ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Another use for the second rounder. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113907)

Line Judge 04-10-2005 12:41 AM

Another use for the second rounder.

As you can tell this is a post from a rookie. I would like to know if this is doable. Assume we can get Surtain with a fourth round this year and a second or third round next year. With the loss of Beisel, Fujita & Barber injured, Fox new and Mitchell undeveloped linebacker becomes a greater need than corner. Do you think Peterson would give up a second round choice if Merriman or Johnson were still on the board at round 10? Is there a chance that one of these would have an impact on our defense much like Derrick Thomas? Do you think they would fit into Gunther's plan on defense? Could they turn around a game much like Thomas did? Would this be worth giving up a second round choice? Thanks for your input.

Hammock Parties 04-10-2005 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Detert
As you can tell this is a post from a rookie. I would like to know if this is doable. Assume we can get Surtain with a fourth round this year and a second or third round next year. With the loss of Beisel, Fujita & Barber injured, Fox new and Mitchell undeveloped linebacker becomes a greater need than corner. Do you think Peterson would give up a second round choice if Merriman or Johnson were still on the board at round 10? Is there a chance that one of these would have an impact on our defense much like Derrick Thomas? Do you think they would fit into Gunther's plan on defense? Could they turn around a game much like Thomas did? Would this be worth giving up a second round choice? Thanks for your input.

Fujita will be fine. The Chiefs will likely pick up a FA OLB or draft one with the #1 pick.

Archie Bunker 04-10-2005 12:48 AM

I think it is something that Carl has to think about. I have read that Dallas would like to trade down so that would get the Chiefs into Merriman range. DJ would be sweet but I think he will go in the top 7 and I am not sure that the 15th and the 2nd would be enough to move up into that range. Maybe a pick in next years draft to sweeten the pot.

But to answer your question it is doable and if Surtain is acquired LB jumps in front of the need at CB as long as Warfield is not going to miss any time.

Tribal Warfare 04-10-2005 01:09 AM

The Vikings are going for Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards

beer bacon 04-10-2005 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare

I could see them snagging DJ if he is still there at #7.

Tribal Warfare 04-10-2005 01:22 AM

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5332038.html

they didn't have DJ in for interviews

Archie Bunker 04-10-2005 01:24 AM

Quote:

To clarify I meant the top 7 picks. I could see Cleveland, Tennessee, or Minnesota taking him. No matter what the teams needs are a LB like DJ is going to be hard for any team to pass up.

Tribal Warfare 04-10-2005 01:26 AM

check the link

Archie Bunker 04-10-2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

check the link

Ok

"Placing any real significance on predraft visits is difficult."

"In 2002, Bryant McKinnie wasn't one of several players the Vikings brought in for a look, but the team ended up taking the offensive tackle with the No. 7 pick."

Tribal Warfare 04-10-2005 01:37 AM

that was one time occurance though , logically teams never shoot from the hip without meeting a player

Gaz 04-10-2005 06:26 AM

Welcome to the Planet, Bill...

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Not gonna happen, of course, but I would be all over it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not getting his hopes up, but enjoying the fantasy.

Phobia 04-10-2005 08:49 AM

Quote:

that was one time occurance though , logically teams never shoot from the hip without meeting a player

That's not necessarily true. I can't remember a time the Chiefs drafted a player they actually brought in for interviews. I think the limit is 15 players. I'm pretty sure they interviewed Tony Gonzalez.

Line Judge 04-10-2005 10:35 AM

See Gaz' poll "Surtain, Johnson and the cost incured. He said the same thing I said only better. For you experts: who is better Merriman or DJ? Some mock drafts have Merriman going before him.

htismaqe 04-10-2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Detert
See Gaz' poll "Surtain, Johnson and the cost incured. He said the same thing I said only better. For you experts: who is better Merriman or DJ? Some mock drafts have Merriman going before him.

It's hard to say who is better, because they're completely different players.

Merriman is a pass-rusher, DE/OLB combo. Johnson is a prototypical OLB with speed to spare.

LiL stumppy 04-10-2005 11:18 AM

I would be for it if Warfield isn't going to miss time.