ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto No compass! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283204)

gblowfish 04-24-2014 01:11 PM

No compass!

I have this amazing knack of needing repairs on things I own that nobody can figure out how to fix. Latest example. I sent this email to a company that specializes in fixing or replacing compass/clock/odometer units in the roof console of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Here's what I told them the problem was:

Sirs: I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the basic Chrysler style overhead clock/temp/compass and also warning messages on coolant, doors not closed, etc. It only works when it's like 100 degrees outside! What could be causing this? My mechanic has no clue. Have you fixed these before, and if so, do you have instructions on how to safely remove it from the ceiling of the Jeep? Vehicle Year, Make, Model : Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 2002

Email answer I got back: We've looked at several of these and still can't find what the problem is. I'm thinking that the computer chip itself becomes temp sensitive. Please let me know if you find a solution to this. I'd be happy to reexamine the problem if we can get more info. For now I'd say check eBay for replacement units.

Any of you guys had this happen with a Jeep, Chrysler Mini Van, Dodge Durango, or other vehicle that has the standard Mopar clock/temp/compass display built into the roof in the roof, centered above the dash?

Gonzo 04-24-2014 01:24 PM

Molecules expand in the heat. Therefore, you're ****ed.

penguinz 04-24-2014 01:47 PM

Jeeps have always struggled with electrical features in them. Get on KC Jeep Club or Jeepforum.com for answers.

Dave Lane 04-24-2014 01:48 PM

You have a cold solder joint. It makes contact when it expands to touch the metal near it. You could take it out and resolder the chips or just buy a new one. It will get worse and worse over time.

Eleazar 04-24-2014 01:53 PM

It does sound like cheap solder breaking down over time.

Radar Chief 04-24-2014 02:44 PM

I don’t know, but I’m getting about sick to ****ing death with replacing window regulators in Mrs. Radar’s Liberty. The driver’s side front one went out last night. :cuss: This will be the third one, but at least its not same window every time.

aturnis 04-24-2014 05:48 PM

Could be as simple as thermal cycling loosening an electrical connection...

TribalElder 04-24-2014 06:08 PM

Could be the flux capacitor :shrug:

LoneWolf 04-24-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10583594)

Jeep. Where we're going we don't need roads.

gblowfish 04-24-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10583594)

I'll just replace the thingamabob with a new doohicky and make sure the doodads are okely dokely.

That should fix it.