ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Can the Royals be next years Tigers? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149232)

ArrowheadHawk 10-07-2006 05:32 PM

Can the Royals be next years Tigers?

or are they destined to suck.

Bob Dole 10-07-2006 05:37 PM

Bob Dole will have to go with teh suck.

Thig Lyfe 10-07-2006 05:38 PM

Only if they sign Juan Gonzalez.

Hootie 10-07-2006 05:38 PM

No, because in order to attract free agents we'd have to pull a Toronto and overpay anyone worth a shit.

Hammock Parties 10-07-2006 05:40 PM

The Rangers are next year's Tigers. We dumped Buck Showalter, which means an automatic World Series.

BigRock 10-07-2006 05:42 PM

Maybe the '09 Royals could be... it took the Tigers a few years to go from 100 losses to this.

JBucc 10-07-2006 05:48 PM

They have this stuff called pitching. If we get that next year maybe we will be.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-07-2006 05:54 PM

If the Royals had 3-5 power arms it is possible. Since they don't have anything close to that, along with holes at several positions, I'm going to have to go with nope.

SCTrojan 10-07-2006 05:59 PM

Gotta agree with those who say there isn't enough pitching right now. Position player wise, the future looks fairly bright. Moore is working on the pitching issues, but time will tell on that. I would love to see it next year, but I think it's going to be some time before we see the Royals even sniffing the playoffs.

tk13 10-07-2006 06:03 PM

We don't have anybody who can throw 100 mph like it's nothing. The Tigers became great because they added a new 1/2 starter combo this year (Rogers-Verlander) and fixed the back end of their bullpen (Zumaya-Jones). Royals need more pitching, although they've got some starters with good stuff in Hochevar, Greinke, De La Rosa, and even Luke Hudson.

tk13 10-07-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
If the Royals had 3-5 power arms it is possible. Since they don't have anything close to that, along with holes at several positions, I'm going to have to go with nope.

I'd be interested in hearing where the holes at several positions are, besides shortstop.

Mama Hip Rockets 10-07-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf
Only if they sign Juan Gonzalez.

LMAO

wolfpack0735 10-07-2006 06:41 PM

only if they spend some big money on several players .but that will never happen. LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-07-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I'd be interested in hearing where the holes at several positions are, besides shortstop.

Umm...pretty much every outfield position, short, second base, first base, arguably catcher.

This is what I don't get about the Royals...people say that their offense was good...they finished last in Homers, third from the bottom in runs, last in slugging, 10th out of 14 in batting average, 11th in on base %...

So let's say Alex Gordon is ready next year, I guess he could play third and Teahan could play first or vice versa. But Gordon has also never proven that he can produce on a major league level, and Teahan has only done if for one (very impressive but still short-lived) hot streak.

DeJesus should be a platoon-player (I don't think he's a Centerfielder on a good team), Emil Brown is thoroughly mediocre, Berroa is Berroa, Grudzielanek is decaying, Reggie Sanders is 4000 years old and can't hit a high fastball...still...What makes anyone think Buck is capable as a starting backstop...he hit .245, had an OPS of .700, and isn't exactly Pudge when calling a game.

the Royals were last in the majors in ERA, last in WHIP, and last in Ks. They gave up more hits than anyone and walked more than any team but the Cubs.

Other than that, they are poised for a run.

tk13 10-07-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
Umm...pretty much every outfield position, short, second base, first base, arguably catcher.

This is what I don't get about the Royals...people say that their offense was good...they finished last in Homers, third from the bottom in runs, last in slugging, 10th out of 14 in batting average, 11th in on base %...

So let's say Alex Gordon is ready next year, I guess he could play third and Teahan could play first or vice versa. But Gordon has also never proven that he can produce on a major league level, and Teahan has only done if for one (very impressive but still short-lived) hot streak.

DeJesus should be a platoon-player (I don't think he's a Centerfielder on a good team), Emil Brown is thoroughly mediocre, Berroa is Berroa, Grudzielanek is decaying, Reggie Sanders is 4000 years old and can't hit a high fastball...still...What makes anyone think Buck is capable as a starting backstop...he hit .245, had an OPS of .700, and isn't exactly Pudge when calling a game.

the Royals were last in the majors in ERA, last in WHIP, and last in Ks. They gave up more hits than anyone and walked more than any team but the Cubs.

Other than that, they are poised for a run.

Well... I don't even know what to say to all that. I completely disagree with almost everything you wrote here, except for that the pitching needs a lot of work. Especially that DeJesus is a platoon player, I don't even know what to say to that, the offense was 1000 times better when he came back from injury. And Ryan Shealy is the first baseman. You need to do a lot more research.