ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Richard Matheson dead.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274079)

Deberg_1990 06-24-2013 06:39 PM

Richard Matheson dead..

RIP

http://io9.com/r-i-p-richard-matheso...many-564036878

Beloved author Richard Matheson passed yesterday at the age of 87, after a long illness. Best known for his seminal work I Am Legend, he leaves not just a legacy of great science fiction, but an indelible mark on American pop culture.

Along with I Am Legend, Matheson wrote What Dreams May Come, A Stir of Echoes, and The Shrinking Man, all of which became Hollywood movies (in the case of I Am Legend, more than a few times). He was also one of the original Twilight Zone's greatest screenwriters, penned the classic William Shatner-starring episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." His Twilight Zone episode "Steel" became the basis for Real Steel, starring Hugh Jackman.

But Matheson was hardly just a Hollywood idea factory. Matheson's dark, existentialist style influenced science fiction in every medium. His prose was humanist, but it was also bleak and ambiguous in a way that science fiction hadn't been before, revealing the way the ambiguities of human nature play into stories of the fantastic.

Ray Bradbury called him "one of the most important writers of the 20th century," and Stephen King credited Matheson as "the author who influenced me most as a writer."

Said Matheson, himself in a 2007 interview with CinemaSpy:

"I think we're yearning for something beyond the every day. And I will tell you I don't believe in the supernatural, I believe in the supernormal. To me there is nothing that goes against nature. If it seems incomprehensible, it's only because we haven't been able to understand it yet."
And in an interview in Cemetery Dance, Matheson said he usually identified with his main characters to the point of becoming them:

Pretty much the main character is always me. The man in I Am Legend is me. The man in The Shrinking Man, that’s me. Stir Of Echos, that’s me. What Dreams May Come, me. ... When I’m writing, especially when I’m writing in first person, I don’t think about the characterization, or how they are going to express themselves, I just express my own approach to these things. I think most writers can never divorce themselves from their private lives and personas; they are the ones that are writing. And the more they remove themselves from their own persona, the more, perhaps, mechanical the work becomes.
In another interview, Matheson explained where the idea for I Am Legend came from:

The idea for I Am Legend came to me when I was about 16. I went to see Dracula and the thought occurred that, if one vampire was scary, a world filled with vampires would really be scary. I did not write the book until 1952. We lived in Gardena, California and I set the story there, using our house as Neville's house. I think that ascribing metaphors to a book after it is written is silly. My son Richard provided a much more likely one- that it was prophetic because of AIDS. I don't think the book means anything more than it is: the story of a man trying to survive in a world of vampires.
Matheson was inducted in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in 2010, and was a winner of both the Bram Stoker Award and World fantasy Awards, both for Lifetime Achievement.

His daughter wrote on Facebook:

My beloved father passed away yesterday at home surrounded by the people and things he loved...he was funny, brilliant, loving, generous, kind, creative, and the most wonderful father ever...I miss you and love you forever Pop and I know you are now happy and healthy in a beautiful place full of love and joy you always knew was there...

ChiefsFanatic 06-24-2013 11:44 PM

I Am Legend is the greatest horror novel ever written. The Will Smith movie was an abortion.

Bump 06-24-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 9773771)
I Am Legend is the greatest horror novel ever written. The Will Smith movie was an abortion.

ya, one of my favorite books. The movie was pathetic.

Rasputin 06-24-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 9773771)

Good I wasn't going to watch the movie but if the book is good I'd probably read it. I've found out that books tend to be much better than the movies.

R.I.P Matheson, loved Twilight Zone.

KC-TBB 06-25-2013 05:09 AM

Legend was NOT very good, but I've seen worse

Frosty 06-25-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC-TBB (Post 9773914)
Legend was NOT very good, but I've seen worse

It's also better if you watch it with the alternate ending that is closer to the book's.

Rausch 06-25-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9773975)
It's also better if you watch it with the alternate ending that is closer to the book's.

I wouldn't say it's close to the book's at all.

I'd say the old Vincent Price version was the closest...

Buck 06-25-2013 07:38 AM

I Am Legend is probably my favorite horror novel of all time.

The movie only slightly resembles the book. The book is a 10, the movie is a 3.

Frosty 06-25-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9773984)
I wouldn't say it's close to the book's at all.

I'd say the old Vincent Price version was the closest...

Well, I did say "closer", not "close". The theatrical ending was terrible.