ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Are KC's starting linebackers appreciably better as they stand today? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111948)

HC_Chief 03-10-2005 09:38 AM

No. Bell is an upgrade over Barber, but the rest of the LB corps is still pathetic. (well, Fujita's not "pathetic" - he shows a lot of potential and sometimes "flashes" of being a good LB; he just needs to lern how to complete a tackle more consistently)

Mitchell = suck
Fox = complete no-show
Caver = suck
Jones = suck
Beisel = suck (good on ST tho')
Scanlon = suck (AND constantly blocks in the back on ST)

htismaqe 03-10-2005 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
No. Bell is an upgrade over Barber, but the rest of the LB corps is still pathetic.

Bell and Barber don't play the same position.

HC_Chief 03-10-2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufusmaqe
Bell and Barber don't play the same position.

They both play OLB.

Chiefnj 03-10-2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
They both play OLB.

When is the last time Bell played the WILL?

bricks 03-10-2005 09:44 AM

I'd love for the Chiefs to draft an OLB in the first round. Are Johnson, Burnett, and Crowder the top Lbing prospects this upcoming draft? We gotta get another Lber, imo.

HC_Chief 03-10-2005 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj

Well, SOMEONE has to play it. Again, KC and Barber are working on terms for an injury settlement, or they have already come to terms on said settlement. It's been mentioned several times on 810 and 610. I assume then, that he's gone.

We signed Bell - a guy who has played Sam and Mike. Statements have been made that he's not necessarily going to be playing MLB - so that puts him at Sam or WIll. Considering the fact that he's a better LB than Fujita, I would assume we'd put him at his natural position and move Fujita over to Will. (bug assumption, I know - but it makes sense: take advantage of Bell's strengths and move Fujita to a position that, IMO, he can play due to his size/spedd ratio)

LiL stumppy 03-10-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Despite the howls of outrage about the secondary [and I concede that beaucoup howling was justified], the weakest point of our Defense was MLB. Although I wanted Hartwell [and still harbor the secret hope that he will sign with KC], Bell is a tremendous upgrade [if he remains healthy].

So, with the injury caveat in place, the answer is: yes, they are appreciably better.

xoxo~
Gaz
Had really high hopes for Mitchell, but finally had to get off that wagon.

Mitchell is younge,I till like him and thinks he has a chance.He had the second most tackles last year.Many people thought he was getting better,and I do too.I think time behind Bell would improve him and I do think he will be a good MLB.

WilliamTheIrish 03-10-2005 11:15 AM

We have one good LB now. That's it.

Hoiw anybody can believe that appearance of Bell will magically make Fujita wrap up better or make Mitchell useful in any way is beyond me.

Hartwell, Hartwell, Hartwell.

HC_Chief 03-10-2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish
We have one good LB now. That's it.

Hoiw anybody can believe that appearance of Bell will magically make Fujita wrap up better or make Mitchell useful in any way is beyond me.

Hartwell, Hartwell, Hartwell.

Nodding in agreement

Chris Meck 03-10-2005 01:45 PM

I would think that as it stands right now, Bell would be our MLB, and probably stay on in nickel and dime packages, as he's instantly our best and most versatile LB.

I agree that Fujita has promise and has shown at times that he's got some ability, but that perhaps he's guilty of that 'trying to do too much' thing.

Mitchell was maddenly inconsistent, Fox played preciously little, and Beisel was awful raw. Barber is likely to not play at all for the Chiefs this season (injury settlement?).

All of that being said, Hartwell signing would likely move Bell to OLB, and a Hartwell/Bell/Fujita starting lineup would be fierce indeed. I like that idea-although it leaves us with no $$ to grab a corner. There's certainly something to forming ONE dominant unit on the team, and this would likely make our LB corps one to be feared.

I agree with Gaz that somewhere in our safety to corner prospects, we should be able to find a good safety, be it Bartee, Battle, or Harts. No more safeties, at least not this year, and let's put those guys back in their natural positions and fight it out.

I really wish Fox hadn't basically missed the whole season so we knew what we had there...if he's a player, it sure would be nice to just add Bell and a corner and look to the draft for BAA.

Just my .02

Chris

whoman69 03-10-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj

Who would play WILL if we get Hartwell?