ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Anybody have a preferred site for guitar tabs? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281288)

htismaqe 02-06-2014 10:16 AM

Anybody have a preferred site for guitar tabs?

I've been using Songsterr because they have entire arrangements so it's really easy to follow along.

However, I've found that the vast majority of the tabs I'm trying out are inaccurate. When I look at the tab and then watch the songs performed live, the fingerings are often way off.

Anybody have a good site they use?

DMAC 02-06-2014 10:33 AM

Ultimate Guitar has good stuff.

A bunch of crap too, though.

QuikSsurfer 02-06-2014 10:47 AM

I used Ultimate Guitar back in the day. Don't read a lot of tablature now...

But as far as tabs being off -- not every artist plays songs the exact same way from studio to live.. But there really is a bunch of shit on all tab sites.

Gadzooks 02-06-2014 10:49 AM

I'll usually try to figure things out for myself but if I'm feeling lazy I'll go to youtube and do a search.
It's way better than looking for a tab because you can see/hear if the guy's playing it right. So many tabs are B.S. and you won't find out until you've invested some time trying to play it.

Lzen 02-06-2014 11:01 AM

Ultimate Guitar is what I use. But like others have said there are always going to be inaccuracies. Still, it is often times a good starting point.

htismaqe 02-06-2014 11:43 AM

How do you guys use Ultimate Guitar? Everything I find is Guitar or Tab Pro and is practically unusable with all the popups wanting you to trial or pay for it.

DMAC 02-06-2014 11:44 AM

What song are you looking for? That may be all that is out there.

htismaqe 02-06-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 10417288)
What song are you looking for? That may be all that is out there.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing now. Some songs have 50 versions, some have 3.

htismaqe 02-06-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 10417215)
I'll usually try to figure things out for myself but if I'm feeling lazy I'll go to youtube and do a search.
It's way better than looking for a tab because you can see/hear if the guy's playing it right. So many tabs are B.S. and you won't find out until you've invested some time trying to play it.

Yeah, Youtube is what I've been trying. It's just a bit hard to follow at times unless it's an instructional video and they're deliberately breaking it down.

The problem that I'm having with learning stuff by ear (and it's the same problem that anybody has that is writing down tablature) is that while the notes might be right, the technique isn't write if you're playing it in the wrong place. And right now, I'm concentrating heavily on technique.

For example, I see a lot of tabs that use open strings and notes in the first 4 frets when I know from watching the song played live that they're playing it in the middle 4 frets using the lower strings.

headsnap 02-06-2014 06:43 PM

I use ultimate guitar and songsterr, but I just them as a starting point... then I will youtube to see what other people are doing then I throw that away and do what my ear tells me...

When I was playing in the Church Praise band on a weekly basis I would get two to 4 new songs to learn for each Sunday(or relearn ones that I hadn't played in a year)... After doing that for four straight years I'm much quicker at picking up new stuff. Also, with that stuff there are so many versions of each song out there you can pretty much get away with playing your own interpretations of the songs...

Brock 02-06-2014 06:58 PM

Marty on youtube.

Demonpenz 02-06-2014 10:05 PM

Trying to nail that intro to Nothing Else Matters.

htismaqe 02-07-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10418100)
Marty on youtube.

Yeah, this whole thought process started the other day when I was posting videos on the Megadeth/Metallica thread. None of the Marty Friedman tabs I can find appear to be correct.

htismaqe 02-07-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10418392)
Trying to nail that intro to Nothing Else Matters.

I ****ing hate that song.

Lzen 02-07-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10418772)
I ****ing hate that song.

Not a big fan of that or the one that they love to play over and over and over, Unforgiven. :banghead:. The rest of the album has some decent stuff on it. Not as good as previous Metallica stuff, but not bad. Wait, are we still in the Metallica vs Megadeth thread?