ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Creating new Chiefs Training Camp Guide ... StJoeCampGuide.com - need content advice! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274823)

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:00 PM

Creating new Chiefs Training Camp Guide ... StJoeCampGuide.com - need content advice!

So I have heard from a few people that the "guide" they give out at Training Camp sucks. Has crap in it like "McDonalds" as a restaurant in town and other questionable info.

So, it got me thinking (dangerous, I know) ... why don't use the collective power of ChiefsPlanet to put together a REAL training camp guide?

I'm willing to grab a URL and put a site up on the server for this and do any programming it needs. I know this is obviously a little late in the game but hell if nothing else it would be good to have ready for next year.

I'm not talking about news and commentary, we have Chiefsplanet for that... I'm talking about a site that has all the info you could want if you were planning on going to St joe to watch camp. We could even program a simple section that spits out PDFs people could print out with the info they want to take with them.

So who thinks this is a good idea? Any suggestions?

The URL chiefstrainingcamp.com is taken but KCChiefsTrainingCamp.com is available.. too long?

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:11 PM

Bueller? Bueller?

Nobody has an opinion on this or has everyone simply logged off to start friday drinking early?

sedated 07-26-2013 03:13 PM

you can smoke in bars there

:shrug:

digger 07-26-2013 03:14 PM

KCChiefsCamp.com ?

digger 07-26-2013 03:15 PM

<--got lost in St. Joe a few weeks back on the west side....

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9836286)

um, yes I believe you still can... but that isn;t the kind of info I am talking about. I am talking about a full fledged guide.

How to get around, where to stay, restaurants, bars, local attractions that don't suck... etc...

Demonpenz 07-26-2013 03:17 PM

Downtown is pretty cool. Live music at First Ward (New owners seem cool) 54th street is a chain but always delicious. There won't be many chicks because it's st joe.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger (Post 9836288)
KCChiefsCamp.com ?

Already taken :(

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9836295)
Downtown is pretty cool. Live music at First Ward (New owners seem cool) 54th street is a chain but always delicious. There won't be many chicks because it's st joe.

Good info but what do you think of the idea of having a decent training camp guide site? Am I creating a solution to a problem that exists mostly in my mind or no?

Halfcan 07-26-2013 03:20 PM

St Joe has a lot to offer. First place I would stop would be the Tourism center. They give you maps with Every site to see plus coupons.

1. Patty House is a must- Jesse James house in the back is pretty cool to see.
2. Have your lunch at the Remington Nature center- nice musuem and picnic tables right on the river. Great view.
3. Fireman musuem- Free but you have to call for a tour.
4. Poney Express musuem- great history- close to Patty house too.
5. Glore musuem- crazy stuff to see- part of a group of musuems in the old hospitol.
6. Pyro Joes- best place to get fireworks!!

digger 07-26-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9836297)

It would be. KCChiefsCampguide.com ;)

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9836297)

The only short URLs I have found are KCChiefsTC.com or ChiefsTC.com

Demonpenz 07-26-2013 03:21 PM

I haven't seen the regular training camp guide. So I can't comment.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger (Post 9836306)
It would be. KCChiefsCampguide.com ;)

not bad... or chiefscampguide.com

digger 07-26-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9836312)
not bad... or chiefscampguide.com

:thumb:

digger 07-26-2013 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of maps........

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger (Post 9836330)
Lots of maps........

Maps is something I am good at!

http://www.eventzombie.com/mobile/map.php?dis=stjoe

Boom! every bar in St Joe!

KCUnited 07-26-2013 03:46 PM

Great idea. There isn't shit out there for St. Joe bars on Yelp/Urbanspoon type sites. I'm planning on throwing together a scene report from The Missourian a week from today, I'm not even sure if they serve food. A guide put together by townies would improve the experience, imo.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9836374)
Great idea. There isn't shit out there for St. Joe bars on Yelp/Urbanspoon type sites. I'm planning on throwing together a scene report from The Missourian a week from today, I'm not even sure if they serve food. A guide put together by townies would improve the experience, imo.

Ha, The Missourian... haven't been in years but I remember it being a little rough around the edges but some really really good pool players there. One guy there was good enough that you were lucky if he missed twice per game.

I'd love to get more of your perspective as someone planning to go to St Joe and looking for info. What exactly would be most useful for you? If we can put together a definitive list of what the site should contain we can start to layout how to present the info.

