

loochy 03-27-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9532289)

you people need to stop expecting greatness and just have fun with the goofy thing.

Fish 03-27-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9532636)
Willing suspension of disbelief will only take you so far...

So belief in magic rings that make you invisible is OK and unquestioned, but portraying the effects of gravity slightly incorrectly is the deal breaker?

Still doesn't make sense. Why would gravity receive more factual scrutiny than magic?

Fire Me Boy! 03-27-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9532753)
So belief in magic rings that make you invisible is OK and unquestioned, but portraying the effects of gravity slightly incorrectly is the deal breaker?

Still doesn't make sense. Why would gravity receive more factual scrutiny than magic?

Because...

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9532716)
cmon man, physics still exists in middle earth.

Fish 03-27-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9532797)
Because...

Well technically that's not true. Countless other aspects of the movies break the laws of physics. All of which seem to be overlooked other than gravity. It's interesting to me that people question that aspect while ignoring numerous others that are clearly much less realistic. It's hypocritical criticism. And I'm not even sure why it bothers me.