ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2014-2015 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282513)

O.city 11-04-2014 09:50 AM

Lucas is gonna end up playing a big role. Really like guys that progress like him

sedated 11-04-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11083726)
Lucas is gonna end up playing a big role. Really like guys that progress like him

I know I don’t have much reason to doubt the way that Self and company develop bigs, but I’m a bit worried about the forward position. Perry is a scorer, Cliff is unknown as a freshman, but those are the only 2 bigs that can be expected to be more than just role players. Traylor and Lucas will get some rebounds and Mickelson should block some shots, but little else can be expected beyond that.

First world problems, I know.

saphojunkie 11-04-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

When you first look at him, he just seems like he's going to be a soft player. But every time he hustles, fights, scraps, and brings down tough rebounds. You can fake scoring. You can fake assists and steals.

You can't fake blocks and rebounds. He gets those. Lucas will play and contribute. He might get minutes this year because of need, but by his Junior and Senior years, he'll get minutes because of production.

saphojunkie 11-04-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 11083767)
I know I don’t have much reason to doubt the way that Self and company develop bigs, but I’m a bit worried about the forward position. Perry is a scorer, Cliff is unknown as a freshman, but those are the only 2 bigs that can be expected to be more than just role players. Traylor and Lucas will get some rebounds and Mickelson should block some shots, but little else can be expected beyond that.

First world problems, I know.

What exactly is the problem here? Darrell Arthur could score and Cole Aldrich was unknown as a freshman. Sausha Kaun got some rebounds and Darnell Jackson blocked some shots. Little else was needed beyond that.

First world problems, indeed.

PS Cliff looked like a mother****ing beast. Better feet, better hands, better touch, better awareness around the basket than any time I watched him in high school. He's clearly putting in the work.

Braincase 11-04-2014 11:13 AM

Mickelson wasn't long on minutes, but he certainly made the most of the minutes he had. Saw him block 2 shots on the same possession, and scored with ease. He could be a surprise.

O.city 11-04-2014 11:24 AM

I dunno. I feel like Lucas is a great fit in Selfs hi low offense. He's gonna end up being the typical Kansas Big man, in the role of Sasha.

sedated 11-04-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 11083771)
What exactly is the problem here? Darrell Arthur could score and Cole Aldrich was unknown as a freshman. Sausha Kaun got some rebounds and Darnell Jackson blocked some shots. Little else was needed beyond that.

First world problems, indeed.

I know its nit-picking. But the biggest role players in 2008 were all upperclassmen on a team that had developed together over several years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 11083771)
PS Cliff looked like a mother****ing beast. Better feet, better hands, better touch, better awareness around the basket than any time I watched him in high school. He's clearly putting in the work.

I'm reserving all judgment until we play against a real team. Everyone over 6'8" looked like a beast because it was a scrimmage against a JUCO.

Kentucky awaits in 2 weeks. We shall see.

saphojunkie 11-04-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 11083876)
I know its nit-picking. But the biggest role players in 2008 were all upperclassmen on a team that had developed together over several years.

I'm reserving all judgment until we play against a real team. Everyone over 6'8" looked like a beast because it was a scrimmage against a JUCO.

Kentucky awaits in 2 weeks. We shall see.

Yes, but I'm not talking about his physical domination. I'm talking about things that don't improve against inferior competition. Nimble feet are nimble feet. Spacial awareness isn't affected by going against WCS vs. Alex North. I was surprised by those things, not by his physical domination.

You're right about 2008, but I will say that one of the things I love about this team is that Perry, Traylor, Greene, Mason, Graham, Lucas, Sviatoslav, and Mickelson should all be back next year as well. I think Cliff is long gone, and I'm 50/50 on Selden and Oubre.

Bambi 11-04-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 11083898)
Yes, but I'm not talking about his physical domination. I'm talking about things that don't improve against inferior competition. Nimble feet are nimble feet. Spacial awareness isn't affected by going against WCS vs. Alex North. I was surprised by those things, not by his physical domination.

You're right about 2008, but I will say that one of the things I love about this team is that Perry, Traylor, Greene, Mason, Graham, Lucas, Sviatoslav, and Mickelson should all be back next year as well. I think Cliff is long gone, and I'm 50/50 on Selden and Oubre.

Oubre might be gone by January.

Pablo 11-04-2014 12:23 PM

I didn't get a chance to watch this one; and I'm not all that upset. I am ready to beat the piss out of Kentucky here in a few weeks.

Kiimo 11-04-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 11083986)
I didn't get a chance to watch this one; and I'm not all that upset. I am ready to beat the piss out of Kentucky here in a few weeks.

:shake:

I want it too, just sayin.

Prison Bitch 11-04-2014 01:42 PM

We need some wins vs Kentucky, 6-21 vs them. (They are 13-23 vs UNC so it happens to everyone). 5-6 since Larry arrived. Ted went 1-11 vs them mostly during the 70s when we were down. A few fun facts:

-We lost in Lexington in 1951. They conveniently missed the return trip next season when we went 28-3 and won it all.

-from 1969-1984 the series missed on one year. After losing at Lexington in 1969 they skipped the return trip when we went 27-3 and got to the Final Four

-after winning three straight with Self 2005-7, Kentucky declined to continue the series

-we finished ahead of them in Sagarin 6 of the past 7 years. Only year we didn't, we played their NC team of 2012 twice

-on12/10/77 we hosted them and held "Adolph Rupp Night" for our former alum at AFH. Rupp died that evening in Lexington.

saphojunkie 11-04-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 11083972)
Oubre might be gone by January.

?

Buehler445 11-04-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 11083663)
Everyone should be fine, except for Greene. He suffered a concussion.

That blows. That's not what exhibition. Is for.

Quote:

I've been a huge Lucas homer since this time last year. Love to watch him play.

BWillie 11-04-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 11083861)
Mickelson wasn't long on minutes, but he certainly made the most of the minutes he had. Saw him block 2 shots on the same possession, and scored with ease. He could be a surprise.

I would like to see Mickelson play quite a bit, just because of this skillset. We all know how big of a difference having a guy who can block shots in the middle is. He's as good at it as any, and that can cover up huge holes defensively.