Obviously since I already have code in place to map all the bars and link to their facebook info/posts/pages we have a starting point at least.

KCUnited 07-26-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9836389)
Ha, The Missourian... haven't been in years but I remember it being a little rough around the edges but some really really good pool players there. One guy there was good enough that you were lucky if he missed twice per game.

I'd love to get more of your perspective as someone planning to go to St Joe and looking for info. What exactly would be most useful for you? If we can put together a definitive list of what the site should contain we can start to layout how to present the info.

Obviously since I already have code in place to map all the bars and link to their facebook info/posts/pages we have a starting point at least.

Well, since all the practices are at 8:00 am, I figured I'd catch a practice then make a day of it in St. Joe injecting some $$$ into their economy. I live pretty healthy, so when I do something like this I'm looking for a dive type place with beer/drink specials, unhealthy bar food (hopefully something unique to that area, ie BBQ in KC) and blow off some steam anonymously while enjoying not being at work. Parlay the excitement of football season being around the corner if you will. Nothing chain-like, local stuff.

I like to know the vibe or a place, if they serve food, hours, pool tables/games, music, method of payments accepted, maybe read a review or two, hopefully see a picture of the place, that kind of thing.

jspchief 07-26-2013 04:07 PM

Great idea. You just need the right people online to give you what you need.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9836407)
Well, since all the practices are at 8:00 am, I figured I'd catch a practice then make a day of it in St. Joe injecting some $$$ into their economy. I live pretty healthy, so when I do something like this I'm looking for a dive type place with beer/drink specials, unhealthy bar food (hopefully something unique to that area, ie BBQ in KC) and blow off some steam anonymously while enjoying not being at work. Parlay the excitement of football season being around the corner if you will. Nothing chain-like, local stuff.

I like to know the vibe or a place, if they serve food, hours, pool tables/games, music, method of payments accepted, maybe read a review or two, hopefully see a picture of the place, that kind of thing.

The local aspect is key for me as well. I know that some people will want to know all the options including chains but frankly, screw em, I would rather just put high character local places on the site.

Right now, all the info I pull I get directly from Facebook but it sounds like it'd be a good idea to add a custom description field to the DB and populate it with any info we can get from locals (I can add some but most of my info is probably outdated)

The great thing about a fun little project like this is that St Joe is small enough to make this fairly easy. Plus you really don't want some massive site, rather, it needs to be straight to the point useful info.

So, what other info would be good to have?

Anyone who has a second, check out the following sites and see what they have that we should "borrow."

http://www.stjomo.com/kcchiefs/
http://www.missouriwestern.edu/kcchiefs/
http://www.kcchiefs.com/schedule-and...ning-camp.html

AustinChief 07-26-2013 04:18 PM

ok it sounds more and more like this is worth exploring further. One thing I am shite at is design so unless a web artist type wants to step up, I'll probably just use a template. But before I can start looking for one I am going to need to have some clue as to the layout of the site...

To do THAT we need to group stuff together into the important categories of info... and decide how to present it.

I'm off to work on that now but feel free to post suggestions if anything comes to mind!

SuperChief 07-26-2013 04:33 PM

I'm all in to help, but I have limited information on the area or the current guide to give perspective. My background is in digital marketing and SEO, so if you need assistance there, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Side note: what about KCTC.com?

AustinChief 07-26-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 9836475)
I'm all in to help, but I have limited information on the area or the current guide to give perspective. My background is in digital marketing and SEO, so if you need assistance there, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Side note: what about KCTC.com?

Sweet!, yeah we'll want to make sure we get the site optimized so it comes up on searches.

... and KCTC.com is taken. :(

SuperChief 07-26-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9836482)
Sweet!, yeah we'll want to make sure we get the site optimized so it comes up on searches.

... and KCTC.com is taken. :(

Should have done my research before I even pitched it :)

Anyway, just give me the details (obviously it'll be on the back end of development) when necessary. I can work with you to optimize the SHIT outta the beast.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 04:50 PM

HUZZAH! I found the actual printed guide that they are giving out!

http://www.newspressnow.com/frame/?h...d-5fdd6c5916af

Holy crapfest batman! That is an embarrassment. There's some decent Chiefs info there but absolutely nothing that helps someone find anything ELSE in St Joe. Ok, yeah we definitely need to do SOMETHING.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 04:58 PM

We need someone to do some recon on the "St Joe" tent at camp. See if they are just as useless.

