ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Jets exploring trade options for Revis? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269235)

O.city 01-23-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9345723)
Unless you trade him and sign a friendly extension at the same time, what's the point? In effect we would trade a second rounder for one year of Revis on a rebuilding team and the right to negotiate for a year.

The guy is obviously going to go to whoever pays him the most, so either wait a year and open up the pocketbook (and devote $140 million to CBs) or let someone else trade assets for him.

It's the type of deal fans love and that gets GMs fired: short-sighted band-aids.

Where is the 140 million coming from?

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345729)
Where is the 140 million coming from?

$60 million for Flowers+the other trash on the roster+$80 million for Revis.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9345727)
You mean the guy who isn't a free agent?

Also, you can't possibly believe that a player like Revis would agree to a contract that didn't include large sums of guaranteed money.

Well, yeah obviously he would want alot. So pay him.

And he'll be a free agent next year, then would you pay for him?

BossChief 01-23-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345718)
You mean like the unquestioned best CB in the NFL?

Length of contracts aren't as important, it's all about guaranteed money. We've paid top dollar to shitstains like Cassel and Jackson, yet some of you aren't ok with paying top dollar for hte best CB in the league?

He WAS the best corner in football, 2 years ago.

Here's another factor...under Crennel we played RCB/LCB and didn't move guys around to shadow top receivers while the Jets did.

We get Revis, he gets the top guy and Flowers would almost always get the #2 WR.

That's a big factor when you figure in the quality of our potential as a disruptive front 7.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2013 07:39 PM

It also violates a pretty good de facto rule: Unless the guy is a QB, don't give him a third contract.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9345732)
$60 million for Flowers+the other trash on the roster+$80 million for Revis.

Well, you aren't likely to end up paying him all that money. Depending on what you guaranteed him, you could front end the money.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9345735)
It also violates a pretty good de facto rule: Unless the guy is a QB, don't give him a third contract.

Well, yeah. But technically this is his 3rd deal, but he's still 27

Frazod 01-23-2013 07:41 PM

Cassel for Revis! We'll even throw in Quinn! :titus:

BossChief 01-23-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Unless you trade him and sign a friendly extension at the same time, what's the point? In effect we would trade a second rounder for one year of Revis on a rebuilding team and the right to negotiate for a year.

The guy is obviously going to go to whoever pays him the most, so either wait a year and open up the pocketbook (and devote $140 million to CBs) or let someone else trade assets for him.

It's the type of deal fans love and that gets GMs fired: short-sighted band-aids.

If we could get him for the first pick in the third round, I'd jump on that...trading our second rounder would be worth it if he agrees to sign.

Easy 6 01-23-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

This.

It just isnt a good idea for this team, if we were a top corner away from contending it'd be a different story.

TribalElder 01-23-2013 07:44 PM

Draft honey badger

Team him up with our puff puff pass rush

Profit

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9345744)
This.

It just isnt a good idea for this team, if we were a top corner away from contending it'd be a different story.

This is where I fall. You can also make the argument that players of Revis' talent are a fit anywhere, but for a team that has a ton of holes, giving up the opportunity for cheap, cost-controlled young players for a player probably at the tail end of his prime pulls us in two separate directions.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:46 PM

I'm also assuming he's gonna stay in his prime until he's 32,33. Probably won't, but if that were the case, I'd be more inclined.

tk13 01-23-2013 07:48 PM

Cue my usual "Cornerbacks don't win titles" rant. I don't feel like typing it anymore.

In reality, they can help... but teams that shoot their wad on CB never win. Although I know I've enjoyed watching Brandon Carr in the playoffs the last couple weeks.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9345743)
If we could get him for the first pick in the third round, I'd jump on that...trading our second rounder would be worth it if he agrees to sign.

Say we do trade for Revis. What are the odds he actually signs in KC for anything less than the biggest contract he'd get?

What are the odds he would not take KC's offer of the biggest contract if he were in New York, Dallas, or Tampa?

He'll go where the money is, IMO. Therefore unless one year of Revis> 4-5 of a #65 pick and the surplus money from not paying for that year, you don't make the trade.

I don't see how that equation points to us trading for him, unless for some reason the guy likes holding out for reasons other than money.