ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Wichita State Shockers a virtual lock for the title game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271446)

pr_capone 03-25-2013 11:05 AM

Wichita State Shockers a virtual lock for the title game

... and it is inevitable really now that they have been blessed by a visit from Tim Tebow.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...omptu-pep-talk

Quote:

WICHITA, Kan. -- Wichita State University's men's basketball team got an unexpected new fan when they arrived home after their latest NCAA tournament victory.

A plane carrying New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow was refueling in Wichita when the Shockers' bus arrived Sunday after their upset win over top-seeded Gonzaga.

Tebow's representative asked coach Gregg Marshall if the Heisman Trophy winner could talk to the team.

Wearing a pink sweater over a tie and untucked shirt, Tebow got on the team bus, grabbed a microphone and told the players their surprising run to the Sweet 16 is something they will remember for the rest of their lives, regardless of what they do in the future. He also congratulated them and said they were an inspiration to many people.

"Some of you might go play in the NBA or you might have great lives. But this is the time you will remember," Tebow said. "All of you all together, ballin' out there together, training together, putting in the heart and sweat, everything, caring about each other. You'll never forget it, guys, this is what it's made of and these are the special times in your life, regardless of what you do in the future.

"So I just want to say congrats. You're an inspiration to so many people, so always remember that and how you carry yourself and your character, how you represent your school, your family, your team, your brothers on the team, but also, man, just go out there and ball out, leave nothing on the court. I know you don't need to hear that from me, but I just wish y'all luck and we're praying for you. God bless, and y'all go do it, all right, guys?"

The team then headed to Koch Arena, where thousands of fans had gathered to greet the team.

The Shockers play La Salle on Thursday night in Los Angeles.

Fairplay 03-25-2013 11:07 AM

Done deal.

Lzen 03-25-2013 11:09 AM

I know some will inevitably rip on him for trying to be like somebody important, but I don't think that is the case. Props to Tebow for doing that. I think he's a good guy.

gblowfish 03-25-2013 11:09 AM

Maybe KU will be forced to play Wichita State now....

burt 03-25-2013 11:10 AM

printem....

Lzen 03-25-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9528363)

I'd be okay with that since it would mean KU made it to the National Championship game. :)

007 03-25-2013 11:19 AM

and if WSU won they would be the lowest seed since KU to win the whole thing.

ndws 03-25-2013 11:27 AM

WSU actually has a decent shot at being the last Kansas team standing. lol

Consistent1 03-25-2013 11:29 AM

College basketball is so tough to predict these days. I really don't follow it very closely, but there are a ton of good players out there.

DJ's left nut 03-25-2013 11:30 AM

I read the thread title and figured that CoMo must've picked against them.

Same thing, really.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-25-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Are they scurred to play them too?

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9528350)

A plane carrying New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow was refueling in Wichita when the Shockers' bus arrived Sunday after their upset win over top-seeded Gonzaga.

Tebow's representative asked coach Gregg Marshall if the Heisman Trophy winner could talk to the team.

WTF? Is that, like, normal? I have no connection whatsoever with your team, but I'd just really like to talk to them.

I wish the coach would have responded, "Nah, we're good. Thanks though--"

blaise 03-25-2013 11:40 AM

Yeah, how outrageous. He asked to say congrats to a team that probably was excited to hear him say it.

Cannibal 03-25-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528433)
Yeah, how outrageous. He asked to say congrats to a team that probably was excited to hear him say it.

It's not outrageous, but mildly annoying. Dude's gotta get his nose into everything to get the cameras on him. He's an attention whore.

Maybe he should concentrate on his own football career and try learn how the throw the football in the NFL?

blaise 03-25-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9528443)
It's not outrageous, but mildly annoying. Dude's gotta get his nose into everything to get the cameras on him. He's an attention whore.

Maybe he should concentrate on his own football career and try learn how the throw the football in the NFL?

I don't know if they had a practice field for him to use at the airport, but I guess I can see your point.

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528433)

Not outrageous, just kind of weird. He has no connection to the program or school, but he just thought they would love to hear from him.