It appears the only people doing a decent job of things is the Facebook page..
https://www.facebook.com/KCChiefsinStJo

SAUTO 07-26-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9836431)
ok it sounds more and more like this is worth exploring further. One thing I am shite at is design so unless a web artist type wants to step up, I'll probably just use a template. But before I can start looking for one I am going to need to have some clue as to the layout of the site...

To do THAT we need to group stuff together into the important categories of info... and decide how to present it.

I'm off to work on that now but feel free to post suggestions if anything comes to mind!

Reported for filter evasion
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 07-26-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9836534)
Posted via Mobile Device

Made me work to find it! Had to read my post 3 times before I found what you were referring to. And no it's not an evasion, I meant when it comes to design I am a follower of Shia Islam! :D

ChiefsCountry 07-26-2013 05:13 PM

Is kctcstjoe.com available? I would stay away from using Chiefs in a business type matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater 07-26-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9836286)

This alone makes the trip worthwhile.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-26-2013 06:40 PM

It's a great idea . Let me throw this out there. Why not just put it on this website as a different forum with a PDF attachment so WE are rulers of the world !!???

Edit: And you could get KCChiefs.com to provide a link to this here.

It would benefit the Chiefs as well as traffic to this website.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9836547)
Is kctcstjoe.com available? I would stay away from using Chiefs in a business type matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have any plans to monetize it, all just for funs so it shouldn't matter.

AustinChief 07-26-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9836713)
It's a great idea . Let me throw this out there. Why not just put it on this website as a different forum with a PDF attachment so WE are rulers of the world !!???

Edit: And you could get KCChiefs.com to provide a link to this here.

It would benefit the Chiefs as well as traffic to this website.

For SEO purposes and also to keep it simple and clean I think it'd be better to have its own site and just have links back and forth from the two.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 07-26-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9836534)
Posted via Mobile Device

No filter evasion.

Came up as four stars and an e on my computer.

Austin Chief is in the clear on this one. o:-)

Phobia 07-26-2013 10:32 PM

Started drinking early. Sorry.

bevischief 07-27-2013 02:31 AM

wtf?

Nzoner 07-27-2013 08:10 AM

I started drinking early,1:30 to be exact at Uncle D's and stayed through the Royals game.The place was packed and even had a couple of ex-Chiefs in Bill Maas and Shaun Barber show up.

As for the idea,I think it's great anything I can do let me know.

JimBaker48.8 07-27-2013 09:25 AM

Don't nobody knock Joe-Town, won't tolerate it since it's my hometown. And I'm proud to say that me and Esther George are both Missouri Western grads, aka the Harvard of NorthWest Missouri.

Demonpenz 07-27-2013 10:33 AM

LMAO

Deberg_1990 07-27-2013 10:38 AM

Let Demonpenz and NZoner be your personal St Joe concierge.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 07-27-2013 05:27 PM

Alright! let's do this thang!

As I see it, here is the vital info the site needs to put out there ...

Chiefs Training Camp info
  • map of camp
  • schedule
  • rosters

St Joe Info
  • map of bars and restaurants where you can click each one and show info like -description -link to FaceBook page -link to website -phone number -drink specials
  • local sites/attractions (this is a bit harder since I can't just pull the data from FB)
  • hotels/B&Bs

Ok what else would the site need to be useful?

Also, if you have any ideas on how to present or group the data let me know!

EDIT: And if we get really ambitious we may even add a printables section where the info is formatted to fit onto "cheat sheets" to have available.. although this may be silly since I plan on making the site mobile optimized as well and everyone has a smartphone

Nzoner 07-27-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9838804)
Alright! let's do this thang!

As I see it, here is the vital info the site needs to put out there ...

Chiefs Training Camp info
  • map of camp
  • schedule
  • rosters

St Joe Info
  • map of bars and restaurants where you can click each one and show info like -description -link to FaceBook page -link to website -phone number -drink specials
  • local sites/attractions (this is a bit harder since I can't just pull the data from FB)
  • hotels/B&Bs

Ok what else would the site need to be useful?

Also, if you have any ideas on how to present or group the data let me know!

EDIT: And if we get really ambitious we may even add a printables section where the info is formatted to fit onto "cheat sheets" to have available.. although this may be silly since I plan on making the site mobile optimized as well and everyone has a smartphone

You can add my company website www.stjoeads.com a few more restaurant coupons and the like there.