ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Pre-snap reads (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269304)

FRCDFED 01-25-2013 12:29 PM

Pre-snap reads

There has been a lot of talk about the physical attributes of the QB's that are available through the draft and FA this year because of our obvious need. Many rely to statistical accomplishments as a measure of how good a player is. This includes YAC and average pass play yardage. Both can be inflenced by physical attributes such as arm strength and mobility. Others tend to say "its a product of the system" they play in.

IMO the complexity of the system may or may not require the QB's to develop on the ability to engage in pre-snap reads that would be more of the "mental" aspect of the game. The reads may require a QB to audible to a play with a higher percentage of success. IMO this has been one of the downfalls of the Chiefs QB's of late. They have not developed these skills and we haven't had the coaching staff to teach them.

I would rather have an accurate QB who can make good pre-snap reads over a QB with better physical attributes. Regardless, the players coming out in the draft have had successful college careers for the most part and can play ball.

Which QB's available through the draft or otherwise have a strong mental capacity to engage in pre-snap reads?

FRCDFED 01-25-2013 12:30 PM

Pre-snap reads

There has been a lot of talk about the physical attributes of the QB's that are available through the draft and FA this year because of our obvious need. Many rely to statistical accomplishments as a measure of how good a player is. This includes YAC and average pass play yardage. Both can be inflenced by physical attributes such as arm strength and mobility. Others tend to say "its a product of the system" they play in.

IMO the complexity of the system may or may not require the QB's to develop on the ability to engage in pre-snap reads that would be more of the "mental" aspect of the game. The reads may require a QB to audible to a play with a higher percentage of success. IMO this has been one of the downfalls of the Chiefs QB's of late. They have not developed these skills and we haven't had the coaching staff to teach them.

I would rather have an accurate QB who can make good pre-snap reads over a QB with better physical attributes. Regardless, the players coming out in the draft have had successful college careers for the most part and can play ball.

Which QB's available through the draft or otherwise have a strong mental capacity to engage in pre-snap reads?

Rasputin 01-25-2013 12:33 PM

Q repost

Rasputin 01-25-2013 12:36 PM

Q repost

BlackHelicopters 01-25-2013 12:37 PM

Any QB who can point out the "Mike" linebacker is a Pro-bowler in my book.

Rasputin 01-25-2013 12:37 PM

Geno Smith

KCUnited 01-25-2013 12:37 PM

tl;dpsr

Dante84 01-25-2013 12:37 PM

Prior to opening this thread, I noticed the OP was showing twin threads. Naturally, I figured the thread would suck. As I opened the thread and it began to develop, my instinct was right, and I threw the thread away rather than trying to make something out of nothing.

Rasputin 01-25-2013 12:38 PM

Geno Smith

Rambozo 01-25-2013 12:38 PM

The best guys at pre-snap reads are Barkley and Wilson imo. Those two had the ability to audible and change plays and when you watch the tape, you will sometimes see them pointing out assignments under center. barkley will probably be the best at making reads in general - before or after the snap.

Geno often looks suprised and holds the ball a long time before he throws it because he seems to never have an idea of what is coming. To me, it seems like Geno never watched much tape of opposing defenses and it was all about WV doing what they do (never changing their offense). When I watched Geno, 90% of the time he knew which WR he was going to do before the play was ever called. It was going to the guy they practiced throwing it to. You see a lot of the same plays with Geno that are used over and over. He doesn't make many after the snap reads either. He does this maybe 10% of the time.

Nassib and Dysert struggle with reads in general. Before and after the snap. These guys have big issues in this department imo.

beach tribe 01-25-2013 12:38 PM

Omaha! Omaha!!

Rasputin 01-25-2013 12:39 PM

Omaha! Omaha!!

beach tribe 01-25-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9350472)
The best guys at pre-snap reads are Barkley and Wilson imo. Those two had the ability to audible and change plays and when you watch the tape, you will sometimes see them pointing out assignments under center. barkley will probably be the best at making reads in general - before or after the snap.

Geno often looks suprised and holds the ball a long time before he throws it because he seems to never have an idea of what is coming. To me, it seems like Geno never watched much tape of opposing defenses and it was all about WV doing what they do (never changing their offense). When I watched Geno, 90% of the time he knew which WR he was going to do before the play was ever called. It was going to the guy they practiced throwing it to. You see a lot of the same plays with Geno that are used over and over. He doesn't make many after the snap reads either. He does this maybe 10% of the time.

Nassib and Dysert struggle with reads in general. Before and after the snap. These guys have big issues in this department imo.

What city do you live in?

loochy 01-25-2013 12:40 PM

This is way better than your other pre-snap read thread

King_Chief_Fan 01-25-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9350455)

like Trent Green?