ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Overtime suggestion. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196882)

Direckshun 11-17-2008 10:10 AM

Overtime suggestion.

Unlimited overtime.

Sudden death.

But the victory goes to the team that can first score five points.

That ensures that a simple field goal cannot win the game, and both teams will earn a possession unless the first defense on the field can't prevent a touchdown.

Thoughts?

007 11-17-2008 10:12 AM

It's better than the crap in place now.

Sully 11-17-2008 10:15 AM

WHoever proposed this last week, I agreed with it then. It's a GREAT idea, and I can't believe I've never heard it before now.

StcChief 11-17-2008 10:47 AM

much better than existing OT sudden death. Screw the networks and their starting times.
not worried about Heidi either.

4th and Long 11-17-2008 10:52 AM

It's obvious to me that Direckshun works for King Carl. This is just an evil ploy to keep you at the stadium longer. You'll be stuck buying more overpriced food and drink, thus making Peterson's pockets even deeper. :D

Demonpenz 11-17-2008 11:01 AM

I think they should have some sort of sudden death, the first team who scores. This would lead to teams try to win the game in regulation

Bearcat 11-17-2008 11:04 AM

It definitely gives the advantage to the more aggressive team, so I like that. I'd like the coin flip to go away, and just give the home team a choice, especially in the playoffs.

I think simply guaranteeing one possession per team would work as well. Not like college... kickoff, and the first team has to score or punt, and then it's sudden death after that. I like your version a little better though, because there's a better chance it doesn't turn into a FG kicking contest.. it's just a little weird saying 'first one to x points wins'.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2008 11:04 AM

Did the NFL get rid of the double overtime? I noticed the Philly/Cinci game only had one overtime.

Back in 89 (The last Chiefs tie game) i believe they played two overtime periods? I could be wrong....

Lonewolf Ed 11-17-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5226873)
Did the NFL get rid of the double overtime? I noticed the Philly/Cinci game only had one overtime.

Back in 89 (The last Chiefs tie game) i believe they played two overtime periods? I could be wrong....

If memory serves, Nick Lowery had to kick twice due to a penalty, and he missed. In the playoffs, there can't be a tie, so it can go as long as it takes for someone to score.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2008 11:18 AM

Yup. I wrote about this last week and am glad everyone's on board. It makes way too much sense. I'm not sure how I feel about unlimited overtime, though. I think there's a point where you have to just call it a tie.

I'm tired of teams laying up in overtime to play for a field goal. And I'm tired of teams winning on the first possession.

The reason, by the way, that you play to 5 and not to 6 is that you want to prevent teams pinned back on the 1 yard line from purposely taking a safety on 4th down instead of punting the ball away to give the other team very good field position.

bkkcoh 11-17-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5226873)

Was anyone else surprised that some of the Eagle's didn't know that the football game in regular season could actually end in a tie?

They also made comments that would imply that they thought that could happen in a playoff game also.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcoh (Post 5226928)
Was anyone else surprised that some of the Eagle's didn't know that the football game in regular season could actually end in a tie?

They also made comments that would imply that they thought that could happen in a playoff game also.

Yea, i read McNabb said that. WTF??

Reerun_KC 11-17-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5226937)
Yea, i read McNabb said that. WTF??

Sadly, I can imagine, It is 2008 and hell college has a killer overtime compared to the 1950's version of the NFL...

Would be nice if the NFL stepped up to the plate and actaully had a vision...

PastorMikH 11-17-2008 12:05 PM

I like the way HS and College OTs are. Give each team the ball on the 20 and see what they can do. If, at the end of the first OT, they are still tied, switch posessions line them up and send them at it again.

Don't really see any major reasons why it wouldn't work in the Pros.

StcChief 11-17-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcoh (Post 5226928)

but can he read.... rulebook/schmulebook....