"So I just want to say congrats. You're an inspiration to so many people, so always remember that and how you carry yourself and your character, how you represent your school, your family, your team, your brothers on the team, but also, man, just go out there and ball out, leave nothing on the court. I know you don't need to hear that from me, but I just wish y'all luck and we're praying for you. God bless, and y'all go do it, all right, guys?"

Thanks for the lecture, guy I've never heard of. Who are you again? Oh, a 3rd-string NFL QB? This is quite an honor.
/Wichita State BB players

tooge 03-25-2013 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tebow probably gave em each on of these.

blaise 03-25-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528456)
Not outrageous, just kind of weird. He has no connection to the program or school, but he just thought they would love to hear from him.

Thanks for the lecture, guy I've never heard of. Who are you again? Oh, a 3rd-string NFL QB? This is quite an honor.
/Wichita State BB players

They've never heard of Tim Tebow? I doubt that. It's not really even that weird. He's a former college athlete that won a Heisman and a national championship, and he wanted to say congrats. The Wichita State players probably thought it was cool.
The only thing that's really weird about it is you getting so upset that you'd wish you could become the Wichita coach just so you could tell him no. That's weird.

ptlyon 03-25-2013 11:56 AM

"Excuse me while I whip this out"

OmahaChief 03-25-2013 11:57 AM

All they need now is a little Ray Lewis pray and dance and they will be destined to win it all.

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528469)
They've never heard of Tim Tebow? I doubt that. It's not really even that weird. He's a former college athlete that won a Heisman and a national championship, and he wanted to say congrats. The Wichita State players probably thought it was cool.
The only thing that's really weird about it is you getting so upset that you'd wish you could become the Wichita coach just so you could tell him no. That's weird.

Pure attention whoring. Both of you.

FishingRod 03-25-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

I had heard the old KU won’t play WSU ever again thing a few times so I looked around to see what I could find. I make no claim as to the validity of this as it is just a post on another site but this is what was said.

" As I remember it there were really four issues:

1) When KU and WSU negotiated the deal KU was given a large number of tickets to the game that the they could sell. They of course sold the crap out of them to Wichita fans who normally don't get to see a KU game. Then when it came time to deliver WSU said they only had like 1/4 the tickets they'd promised available. KU had to call up a couple thousand fans last minute and tell them they did not actually have tickets they'd already purchased.

2) When KU showed up for the game they were told the visitors locker room was unavailable due to renovations. They had to change in an alcove off the hallway or something. This of course meant that after the game they did not get showers and had to ride back to Lawrence unshowered.

3) During the game the crowd got really out of control (mostly students I'm assuming). They were throwing things onto the floor and pelting the players on the bench with coins. KU called a timeout just to try and get the refs to do something about the crowd (which apparently didn't happen). I believe one of the KU bench players actually had blood drawn by something that hit him in the head.

4) Late in the game with KU up 30 there were several incidents with WSU players and hard fouls, etc that Roy didn't feel like were being addresses by the refs.

Now #4 may well have just been Roy being the crybaby that Roy was (although that was mostly later) but the others really did sound out of control. #3 was the thing that made the news but I'm sure #1 was the real issue as far as the administration was concerned. #2 was just an a-hole move all around."

Now Bill Self says there is nothing in it for KU to play them. They schedule non con games as often as they can at the Field house because that is where me make money. Sounds like a logical answer.

blaise 03-25-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528484)
Pure attention whoring. Both of you.

Well, good luck with your dreams of becoming a coach just so you can deny Tim Tebow entry to a bus!

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 12:10 PM

Wichita State Coach: Hey team, I've got a real special surprise for you! Someone asked if they could preach to you say congratulations, so here he is--

Team: [hushed in silent anticipation of the special surprise]

Coach: Tim Tebow!

Team: ugh

Tebow: "You're an inspiration to so many people, so always remember that and how you carry yourself and your character, how you represent your school, your family, your team, your brothers on the team, but also, man, just go out there and ball out, leave nothing on the court. I know you don't need to hear that from me, but I just wish y'all luck and we're praying for you. God bless, and y'all go do it, all right, guys?"

