ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Spotify vs. Pandora (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261194)

CaliforniaChief 07-07-2012 09:38 PM

Spotify vs. Pandora

Do any of you use Spotify? How is it different than Pandora? I've noticed that people's playlists show on Facebook from Spotify, which I don't necessarily like. Is there a reason to listen to that as opposed to Pandora?

ChiefsCountry 07-07-2012 09:40 PM

I used to use Spotify mainly bc you can pick the songs while Pandora is like the radio. I quit using Spotify bc they save all of your songs on your hard drive and it takes up a bunch of space.

DaFace 07-07-2012 09:42 PM

Spotify is a 90% replacement for buying music, and I love it. Pandora is more of a music discovery service.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief 07-07-2012 09:44 PM

Spotify allows you to listen to one artist or a specific album without all the randomization. You can also do private mode to stop the Facebook spam.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-07-2012 09:47 PM

I like Slacker Radio better

CaliforniaChief 07-07-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8725002)
Spotify allows you to listen to one artist or a specific album without all the randomization. You can also do private mode to stop the Facebook spam.

LMAO My wife just showed me her news feed that showed that I just listened to "I touch myself" on 90's radio. I thought I set it to show for "only me" but apparently I failed in that.

Tombstone RJ 07-07-2012 09:51 PM

Pandora sucks, I use spotify. Oh, and spotify will not save music on your putor of Ipod or whatever unless you tell it to. Otherwise all your music sits in cloud so you need wifi to access it.

The only issue I have with spotify (and it's a rather large issue because I'm a music nut) is that they don't have all the songs from the artists. Some songs are just missing. Also, if you look for stuff from a band like Black Sabbath, spotify doesn't have any of their old albums when Ozzie was the front man. That sucks. They have hundreds of Black Sabbath tunes with Dio and and lots of live stuff with Ozzie but none of the old original albums--WHY?

Anyway, the longer spotify is around, hopefully, the more these issues will go away.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-07-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 8725015)
Pandora sucks, I use spotify. Oh, and spotify will not save music on your putor of Ipod or whatever unless you tell it to. Otherwise all your music sits in cloud so you need wifi to access it.

The only issue I have with spotify (and it's a rather large issue because I'm a music nut) is that they don't have all the songs from the artists. Some songs are just missing. Also, if you look for stuff from a band like Black Sabbath, spotify doesn't have any of their old albums when Ozzie was the front man. That sucks. They have hundreds of Black Sabbath tunes with Dio and and lots of live stuff with Ozzie but none of the old original albums--WHY?

Anyway, the longer spotify is around, hopefully, the more these issues will go away.

it's all licensing. some labels/artists won't grant them, some charge more than they are willing to pay.

That is one thing I do like about turntable.fm, you can upload songs not available.

Gadzooks 07-07-2012 10:15 PM

Grooveshark is still up and running for the moment.

Tombstone RJ 07-07-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8725038)
it's all licensing. some labels/artists won't grant them, some charge more than they are willing to pay.

That is one thing I do like about turntable.fm, you can upload songs not available.

yah, that's what I kinda figured. I just hope that as spotify grows, these issues will go away.

DaFace 07-07-2012 10:51 PM

Y
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 8725049)
Grooveshark is still up and running for the moment.

Yeah, but that's questionably legal at best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat 07-07-2012 11:53 PM

Based on what I've read, Spotify has about 5 times the music (~5 million vs ~1 million)... I use Pandora when I want to simply listen to music on my laptop. Spotify is really useful for discovering new artists and songs... you can rank songs by a specific artist by popularity or sort them by album. It's a great tool when people post their top albums of the year and I've never heard of any of them. The Linux app sucks though. :(

Gadzooks 07-07-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8725102)
Y

Yeah, but that's questionably legal at best.
Posted via Mobile Device

What's the worst that could happen? (serious question)

Brock 07-08-2012 12:01 AM

Songza. you're welcome by the way.

BigMeatballDave 07-08-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8725009)
I like Slacker Radio better

This.

I was using Pandora a yr or so ago and then a friend told me about Slacker.

Way better.