ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV How much of a (n intellectual property) pirate are you? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270433)

DaFace 02-26-2013 05:30 PM

How much of a (n intellectual property) pirate are you?

This is a spinoff of a thread in the media center, but I hope you'll indulge me and let it hang out here for a bit.

I'm just curious to see how the plethora of legal options to obtain movies, TV, and music has impacted piracy.

The basic idea is - do you obtain media for use in your home legally, or do you pirate it?

Poll on the way.

Rasputin 02-26-2013 05:32 PM

IBP

Rasputin 02-26-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9442272)
IBP

In Before Poll

mikeyis4dcats. 02-26-2013 05:35 PM

you lack options for entirely legal.

I torrent tv shows, but that is the majority of what i do, except for some kids movies here and there

Urc Burry 02-26-2013 05:36 PM

100% of my music.. And I stream the occasional tv show/movie.. That's about as far as it goes

DaFace 02-26-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9442283)
you lack options for entirely legal.

I torrent tv shows, but that is the majority of what i do, except for some kids movies here and there

Yeah, I thought about going with a 100%-0% scale on everything, but it got too crazy, so I fuzzed up the categories a bit. My apologies.

KurtCobain 02-26-2013 05:37 PM

Music and books are the only thing I pirate. The occasional movie.

DaFace 02-26-2013 05:38 PM

Also, I screwed up the poll, so the first 4 people who respondent weren't counted correctly. I'd fix it if I'd made the poll public, but I can't now. So sorry. I fail.

The Franchise 02-26-2013 05:38 PM

I put mostly legal on a couple because I'll borrow CDs or movies from friends/family and rip them onto a hard drive.

RedDread 02-26-2013 05:39 PM

I pirate the hell out some movies, only Game of Thrones as far as TV goes because HBO doesn't have an online service available without an active sub.

For music I try to support the artists I really like, but I end up downloading a lot of stuff and keeping it if it's good. If I love it I'll typically buy it.

I don't pirate video games or software that often, again because I want to support the developers but also because pirates have a habit of putting nasty shit in there.

Sassy Squatch 02-26-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9442260)
This is a spinoff of a thread in the media center, but I hope you'll indulge me and let it hang out here for a bit.

I'm just curious to see how the plethora of legal options to obtain movies, TV, and music has impacted piracy.

The basic idea is - do you obtain media for use in your home legally, or do you pirate it?

Poll on the way.

Nice try FBI.

DaFace 02-26-2013 05:43 PM

As for me, I'm almost entirely legal with regard to:
-Movies - Vudu and Netflix take care of most of it, though I did have to pirate Star Wars last weekend because no one has it for streaming.
-Music - I use Spotify, so I rarely have a need for something that's not on there.
-Video games - I don't do PC games, and it's too much of a pain to pirate console games.
-Books - I don't read enough to put a lot of effort into pirating those, though I have downloaded an audio book of a book I was reading from time to time.

Mostly legal with regard to:
-TV Shows - I can find most of what I want on Hulu or Netflix, but there are still a lot of shows that just aren't on there.
-Computer software - C'mon...do people at home REALLY pay full price for Microsoft Office and Photoshop?

chefsos 02-26-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9442307)
Nice try FBI.

In fact...yes, it was. /Actual FBI; standing behind you

Lex Luthor 02-26-2013 05:43 PM

I pirate a lot of movies and TV shows. I justify it to myself by saying that I wouldn't have purchased those things anyway, but the reality is that the temptation is so great and it's so easy to do that it's hard to resist.

I don't pirate software. That just seems different somehow. Don't ask me why, because I can't explain it.

Stanley Nickels 02-26-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9442307)
Nice try FBI.