Team: Gee, thanks Mr. Tebow! We always love hearing from people we don't care about telling us how to carry ourselves. We were going to go home and beat our girlfriends, but you've changed our minds.

Graystoke 03-25-2013 12:11 PM

Tebow said. "All of you all together, ballin' out there together

Sounds Homo.

blaise 03-25-2013 12:11 PM

I take it back, the weirdest thing isn't your dream, but rather your insistence that these kids wouldn't know who Tim Tebow is.

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528501)
Well, good luck with your dreams of becoming a coach just so you can deny Tim Tebow entry to a bus!

What is this dream you keep referencing?

blaise 03-25-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528527)
What is this dream you keep referencing?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought your initial wording in post 12 said you wished you were the coach so you could tell him no.

Either way, the fact that this bothers you is weirder than anything Tebow did. And you acting like these kids wouldn't recognize Tebow is bizarre.

"Hey guys, Tim Tebow wants to say congrats. What do you think?"

"Oh, cool! Wait, coach, some internet toad might think it's weird. Maybe we shouldn't."

Just sounds like you're kind of a crybaby about Tebow for whatever reason.

KChiefer 03-25-2013 12:22 PM

Tebow's connection is that he's pen-pals with Dennis "BTK" Rader.

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528539)
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought your initial wording in post 12 said you wished you were the coach so you could tell him no.

Either way, the fact that this bothers you is weirder than anything Tebow did. And you acting like these kids wouldn't recognize Tebow is bizarre.

"Hey guys, Tim Tebow wants to say congrats. What do you think?"

"Oh, cool! Wait, coach, some internet toad might think it's weird. Maybe we shouldn't."

Just sounds like you're kind of a crybaby about Tebow for whatever reason.

My initial wording was the same as the current wording, in which I never said anything about wishing to be the coach.

I'm only bothered that innocent kids had to be subjected to the preaching and media whoring of the NFL's Kim Kardashian.

blaise 03-25-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528554)
My initial wording was the same as the current wording, in which I never said anything about wishing to be the coach.

I'm only bothered that innocent kids had to be subjected to the preaching and media whoring of the NFL's Kim Kardashian.

Yeah, you seem pretty upset by Tebow. Kind of sound like a petty little turd.

KChiefer 03-25-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528557)
Yeah, you seem pretty upset by Tebow. Kind of sound like a petty little turd.

You seem pretty upset by Cosmo. Kind of sound like a petty little turd.

blaise 03-25-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9528562)
You seem pretty upset by Cosmo. Kind of sound like a petty little turd.

Well, as long as you agree that cosmo's a turd we're all set then.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-25-2013 12:53 PM

Zach Bush, a walkon on WSU team tweeted this lol

Zach Bush ‏@JustMe_Z_235 22h

So Tim Tebow just came on our bus at the airport and talked to us for a couple mins.. Nothin major tho

KChiefer 03-25-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9528603)

So Tim Tebow just came on our bus at the airport and talked to us for a couple mins.. Nothin major tho

Must not have asked if they were all circumcised.

BlackHelicopters 03-25-2013 01:34 PM

This is news? The WSU rep thread s bigger news.

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9528603)

Nothin major tho? Zach Bush does not realize the honor that he just had.

/blaise

Deberg_1990 03-25-2013 01:48 PM

Why does Tebow feel so self important that he feels the need to insert himself into something like this?

Do other star athletes do this?

It would have been funny if coach Greg Marshall denied his request to speak to them.

mikey23545 03-25-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9528693)
Why does Tebow feel so self important that he feels the need to insert himself into something like this?

It would have been funny if coach Greg Marshall denied his request to speak to them.

Since the coach didn't hesitate to let Tebow speak to his team, I guess it makes you, Blowmo, and Mancannibal look like the strange ones...

T-post Tom 03-25-2013 01:56 PM

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pu...nk%20shirt.jpg

"All of you all together, ballin' out there together....putting in the heart and sweat, everything, caring about each other."

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/384550/thu...S-large570.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/197/4...5e377e.jpg?v=0

NTTIAWWT

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9528693)

I would think the "star athlete" would be asked--Rather than Tebow asking to speak (actually, according to the article, he sent his representative to do the asking).

