ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

ChiefsOne 01-06-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9289888)
My normal workout would usually last around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so. I'd start off with a mile run on the treadmill at 9 mph (around 6 minutes 40 seconds) before moving on to either upper or lower body weight lifting. For a while now I've been dealing with some pretty sharp pain in my knees so I know its likely to be a chronic thing.

Anyway, I don't have health insurance so getting them checked out is a no go; but I've recently switched to using the elliptical instead of the treadmill for my pre-workout cardio. I have to say its probably the best decision I could have made. I don't have any more issues with the stress of pounding my knees from running and don't dread my cardio any longer.

I'm pretty young at 23 and don't ever remember having (serious) knee problems until about a year or so ago. The worst 'injury' I've ever experienced was a pulled muscle back in high school. Never had a broken bone, torn ligament or anything of that nature as far as I'm aware. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas as to what I could be dealing with?

Possibly your IT band, tendon to your knee from your upper leg. I have to stretch/warm up tons before my doesn't hurt. My daughter has the same problem and she's in her 20s.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9289903)
Might give a chiropractor a try. They helped me out some with a knee problem. If it is all out of alignment, it can give your knee hell. Cheapest would by try new shoes. If they're wore out, they can be hard on your knees.

at 9 miles per day, you can go through shoes pretty quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 9290047)
It's the shoes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsOne (Post 9290547)
Possibly your IT band, tendon to your knee from your upper leg. I have to stretch/warm up tons before my doesn't hurt. My daughter has the same problem and she's in her 20s.

Thanks, dudes.

Truthfully though, it could be anyone of those issues (or even something else entirely).

I have TERRIBLE posture, have worn the same workout shoes for the past 3 or 4 years, and NEVER stretch. Like, I stretch my hammies and quads for about 10 seconds each before starting my run. I haven't replaced my shoes because they don't seem to have any wear but perhaps I could look into a more comfortable brand. If it's my back- I'm ****ed..

Buck 01-06-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9290570)
Thanks, dudes.

Truthfully though, it could be anyone of those issues (or even something else entirely).

I have TERRIBLE posture, have worn the same workout shoes for the past 3 or 4 years, and NEVER stretch. Like, I stretch my hammies and quads for about 10 seconds each before starting my run. I haven't replaced my shoes because they don't seem to have any wear but perhaps I could look into a more comfortable brand. If it's my back- I'm ****ed..

I was having issues until I made my feet into a V during squats and it went away.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9290574)
I was having issues until I made my feet into a V during squats and it went away.

LMAO Maybe that's an issue too. I've noticed the pain when I do squats sometimes, which makes doing them HELL, and have always just tried to push through it.

Also, I used to use that quad-leg-extender-machine-thingy which seemed to make it A LOT worse. I stopped using that when I switched to the elliptical.

The issue now is, with my gym being so small (PF FTW!), I'm extremely limited in my leg workouts. They basically just have squat racks, quad extenders, sitting-hamstring flexors, a butt extender thingy, and the hip adductors/abductors. Its tough to do any heavy lifting (I desperately need mass in my lower body) when I can max out all those bitch ass machines..

I've been debating just dropping lower body exercise altogether and joining a flag football league or something. I figure the explosion involved in playing could help me build some muscle in my legs.

Buck 01-06-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9290589)
LMAO Maybe that's an issue too. I've noticed the pain when I do squats sometimes, which makes doing them HELL, and have always just tried to push through it.

Also, I used to use that quad-leg-extender-machine-thingy which seemed to make it A LOT worse. I stopped using that when I switched to the elliptical.

The issue now is, with my gym being so small (PF FTW!), I'm extremely limited in my leg workouts. They basically just have squat racks, quad extenders, sitting-hamstring flexors, a butt extender thingy, and the hip adductors/abductors. Its tough to do any heavy lifting (I desperately need mass in my lower body) when I can max out all those bitch ass machines..

I've been debating just dropping lower body exercise altogether and joining a flag football league or something. I figure the explosion involved in playing could help me build some muscle in my legs.

Maybe you're just pushing yourself too hard dude...I know how tempting it is to put more weight on because you feel beastly when you do, but it's not worth injuring yourself. I have to remind myself every day at the gym that I'm here for the long run, and not for this one explosive workout.

P.S. broke my ankle today and if anyone has ideas on what kind of weight training I can do (not sure if I can even do pushups), I'd appreciate it. Sorta bummin.

-King- 01-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9290026)
not only is it $10 a month and a MASSIVE gym, BUT there is a pizza party every first Monday of the month...which just so happens to be tomorrow! YES! YES! YES!

Seems kinda counter productive.... or smart business....

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9290612)
Maybe you're just pushing yourself too hard dude...I know how tempting it is to put more weight on because you feel beastly when you do, but it's not worth injuring yourself. I have to remind myself every day at the gym that I'm here for the long run, and not for this one explosive workout.

P.S. broke my ankle today and if anyone has ideas on what kind of weight training I can do (not sure if I can even do pushups), I'd appreciate it. Sorta bummin.

Eh, I'm 23, man.

Even if I found out I had a degenerative knee disease, I probably still wouldn't stop.

I'm really thinking its something else though. I shouldn't have issues with over exertion when going to the gym 3-5 times a week...

Buck 01-06-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9290633)

Free calories....just don't over do it.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9290633)

It really is.

To the guys in there trying to build mass, its a great thing; but I always have a laugh when I see the ladies get off the treadmill with nary a bead of sweat on their brow and take two slices of pizza to go. They don't even realize they're taking in more calories from those slices than they just spent the last half hour trying to burn.

Besides the workout they just gave their heart, it pretty much renders their entire workout worthless..

NewChief 01-06-2013 10:11 PM

My gym just serves free booze on a regular basis. Did bloody mary's and mimosas for Les Mills Launch Day on Saturday.

Omaha 01-06-2013 10:15 PM

I hurt my back over a year ago and it's still giving me trouble. I've been doing a lot of crossfire style workouts on my own, but I'm planning to join a real box this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my back cooperates.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 10:18 PM

Picking up too many fat chicks, bro?

Omaha 01-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9290683)
Picking up too many fat chicks, bro?

Damn! You know me!

Omaha 01-09-2013 10:10 AM

OK, I have an appointment to check out a crossfit box in Omaha today. They offer a free session to check it out. This one is not very close to my house, but it's highly recommended. There's one really close to me, but it's brand new.

If I go ahead with this, I'll be spending a small fortune every year on gym memberships. (I will keep my membership at my old gym because my whole family uses it) Both gyms are quite pricey and my wife has been working weekly with a personal trainer.

Omaha 01-11-2013 03:14 PM

Welp, I did it. I pulled the trigger. They require 10 training sessions before I can start classes & I just completed my first one.