ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Ender's Game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272831)

Javabean 11-02-2013 05:52 PM

Just saw it. My friend hadn't read the book and thought it was ok. I had read the book, and I thought the movie butchered it. If you like the movie even a little bit, definitely read the book. It does a much better and more interesting job of explaining Ender's rise through battle school and command school and has much better ending. Plus, the movie leaves out everything Ender's two siblings did.

mr. tegu 11-05-2013 05:28 PM

What is the twist? I have no intention of seeing this.

Rausch 11-05-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10163280)

Kahn...

Frazod 11-05-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10163280)

Spoiler!

mr. tegu 11-05-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10163554)
Spoiler!

Sounds interesting. I always just have a hard time being interested in movies where a kid is the hero.

Barret 11-06-2013 12:48 AM

I saw Ender's Game a couple nights ago and enjoyed it. I have read several of the books in the series (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide) as well.

Obviously they cut out a ton from the book but in each film adaption they have to do that. There is no Val / Peter political thing like in the book. Also the Giant scene is cut a lot.

I think the run time was 114 minutes. It would have been nice if they could have extended the Battle School scenes with him leading Dragon army. Like a Montage of battles, this might have been an extra 15 minutes or so maybe, but it would have illustrated how Harrison Ford's character was screwing with Ender and making him fight 2 battles a day and other extremely hard obstacles and Ender still coming out on top.

Anyway overall I liked it.

listopencil 11-06-2013 01:03 AM

a
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 10164648)
I saw Ender's Game a couple nights ago and enjoyed it. I have read several of the books in the series (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide) as well.

Obviously they cut out a ton from the book but in each film adaption they have to do that. There is no Val / Peter political thing like in the book. Also the Giant scene is cut a lot.

I think the run time was 114 minutes. It would have been nice if they could have extended the Battle School scenes with him leading Dragon army. Like a Montage of battles, this might have been an extra 15 minutes or so maybe, but it would have illustrated how Harrison Ford's character was screwing with Ender and making him fight 2 battles a day and other extremely hard obstacles and Ender still coming out on top.

Anyway overall I liked it.

I'm on the fence about seeing it in a theater. I loved the book. I know that the movie can't be the same. But Dune and Starship Troopers left scars, man. Scars.

The Franchise 11-06-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10164660)
a

I'm on the fence about seeing it in a theater. I loved the book. I know that the movie can't be the same. But Dune and Starship Troopers left scars, man. Scars.

This.

I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD and read the book again before I watch it.

Frazod 11-06-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

a

I'm so glad I never read Starship Troopers.

The Franchise 11-06-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10165812)
I'm so glad I never read Starship Troopers.

Dude....that book is ****ing SOOOOOOOOO much better than the movie. Go read it...

Frazod 11-06-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10165819)
Dude....that book is ****ing SOOOOOOOOO much better than the movie. Go read it...

I never read books after I've seen the movie. I tried to read Starship Troopers, Hunt for Red October and a couple of others. I just get bored with it because I already know the outcome.

Only exception to this rule was The Godfather.

Amnorix 11-06-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9662365)
Arguably the best military science fiction novel ever written. I can't wait!

Really? Guess I might have to read this then...

Amnorix 11-06-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

a

Dune never happened. There was no movie named Dune.

Just as there was never a Star Trek V. Why they went from IV to VI I'll never know. Weird, but true.

Scott Pilgrim 11-06-2013 04:19 PM

It didnt suck.... they cut the Val / Peter stuff because alot of it was cold war based and obviously that couldn't go over well. other then that it was just like the book on fast forward

MrNightly 11-06-2013 04:32 PM

I took my girls to see it the other night. They both liked it. the 9 year old more so then the 7 year old.

I thought it was pretty good. It made you leave the theater thinking... which I always enjoy. Nothing ground breaking, but definitely not a waste of money either.

If you are on the fence, see it in the theater.