But with all of Tebow's connections to the Wichita State :rolleyes:, maybe he felt it was his duty to speak to the team.

blaise 03-25-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528683)
Nothin major tho? Zach Bush does not realize the honor that he just had.

/blaise

"I don't believe it. They don't know who Tim Tebow is."

/cosmo

blaise 03-25-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528721)
I would think the "star athlete" would be asked--Rather than Tebow asking to speak (actually, according to the article, he sent his representative to do the asking).

But with all of Tebow's connections to the Wichita State :rolleyes:, maybe he felt it was his duty to speak to the team.

Or he happened to notice he was in the same place at the same time and he, being a former college athlete, figured he could relate, and he didn't worry that some message board whiners would get butthurt about it.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

I know you don't need to hear that from me, but I just wish y'all luck and we're praying for you. God bless, and y'all go do it, all right, guys?"
He's a humble guy. I like Tebow now that he's not a Donko anymore. It's unreal to me how much shit he takes all while everyone complains about the shitty athletes out there doing all the wrong things.

KChiefer 03-25-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528721)

In his defense, they probably didn't even know Tebow was there, but I agree that it comes off as him wanting to "witness." If you're Tebow, why not just go over to the team yourself and if it turns into a speech, cool, if not, at least he got to give a quick hats off to them like any other person that doesn't think "I'm kind of a big deal..."

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528738)
Or he happened to notice he was in the same place at the same time and he, being a former college athlete, figured he could relate, and he didn't worry that some message board whiners would get butthurt about it.

No one's butthurt. Just think he is a douche.

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9528741)
He's a humble guy. I like Tebow now that he's not a Donko anymore. It's unreal to me how much shit he takes all while everyone complains about the shitty athletes out there doing all the wrong things.

Assuming that the Wichita State basketball team would want to hear from him and sending over your representative to ask if you could do them the honor is quite humble.

blaise 03-25-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528751)
No one's butthurt. Just think he is a douche.

Yeah, it does seem really douchey to say congrats to some college kids. I can see that.

ptlyon 03-25-2013 02:30 PM

I just think he remembers when he cried like a baby when he lost the national championship & wanted to give them an atta boy before their dreams are crushed as well

RNR 03-25-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9528350)
... and it is inevitable really now that they have been blessed by a visit from Tim Tebow.

LMAO

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528767)
Yeah, it does seem really douchey to say congrats to some college kids. I can see that.

It seems douchey to assume this team is interested in hearing from you and then sending your representative over to request and arrange it. And telling them to watch their character and how they carry themselves is kind of douchey as well. I hope he reminded them to eat their veggies and wash behind their ears.

blaise 03-25-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528791)
It seems douchey to assume this team is interested in hearing from you and then sending your representative over to request and arrange it. And telling them to watch their character and how they carry themselves is kind of douchey as well. I hope he reminded them to eat their veggies and wash behind their ears.

None of that really seems that douchey, but if complaining about fairly innocuous actions by Tim Tebow is your thing, have fun.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-25-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528755)
Assuming that the Wichita State basketball team would want to hear from him and sending over your representative to ask if you could do them the honor is quite humble.

I must have missed the part about him "doing them the honor". I didn't see that quote.

KChiefer 03-25-2013 02:54 PM

I wonder if he would have wanted to talk to them if they had lost to Gonzaga?

And, if I want a girl's number, I don't send my friend to ask for it...

cosmo20002 03-25-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9528830)
I must have missed the part about him "doing them the honor". I didn't see that quote.

And that's why it wasn't in quotes. You think it's too much to infer that Tebow thought the team would really like to hear from him?

Prison Bitch 03-25-2013 03:09 PM

I doubt anyone on that team booed Tebow when he came by. I doubt any of them were upset to hear from an NFL player and mini-celeb. And I bet the folks in Wichita associated with the program were hard-core atheists who hate Tebow's politics by nature, too. Yeah. I bet.

a pp roach 03-25-2013 03:10 PM

was gonna complain about him being arrogant, but it looks like someone else handled that.

i can see how it might have been friendly for him to do that but if he hadn't and the players saw him and made eye contact, it might have been a little rude to not wish them good luck at least. kind of a toss up.

