ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals up 13-3 ? Will they blow it ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=30668)

ROYC75 04-17-2002 08:58 PM

Royals up 13-3 ? Will they blow it ?

Ya know, anything is possible with this bullpen !:grr:

chiefsfan58 04-17-2002 09:32 PM

up 16-3, bottom of the 9th with 2 outs... the odds of losing are like 1/10000000000000000

Valiant 04-17-2002 09:34 PM

game will proly end us winning 16-9

tk13 04-18-2002 12:25 AM

16-3...wow..put a thumping on the Twinkies. Too bad we're probably used our run allotment for the rest of the week. That powerhouse bullpen should be able to handle the load though. :rolleyes:

And how 'bout those Mariners...went 10-0 on a 10 game road trip. Looks like they're back in form. I think on paper they may very well be a better team than last year, as scary as that may sound.

Imon Yourside 04-18-2002 01:26 AM

figures they would win that big. after watching the last 2 games in a row, i thought about watching the game. then i suddenly got a sick feeling in my stomach, and wouldn't you know it they played their best game of the year! hmmmm, i think i found a pattern here. I AM BAD LUCK! so if i don't watch the rest of the year we will win 150+games!

tk13 04-18-2002 01:30 AM

Make sure to head over to the brand new Royals discussion forum! :D

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forum...?s=&forumid=16

Abba-Dabba 04-18-2002 01:36 AM

Ok baseball experts. I need your advice.

This is my 1st year playing fantasy baseball.

My roster consists of

Orlando Hernandez NYY
Jeff Suppan KC
Ben Sheets MIL
Micheal Barrett MON
Shea Hillenbrand BOS
Derek Jeter NYY
Jaque Jones MIN
Johnny Damon BOS

Do you see anything that I could improve on? I'm thinking the pitching dept. could use an upgrade, am I right?

I don't know much about baseball so any advice would be very very appreciative.

tk13 04-18-2002 01:37 AM

What kind of league are you in and what statistical categories are used?

Hydrae 04-18-2002 01:48 AM

Oh no you don't! I have never gotten involved in fantasy games outside of football and, this year, Nascar. Oh, and the NCAA tourney one too.

In other words, when it comes to fantasy baseball, I am clueless! :D

Abba-Dabba 04-18-2002 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tk13
What kind of league are you in and what statistical categories are used?
I decided to go the free route with this because it is my 1st year doing this. But I just play in the SportingNews and the scoring is like this.

Hitting
Out (0-for-1)* -2
Run Scored 5
Single 5
Double 10
Triple 15
Home Run 20
RBI 5
Walk / Hit By Pitch 3
Strikeout -1
Stolen Base 10
Caught Stealing -5

Pitching
Win 30
Save 30
Loss -15
Inning Pitched 15
Hit Allowed -5
Earned Run Allowed -10
Walk / Hit Batsman -3
Strikeout 3

tk13 04-18-2002 02:13 AM

Ok...your pitching could probably use an upgrade. Hernandez could pick up a fair amount of wins if he stays healthy just because he plays for the Yankees. Sheets should be solid, hope he avoids the sophomore slump..and Suppan...well...he's Suppan. :D Those last two could end up giving you more losses than wins, although Sheets could slide slighty above .500 if he pitches really well and they find somebody to close games.

You get 8 players...is there like a free agent list you can select from or it is like a salary cap game where everyone has a value and you have to keep it under the cap?

I'd start by fortifying your pitching staff. I'm a big, big pitching homer when it comes to fantasy baseball. I always try to get guys who will be reliable for me on the mound every time out and try to build solid hitting around it. With losses giving you a -15...you might be better off taking an average fourth or fifth starter from a really good team over a average one or two from a team that won't win many games. Also, if a save's worth 30 pts and there aren't any decent starters..you might want to try getting a closer. A good closer will get twice as many saves as the best starter will have wins. I'd only go after a really reliable closer though, as any runs he gives up will really hurt because he doesn't pitch as many innings.

Don't kill me if this doesn't work. :D It's harder to play fantasy baseball than almost any other fantasy sport. I'm always tinkering with my team to see what works best. I usually end up doing pretty good though.

Abba-Dabba 04-18-2002 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tk13
You get 8 players...is there like a free agent list you can select from or it is like a salary cap game where everyone has a value and you have to keep it under the cap?
Salary cap, everyplayer is available. I am thinking I should dump Sheets. Not impressed with last 2 outings. Suppy hasn't been to bad but I have thought to replace him with Byrd(gotta have a Royals pitcher, don't ask) would save some money and produce better than Suppy. So dump Sheets for a reliever?

tk13 04-18-2002 12:00 PM

I don't know, Sheets has pitched pretty well and he's probably come cheap. He was ejected from his last start because he was ejected in a fight. Otherwise, his stats look pretty decent. The only question will be if he'll be able to pick up wins. I don't know if I'd dump him for a closer, I might dump him if you could find a better starter cheap though.

Do you just start out with a specific amount to spend and then that number can go higher/lower depending on the value of your players? I've played games like that..where the players values changed from week to week based on how many people had them on their team. It throws a big economic wrench in your gameplan. I always tried to play those like the stock market..buy low, sell high. I did that one year in a game that started off with 75 mil to spend and ended up with 98 million dollars, the most in the league. I finished in 2nd place though, so I don't know if I'd call it a success.

Abba-Dabba 04-19-2002 03:20 AM

Thanksfor the help! I really appreciate it.

I did not take your advice though(hardheaded) I dropped Sheets for Sasaki