ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Expanding the NCAA Tournament? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181792)

milkman 03-18-2008 10:10 PM

Expanding the NCAA Tournament?

There's been discussion by some in the media that the NCAA Tournament should be expanded.

Bob Knight suggested it should be expanded to 128 teams.

Why?

At this point in time, a 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed, and if IRCC, the lowest seed to win the tournament is 11.

What would be the point of expanding?

It would be smarter to contract it back to a 48 yeam field.

Demonpenz 03-18-2008 10:13 PM

it would be smart to expand it to make more money

BWillie 03-18-2008 10:23 PM

I think expanding the tournament is the stupidest thing ever. I know everybody loves the tournament and the crapshoot it is but it kind of takes away what you do in the regular season. They need a nice blend between college football and the big dance as it is right now. My suggestion is have a committee at the end of the year put together the top 16 teams. Instead of one game and you are out, they should do it best out of 3. One game is just reeruned. A team can just get hot from three and beat a good team.

If it was in format I described KU would of won about three national championships in the last 20 years instead of one. Suprisingly though the last three years one of the best teams has one it, but expect that to change soon.

milkman 03-18-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 4637993)
it would be smart to expand it to make more money

Yeah.

But from a competitive point of view, any expansion would be ridiculous.

KcMizzou 03-18-2008 10:45 PM

64 is plenty, thank you. I'd say it was too many, if it weren't for the fact that the first couple of days of the tourney are so entertaining.

But no... expanding from here would be silly.

Discuss Thrower 03-18-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4638025)
Yeah.

But from a competitive point of view, any expansion would be ridiculous.

I like Knight's idea, but I think that making all 15 and 16 seeds a play-in-game might be worth it.

milkman 03-18-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Town Fan 1988 (Post 4638032)
I like Knight's idea, but I think that making all 15 and 16 seeds a play-in-game might be worth it.

Well hell, why don't we just let every team in?

Extra Point 03-18-2008 10:49 PM

The NIT has its purpose. Put it back to 64. Winning a Tuesday game so you can get slaughtered a few days later is asinine.

Discuss Thrower 03-18-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4638033)
Well hell, why don't we just let every team in?

Hence why I suggest making the lower seeds a play-in game if there should be any expansion. As of now, you get the talking heads and coaches bitching when the committee doesn't let them in the tournament. Adding seven more play-in games gives teams that might get snubbed a chance to prove that they belonged.. Instead of the NIT or the CBI.. Heh.

milkman 03-18-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Town Fan 1988 (Post 4638037)
Hence why I suggest making the lower seeds a play-in game if there should be any expansion. As of now, you get the talking heads and coaches bitching when the committee doesn't let them in the tournament. Adding seven more play-in games gives teams that might get snubbed a chance to prove that they belonged.. Instead of the NIT or the CBI.. Heh.

And my point is that 16 seeds have never advanced, so why the hell should we even add any teams?

The play in game is a joke.

Bugeater 03-18-2008 10:59 PM

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Thig Lyfe 03-18-2008 11:18 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...rvativecat.jpg

tk13 03-18-2008 11:32 PM

I'm all for dropping an at-large bid and just opening a spot for the two play-in teams. People would complain about the big conferences losing an at-large bid... these 11 and 12 seeds probably aren't winning the whole thing anyway.

At least you're rewarding the teams who actually won their conference, which I like, and you'll still get your first round upsets from time to time. There are two things we usually like about the tourney... watching the small schools earn their one shot to take on the big boys in the 1st round... and then beyond that, watching the conference leaders like UNC, Kansas, UCLA etc meet in the later rounds. Not sitting here figuring out a bunch of average teams in major conferences that you can barely tell apart.

kcxiv 03-18-2008 11:37 PM

get 8 possible 16 seeds and let them all play a game for a chance to play the number 1 team.

alnorth 03-18-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4637986)
IRCC, the lowest seed to win the tournament is 11.

Nope. 1985 Villanova Wildcats (#8) was the lowest seed to win. This was such an outlier, that a #7 seed has never even made it to the championship game.