T-post Tom 03-25-2013 03:57 PM

It won't be a "shocker":

Spoiler!

blaise 03-25-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528841)
And that's why it wasn't in quotes. You think it's too much to infer that Tebow thought the team would really like to hear from him?

They probably did enjoy it.

blaise 03-25-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9528836)
I wonder if he would have wanted to talk to them if they had lost to Gonzaga?

And, if I want a girl's number, I don't send my friend to ask for it...

Give me a break.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-25-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9528841)

I guess you can choose to look at it that way if you want. I just figured the guy was a sports fan and like everyone else on Earth, roots for the underdog. He was there, they were there, he wanted to give them some encouragement and a blessing. Big. Deal.

threebag 03-25-2013 04:27 PM

It's a good message no matter who delivers it.

KChiefer 03-25-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528937)
Give me a break.

That all you got?

I'll take that as +2 me.

blaise 03-25-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9528985)
That all you got?

I'll take that as +2 me.

You wanted a lengthy reply to your, "If it was me.." garbage relating to a situation you know very little about and weren't anywhere near? It's lame.

You don't know how the dynamics of it played out. You're just whining about Tebow on a message board. I don't see why you expect much discussion about that when it's obvious.

KChiefer 03-25-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9528990)
You wanted a lengthy reply to your, "If it was me.." garbage relating to a situation you know very little about and weren't anywhere near? It's lame.

You don't know how the dynamics of it played out. You're just whining about Tebow on a message board. I don't see why you expect much discussion about that when it's obvious.

You've had plenty to say in here until I brought up two valid points, then...nothing but the insightful "get real." Why even bother replying to me in that post. I wasn't even quoting you. Maybe you like whining while accusing others of whining.

blaise 03-25-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9529002)
You've had plenty to say in here until I brought up two valid points, then...nothing but the insightful "get real." Why even bother replying to me in that post. I wasn't even quoting you. Maybe you like whining while accusing others of whining.

The valid point was you claiming what you would have done if you were in a situation you know almost nothing about?

Um, ok.

Deberg_1990 03-26-2013 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Preach on brother Tim!

Lzen 03-26-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9528741)

It's simple, really. Some people hate on him because he's a man of faith and isn't afraid to show it. :shake:

Deberg_1990 03-26-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9530034)
It's simple, really. Some people hate on him because he's a man of faith and isn't afraid to show it. :shake:

Sure, thats alot of it.....but just this specific incident to me reeks of a "photo op" or "Just listen to me guys, im pretty important"

very narcissistic

HemiEd 03-26-2013 09:05 AM

This is almost as sweet as 1981 when KU, K-State and the Shockers were all in the sweet 16. Then the "battle in New Orleans" where the Shockers prevailed over the Jayhawks.

Brock 03-26-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9530034)

You must be joking. Making a show of praying on the sidelines at a critical juncture in a game isn't "not being afraid to show it". It's putting on a show, period.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

WhiteWhale 03-26-2013 09:14 AM

Oh my god.

Who the hell cares?

boogblaster 03-26-2013 10:24 AM

guess it was ok .....

Pasta Little Brioni 03-26-2013 11:46 AM

I've got respect for this team now. Just heard their coach talk about winning despite not having a team full of All Americans. Seemed like a shot at "Big Brother" to me. Awesome.

Cannibal 03-26-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9530132)
You must be joking. Making a show of praying on the sidelines at a critical juncture in a game isn't "not being afraid to show it". It's putting on a show, period.

Agreed. Clay pulled a gif of Tebow where he went into his prayer stance and after a few seconds interrupted his prayer so he could turn around and check to see if the cameras were on him. He was busted for putting on a show.

Calcountry 03-26-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9528386)
and if WSU won they would be the lowest seed since KU to win the whole thing.

I don't know if they can get by Florida Gulf Coast.

tk13 03-31-2013 12:35 AM

I guess this would be a fun time to bump this.