ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Junior Seau dead, probable suicide (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259152)

Brock 05-02-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8588508)
Oh, well, if it's gonna' be THAT kind of party I don't want to stay anyway.

What type of things would you look for in the backgrounds of jurors in a case like that?
NFL fan status? Political bent?

Everything. There wouldn't be any NFL fans on that jury for sure.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8588491)
If I wanted to remain in that jury pool I assure you I could do so.

Go ahead and lie under voir dire; we'll make sure that whatever verdict you're a part of gets tossed out and by God we'll try again.

Chiefnj2 05-02-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588509)
And it would still likely be considered a contract of adhesion; afterall it's hardly an arms-length transaction. It's a document written by trained attorneys and presented to a guy that either gets to play football for millions or flip burgers for a living.

Adhesion contract when they are represented by licensed agents?

Jenson71 05-02-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8588508)
Oh, well, if it's gonna' be THAT kind of party I don't want to stay anyway.

What type of things would you look for in the backgrounds of jurors in a case like that?
NFL fan status? Political bent?

Plaintiffs want mothers.

vailpass 05-02-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588509)
And it would still likely be considered a contract of adhesion; afterall it's hardly an arms-length transaction. It's a document written by trained attorneys and presented to a guy that either gets to play football for millions or flip burgers for a living.

Once again, I know the argument will be 'well they just didn't have to play', but I can tell you that a jury's not going to buy that when they have actual corpses in front of them.

Besides, the beautiful thing about waivers is that there are very few of them that I can argue are both 1) specific enough to be clear as to what they're addressing and 2) broad enough to cover all contingencies.

Put me in a room with any document you draw up, give me enough time, money and manpower and sooner or later I'll figure out a way to attack one of those 2 problems.

It's nowhere near as straightforward as vailpass or Donger are trying to make it. If it were, the NFL would've dealt with stuff like this, injury settlements or even Free Agency a long long time ago. The NFL can't just say 'here it is, take it or leave it', or we wouldn't have FA or exorbitant salaries now would we?

I'm sure you are the toast of the bar there in Columbia, MO however I don't discount the possibility that the NFL may be able to locate and afford competent counsel of it's own.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8588519)

And I can't imagine a judge in the country that would have a problem with you striking a juror for cause when he claims to be a fan of the billion dollar defendant...

You can strike as many for jurors for cause as they have eligible jurors. And if you run out, we'll just bring in more.

Either risk having the entire trial overturned for lying during voir dire, or every person in this thread will end up getting tossed off the jury.

Donger 05-02-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588477)
Just like the woman that put a cup of coffee between her legs and suffered 2nd degree burns for it.

Sure, she put hot coffee where she shouldn't have, but McDonalds knew that the coffee was hot enough to cause burns leading to skin-grafs and did nothing about it.

A so called 'acceptance' of the risks here isn't going to get the NFL off the hook - it never gets the deepest pockets off the hook.

Juries do what they do. They'll see the faceless conglomerate of super-wealthy individuals that had concussion studies done and ignored and they'll compare those to the individual plaintiffs, be they players or the families of players that died.

Don't coach - bet. What you think the jury should do is irrelevant. What you claim you would do where you a 1-man jury is equally irrelevant (afterall, both you and veilpass would get your asses bounced from the pool). History tells us what the jury will do.

Ignore it at your own peril.

Oh sure, juries will be juries. I was specifically referring to the apparent victimization that some here are affording the players. I would think that even the dimmest player in the NFL would strap on that helmet for the first time and think, "Hmmm, helmet eh? Is this dangerous and violent?"

DJ's left nut 05-02-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8588529)
Adhesion contract when they are represented by licensed agents?

Pretty much, yes.

They can ultimately have someone else review it, but their choices remain the same as presented by vailpass - sign it or don't play.

Go ahead and throw that in front of your average juror and see how it plays.

vailpass 05-02-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8588519)

Would this be a federal case?

vailpass 05-02-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588544)
Pretty much, yes.

They can ultimately have someone else review it, but their choices remain the same as presented by vailpass - sign it or don't play.

Go ahead and throw that in front of your average juror and see how it plays.

It would play just fine with me and everyone I know and seems to me it would play out as fair with a majority of Americans.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8588534)
I'm sure you are the toast of the bar there in Columbia, MO however I don't discount the possibility that the NFL may be able to locate and afford competent counsel of it's own.

Indeed they will - it's why they'll end up in, at best, the same coin-flip scenario I've already mentioned.

You're simply out of your depth here if you truly believe there's some piece of paper the NFL can just hand every player and HUZZAH - no liability.

It's not going to work that way.

DJ's left nut 05-02-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8588554)
It would play just fine with me and everyone I know and seems to me it would play out as fair with a majority of Americans.

When they're talking, sure.

Not when they're on a jury. It never does.

Titty Meat 05-02-2012 01:44 PM

To play Devil's Advocate here DJ aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? How do we know this depression was caused by concussions in Seau's case and that he hasn't had depression in his life or maybe went through some things recently?

vailpass 05-02-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588555)
Indeed they will - it's why they'll end up in, at best, the same coin-flip scenario I've already mentioned.

You're simply out of your depth here if you truly believe there's some piece of paper the NFL can just hand every player and HUZZAH - no liability.

It's not going to work that way.

What I believe is that the court will recognize the compelling interest of the business and the communities that draw great benefit from said business to approve an agreement that makes it feasible for the NFL to continue to deliver a product sufficiently in keeping with that to which the consumer has become accustomed.

vailpass 05-02-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8588557)
When they're talking, sure.

Not when they're on a jury. It never does.

Maybe in Columbia, MO.