ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Quarterback Tournament: Somewhere in the Finals (Final Eight) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264876)

COchief 10-09-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8995233)
The same can be said for Elway.

Fantastic rebuttal sir, the only problem is that everytime this question comes up it's "49ers were absolutely loaded, Elway did it with shit teams". Which is a bunch of BS, if Elway had such crappy teams he wouldn't have gone to 4 SBs and gotten his ass kicked in all of them.

COchief 10-09-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8995241)
Steve Young helps prove to some extent how good those teams where.

He is a legit hall of fame QB smart guy, you need a Dilfer to help you argue your point, Young is no where close and was an amazing QB in his own right.

Sofa King 10-09-2012 09:52 AM

Peyton beats out Brady if Peyton was still in Indy.

htismaqe 10-09-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8995241)
Steve Young helps prove to some extent how good those teams where.

Looks like we're talking to a brick wall.

COchief 10-09-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8995276)
Looks like we're talking to a brick wall.

Same could be said for you. Did you actually think about anything or reconsider your stance? I'll make it simple... 4-0 vs 0-4, can you honestly tell me if you had the choice of either QB to start in a SB you would take Elway? Didn't think so.

Also please expand on 55-10 when they met head to head on the biggest stage with both in the prime of their careers?

Rain Man 10-09-2012 10:04 AM

In Elway's first ten years in the league, he threw 158 touchdowns and 157 interceptions. In five of those years he threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

In Elway's first ten years in the league, he had a quarterback rating over 80 in only one year.

In Elway's first ten years in the league, he had a top-ten defense supporting him in five years.

Elway's career rating in Super Bowls is 59.3.

You guys want to pick him for a one-game playoff? Go right ahead and I'll take home the prize, just like most of his big-game opponents. The guy couldn't even stop the band in his last game at Stanford.

Rain Man 10-09-2012 10:11 AM

Elway forced himself onto a team that had been in the Super Bowl six years earlier, and had posted a 50-33 record in those six years. Unlike PManning, Bradshaw, Brady, Montana, and other great quarterbacks, he didn't join a weak team that needed rebuilding. He forced himself onto a consistent playoff team. The only other quarterback in the conversation who had that advantage was Marino, but Marino did it fair and square by having a hurt shoulder and falling in the draft.

Unlike those other quarterbacks, he simply never made those around him better. There's a reason that PManning lifts up Harrison and Clark and Wayne, and Montana lifts up Rice and Taylor and Craig, and Marino lifts up Duper and Clayton, while Elway's receivers never were perceived as anything special. The great quarterbacks created great teammates.

BigCatDaddy 10-09-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8995297)
In Elway's first ten years in the league, he threw 158 touchdowns and 157 interceptions. In five of those years he threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

In Elway's first ten years in the league, he had a quarterback rating over 80 in only one year.

In Elway's first ten years in the league, he had a top-ten defense supporting him in five years.

You guys want to pick him for a one-game playoff? Go right ahead and I'll take home the prize, just like most of his big-game opponents. The guy couldn't even stop the band in his last game at Stanford.

Yep, those don't cut it for me.

COchief 10-09-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8995297)

Ha, Rain Man delivers the knockout blow. What are you boys going to say to that? You're entranced by the rocket arm...

Rain Man 10-09-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick (Post 8995334)
Yep, those don't cut it for me.

And the 'great in the clutch part' was mostly because his defense kept games close.

Oh, and I HATE ELWAY! I HATE HIM! He's every person I can't stand. He's the spoiled rich kid who gets whatever he wants. He's the kid who gets to start because he's the coach's son. He's the guy who gets money and fame thrown at him just because he got an early growth spurt and had a tightly wound right shoulder tendon. The only thing that he didn't get was good looks.

BigCatDaddy 10-09-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 8995339)
Ha, Rain Man delivers the knockout blow. What are you boys going to say to that? You're entranced by the rocket arm...

He passes the eye test man! The eye test!

patteeu 10-09-2012 10:22 AM

Game 1: I voted for Len Dawson although I'm not sure he can make it much further in this competition.

Game 2. Joe Montana did too much over too long of a period for me to vote for the better story guy.

Game 3. John Elway was much better than Brett Favre. He could throw farther, he was more accurate, he was a better runner and he had a bigger... set of teeth. He even cheated better than Favre. The guy was the total package.

Game 4. I don't know what I have against Peyton Manning, but I'd rather have Tom Brady for the big game.

Rain Man 10-09-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8995361)

Game 3.

Okay, you're just toying with me now, aren't you?

suds79 10-09-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 8995287)
Did you actually think about anything or reconsider your stance? I'll make it simple... 4-0 vs 0-4, can you honestly tell me if you had the choice of either QB to start in a SB you would take Elway? Didn't think so.

I have reconsidered my stance and have since changed my mind.

You ask me a year or so ago who would I take #1? I say Montana.

But then I started to think about it. In a way I feel like Joe Montana gets this Michael Jordan treatment. The kind of treatment where they say "He's the best. Always will be." and get p!ssed if you possibly suggest otherwise.

So I thought about it. If all things being equal (team wise). Who would I take?

Both Clutch? Yep. Both accurate? Yep. Both champions? Yep.

Okay. Give me the guy with arguably the greatest skill set ever.

Amnorix 10-09-2012 10:25 AM

I'm shocked....pleased mind you, but shocked, at the Brady beatdown of Manning. Figured it'd be closer.

Not that I'm complaining mind you...