ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Ocala Florida fines business owner for flying "Dont Tread on Me" flag (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286408)

Deberg_1990 09-09-2014 08:16 PM

Ocala Florida fines business owner for flying "Dont Tread on Me" flag

A Florida small business owner said Monday the city of Ocala has threatened to fine him if he does not immediately take down a Gadsden flag currently displayed outside his store.

Gear Barrel owner Keith Greenberg told TheBlaze that the city said he was permitted to fly the American flag outside his store, but prohibited from displaying anything else outside his business which specializes in selling knives.

“This is a shock,” he said. “Honestly, I feel like this is Russia. I’ve been around the world … this is what you expect in really closed countries where there is no freedom of expression. Not here — so it’s shocking.”

“This is a shock. Honestly, I feel like this is Russia.”
Share:
The flying of the flag appears to be prohibited under the city code of ordinance, section 110-131.

Greenberg told TheBlaze he faces being fined up to $250-$500 per day if he does not comply. He said the potential fines would be devastating to his young small business, which he opened in May.

“The city of Ocala is demanding I take this down,” he told TheBlaze.

Greenberg posted a video to YouTube earlier this month trying to raise awareness of the move being made by the city.

“We find ourselves in a sad place where local municipalities are stepping all over people’s freedom with the signing of a pen,” he said.

Greenberg told TheBlaze he was even more perplexed by the city’s demands because he has spotted other flags being flown at nearby establishments.

Photographs forwarded to TheBlaze show an Ocala car dealership flying the Mexican flag and an Irish bar displaying the Irish flag. It was not clear whether or not the city had also issued similar notices to the other businesses.

The city’s code enforcement office could not immediately be reached Monday night for comment by TheBlaze.

The small business owner said his next move will be to address the city council at their next meeting.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...his-is-russia/

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GCbfOkQILk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze 09-09-2014 08:24 PM

Holder is on the way to sort this out, I'm sure.

gblowfish 09-09-2014 08:24 PM

If he doesn't like the law, he should petition the city of Ocala to change it. Otherwise, he should obey the laws that are in place. That's what good citizens do.

notorious 09-09-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10898828)
If he doesn't like the law, he should petition the city of Ocala to change it. Otherwise, he should obey the laws that are in place. That's what good citizens do.

Yep.

It is a cool flag with a great story behind it, though.

BigMeatballDave 09-09-2014 08:42 PM

Ocala

Bugeater 09-09-2014 08:45 PM

I am failing to feel the outrage here.

TLO 09-09-2014 08:49 PM

I'd rather have Luv bring me grape Gatorade than read another Deberg thread.

Dave Lane 09-09-2014 09:04 PM

Dieberg thread.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-09-2014 09:09 PM

I would rather fly the flag outta my ass than read another one of these abortion of a threads.

TribalElder 09-09-2014 09:23 PM

Dude, thread of the year

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10898828)

I would say freedom of speech supercedes said law. Still, not able to get too worked up about this.

Eleazar 09-09-2014 09:37 PM

I don't understand why it is hard for him to understand. The city ordinance is what it is. Get it changed if you don't like it.

But I guess the publicity might be more valuable than the fine money.

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10899223)
I don't understand why it is hard for him to understand. The city ordinance is what it is. Get it changed if you don't like it.

But I guess the publicity might be more valuable than the fine money.

It sounds like an illegal ordinance, though. I mean it sure looks like he just wants attention, but he has a point.

cosmo20002 09-09-2014 10:11 PM

Cities have rules about signage and shit outside of businesses? Must be the first of its type in the nation!

Next thing, they'll be making rules about how some businesses can only be located in certain "zones" in the city other businesses need to be located in other "zones."

ClevelandBronco 09-09-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10898765)
Greenberg told TheBlaze he faces being fined up to $250-$500 per day if he does not comply. He said the potential fines would be devastating to his young small business, which he opened in May.

I'm thinking there might be a way to avoid those devastating fines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10898765)
The small business owner said his next move will be to address the city council at their next meeting.

See, that's your problem right there, Mr Greenberg. Your next move is to take down the flag. Your next move after taking down the flag is to address the city council at their next meeting.