ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Gen. Schwarzkopf (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268096)

LiveSteam 12-28-2012 01:33 AM

Bwahahaha The last one is the best

Frazod 12-28-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9245317)
Bwahahaha The last one is the best

I personally like the Leno quote the best.

Imon Yourside 12-28-2012 02:10 AM

I don't know why we bag on the french so much, their women folk make it all worth it! Bwahahaha! (excluding those with hair down to their arses, from their armpits)

bevischief 12-28-2012 07:42 AM

RIP.

Rasputin 12-28-2012 07:48 AM

Too bad John Goodman is dead he would have played a great Gen Norman Schwarzkopf in the movies.

R.I.P. JG & Gen Schwartzkopf

PhillyChiefFan 12-28-2012 08:38 AM

Wow. RIP Stormin Norman

Dayze 12-28-2012 08:44 AM

RIP norman.

WHen we fight wars, I wish the Politicians would stay out of it and let men like Norman do what is necessary to overwehlm and win a war as quickly as possible.

Pin Head 12-28-2012 08:57 AM

This man deserves credit for more than just the victory of Desert Storm he also deserves some of the credit for restoring public confidence in the American military. His leadership in Desert Storm led to victory couped with low American casualties restored the US military's reputation that was severely tarnished by Vietnam.

Rest in peace General...Sir.

Amnorix 12-28-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9245523)
RIP norman.

WHen we fight wars, I wish the Politicians would stay out of it and let men like Norman do what is necessary to overwehlm and win a war as quickly as possible.

What you're missing is that wars are a political act as well. Sometimes how to "win" is easy and obvious, and that's when what you're saying makes perfect sense. Sometimes how to win is not at all easy or obvious.

You're also making a mistake if you think for a second that all generals agree on how to win a war. The amount of "politics" INTERNAL to the military in a major war is just as significant as the politics external to the military.

Just sayin'

Amnorix 12-28-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9245544)
This man deserves credit for more than just the victory of Desert Storm he also deserves some of the credit for restoring public confidence in the American military. His leadership in Desert Storm led to victory couped with low American casualties restored the US military's reputation that was severely tarnished by Vietnam.

Rest in peace General...Sir.

Good point there.

Rausch 12-28-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9245523)
RIP norman.

This.

He led the only successful war since WWII...

Marcellus 12-28-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9244566)
RIP, General

I had heard he was actually in line to become the first Fifth Star General since Eisenhower, until he questioned H.W. Bush's thinking about not going into Bahgdad and finishing the job the first time. He retired soon thereafter.

You have this completely backwards. Stormin Norman wanted nothing to do with going to Bagdad, the UN Mandate was to free Kuwait which was accomplished.

Dayze 12-28-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9245615)
What you're missing is that wars are a political act as well. Sometimes how to "win" is easy and obvious, and that's when what you're saying makes perfect sense. Sometimes how to win is not at all easy or obvious.

You're also making a mistake if you think for a second that all generals agree on how to win a war. The amount of "politics" INTERNAL to the military in a major war is just as significant as the politics external to the military.

Just sayin'

I agree. i think we are too eager to jump into 'Wars' and/or 'Conflicts. If it is truly a war, then I think you need to do everything in your power to win - politics be damned. I realize that's a pretty simplistic view, but in terms of ratio - I think decisions in war are based more on politicts that military. I think probably 70/30.

Vietnam was a disaster; this 10 year 'conflict' with Iraq/Afghanistan is a disaster etc.

I think you hold off on pushing all your chips in until there is truly a need for war; then you go all-in. IMO.

Amnorix 12-28-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9245689)
I agree. i think we are too eager to jump into 'Wars' and/or 'Conflicts. If it is truly a war, then I think you need to do everything in your power to win - politics be damned. I realize that's a pretty simplistic view, but in terms of ratio - I think decisions in war are based more on politicts that military. I think probably 70/30.

Vietnam was a disaster; this 10 year 'conflict' with Iraq/Afghanistan is a disaster etc.

I think you hold off on pushing all your chips in until there is a war; then you go all-in. IMO.

No argument. The issue with wars nowadays is who is the enemy? As the "enemy" becomes less clear, so does the mission, which then becomes much more political and much less susceptible to military (or purely military) answers. In other words, messy as hell.

notorious 12-28-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9245689)

I think you hold off on pushing all your chips in until there is truly a need for war; then you go all-in. IMO.

I agree 100%.

You have to be pushed to do things that damn you to hell.

It takes a certain kind of person to do what it takes. If you ever watch a documentary on Japan and Curtis Lemay it will haunt you, but they did what had to be done.