ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Worrisome things: Offensive Line (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283606)

OldSchool 05-10-2014 09:40 PM

Worrisome things: Offensive Line

While we were already one of the youngest offensive lines last year, we got even younger this year:

First our Starters:

Eric Fisher (23)
Jeff Allen (24)
Rod Hudson (24)
Rishaw Johnson (25)
Donald Stephenson (25)

Backups (not all of these guys will make the roster obviously, but these are the main ones including the new picks):

Rokevious Watkins (25)
Jeff Linkenbach (26)
Eric Kush (24)
Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff (23)
Zach FUlton (22)

Holy Shit! I don't think I've ever heard of any team in the league running with an offensive line that is this young and this inexperienced. With the defensive front 7s that we have to face next year (Rams, Seahawks, Niners, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, Steelers, Patriots), how do they expect this offensive line to hold up well against that? I really hope that they are going to sign a veteran or two to help these younger guys develop and also serve as quality depth or even starters at OG or something.

Here is a taste of the pass rushers/DLs we will face next year:

SF:
Aldon Smith - Justin Smith - Ray McDonald - Ahmad Brooks

St. Louis:
Robert Quinn - Michael Brockers - Aaron Donald - Chris Long

Arizona:
Sam Acho - Calais Campbell - Darnell Dockett - Daryl Washington (MLB blitzes) - John Abraham

Buffalo:
Mario Williams - Marcell Dareus - Kyle Williams - Jerry Hughes

Here are two guys that are still out there who can help.

1. Uche Nwaneri, 30 - He's a solid NFL guard who still plays at a sufficiently high level. He shouldn't cost too much at this point and would go a long way towards improving this OL.

2. Daryn Colledge, 32 - At this point of his career, he's good as a back-up with starter ability and the ability to play either guard position. He offers position versatility and a good amount of NFL experience.

I just think that Dorsey and Reid are playing with fire if their goal is to have our OL learn and develop through trial and error without a single solid veteran presence to help guide the younger guys a long the way.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that we'll be fine against the schedule that we have?

Exoter175 05-10-2014 09:42 PM

I expect our line to replace Johnson with Linkenbach for starters. I truly don't know if Rishaw has a place here.

jd1020 05-10-2014 09:43 PM

Not too much to worry about imo. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy Alex running around in circles.

OldSchool 05-10-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622210)
Not too much to worry about imo. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy Alex running around in circles.

I think that Alex Smith led the league last year in avoiding unblocked pressure.

htismaqe 05-10-2014 09:45 PM

I'd like to see them bring in Nwaneri.

I'm a big believer in continuity on the line and that's what you don't get when you play a bunch of young guys.

Hopefully they can stay healthy and build some rapport.

The first half of the season could be REALLY rough though, especially with some of the defenses we're gonna see.

mcaj22 05-10-2014 09:48 PM

Yea I am a big believer in a veteran presence on the line as well. Best Chiefs lines had veteran(s) glue guy(s) that brought the young guys along. When Jeff Allen becomes your most tenured starter on the line, there is a huge potential for disaster.

RealSNR 05-10-2014 09:52 PM

You should have bought a squirrel

OldSchool 05-10-2014 09:53 PM

While it's good that they all have 1 year in this system now, I don't like the fact that not a single one of them has been in this league for over 3 years as a starter.

milkman 05-10-2014 09:55 PM

We don't need no veterans.

On a side note, we might need more QBs.

htismaqe 05-10-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622227)
We don't need no veterans.

On a side note, we might need more QBs.

:D

RealSNR 05-10-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10622225)
While it's good that they all have 1 year in this system now, I don't like the fact that not a single one of them has been in this league for over 3 years as a starter.

And this is what I've been saying all offseason.

That's something even Xavier Suck'a Felatio wouldn't have been able to fix.

TribalElder 05-10-2014 10:01 PM

The dr is in, he will rape faces, from canadia!

The Franchise 05-10-2014 10:03 PM

Nwaneri would be a damn good signing.

htismaqe 05-10-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10622243)
And this is what I've been saying all offseason.

That's something even Xavier Suck'a Felatio wouldn't have been able to fix.

Yep.

Gotta build continuity.

mcaj22 05-10-2014 10:04 PM

the doctor practically has to make the team because we have no other ****ing swing tackle on the roster lol