ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chip Kelly stays at Oregon (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268573)

AussieChiefsFan 01-06-2013 10:23 PM

Chip Kelly stays at Oregon

Quote:

Chip Kelly stays at Oregon

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.word...3501.jpg?w=179

Perhaps the biggest move of the coaching hiring cycle is the one that wasn’t made.

Per multiple reports, Oregon coach Chip Kelly is staying in Oregon.

The move comes a day after Kelly spent multiple hours meeting with the Eagles, and two days after he reportedly was close to becoming the next coach of the Browns.

It’s the second straight year that Kelly nearly has left Oregon for the NFL, and the question becomes whether the NFL opportunity will keep knocking. At some point, NFL teams won’t waste their time trying to hire him.

At some point, Kelly’s Favre-ish indecision could impact recruiting in a negative way. For now, Kelly’s choice to stay in Oregon will surely help seal the deal for the coming class who will be able to sign their letters of intent early next month.

For now, some league insiders believe that Kelly and his agent, David Dunn, overplayed their hand and were forced to save face. Others believe Kelly simply wasn’t ready to leave the college game. If he isn’t ready now, he may never be.
Source

notorious 01-06-2013 10:24 PM

Believe it when I see it.

Trevo_410 01-06-2013 10:25 PM

lol

KCrockaholic 01-06-2013 10:25 PM

Wow.

KCrockaholic 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

At some point, Kelly’s Favre-ish indecision
lol

BIG_DADDY 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

What a stupid article. Welcome home Chip.

Strongside 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

Kind of a surprise with everything that's on the horizon for the program. Glad we got our man early. Suck it, bitches!

Demonpenz 01-06-2013 10:26 PM

who the **** still uses a pay phone?

Phobia 01-06-2013 10:27 PM

I feel like you have to strike while the iron is hot. The iron may never be hotter for Kelly. He has a good thing at Oregon though. I don't really care either way.

Mother****erJones 01-06-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9290714)
Kind of a surprise with everything that's on the horizon for the program. Glad we got our man early. Suck it, bitches!

Feels good dont it? I definitely wondered how long it'd take and didnt think wed be 1st. PHEW atleast it wasnt doug marrone

Chiefshrink 01-06-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9290716)
I don't really care either way.

Same here. But I would bet the press made more of a deal about this than it really was. Supposedly he turned down the Philly job.:hmmm:

ChiefMojo 01-06-2013 10:30 PM

He should have gone now and at worst after next season. Who knows what is going to happen with possible NCAA sanctions looming?

I wonder if he is questioning if his style would work in the NFL or just the options he found present not what he was looking for? It may be apparent also the NFL wasn't ready for him either.

TribalElder 01-06-2013 10:37 PM

LOL

Insert Rick Astley

Never gonna give you up never gonna let you down

TribalElder 01-06-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9290727)
He should have gone now and at worst after next season. Who knows what is going to happen with possible NCAA sanctions looming?

I wonder if he is questioning if his style would work in the NFL or just the options he found present not what he was looking for? It may be apparent also the NFL wasn't ready for him either.

Perhaps the cba cramps his practice style which ****s up his entire game plan

Silock 01-06-2013 10:40 PM

Nike is paying him enough that he doesn't want to live in Cleveland. Can you blame him?

Oregon chief 01-06-2013 10:44 PM

Kinda strange the way it all went down but I'm happy to have him back at Oregon

Bump 01-06-2013 10:47 PM

he only wanted to come to KC, obvi

AussieChiefsFan 01-06-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9290772)
he only wanted to come to KC, obvi

^

CaliforniaChief 01-06-2013 10:48 PM

The reporting on coaching rumor mills has just been atrocious this offseason.

Close to a deal with Browns, close with Eagles, then staying.
Reid 95% done to AZ, oops, KC.
The Buffalo job was Whisenhunt's. Oops.

In58men 01-06-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9290777)

No shit lol

Reid was rumored to San Diego at one point as well. Douche bags

Gravedigger 01-06-2013 10:57 PM

What a joke Chip Kelly is. Jerking teams off just to get some free meals, attention, and get the price jacked up on his next contract. I'm upset he didn't go to the Browns because I wanted to see his system fail.

Bump 01-06-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9290794)
What a joke Chip Kelly is. Jerking teams off just to get some free meals, attention, and get the price jacked up on his next contract. I'm upset he didn't go to the Browns because I wanted to see his system fail.

you kinda sound like my bitter ex girlfriend

wazu 01-06-2013 11:20 PM

Glad to see. One less good candidate for San Diego. Now, if some NFC team wouldn't mind snatching up Arians, it would be much appreciated.

Mother****erJones 01-06-2013 11:28 PM

I dont think Kelly is jerking off teams. Thats a big decision. He's playing the game with the agent. Gota respect he's going back to Oregon

Canofbier 01-06-2013 11:43 PM

Imagine how Browns fans must feel right now. According to most media outlets, they were mere moments away from hiring a coach that has the potential to take them out of the hellish state they've been in for decades, but then decides that he'd rather not coach in the NFL at all than take the position with their team. Rough. Makes me feel even better about the Reid hire, though, that's for sure.

Mother****erJones 01-06-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9290856)
Imagine how Browns fans must feel right now. According to most media outlets, they were mere moments away from hiring a coach that has the potential to take them out of the hellish state they've been in for decades, but then decides that he'd rather not coach in the NFL at all than take the position with their team. Rough. Makes me feel better about the Reid hire, though, that's for sure.

Kinda like Cards fans think Reid was their coach Tuesday? :evil:

wazu 01-06-2013 11:53 PM

Funny how the Gruden news has dropped off.

Bugeater 01-06-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9290757)
Nike is paying him enough that he doesn't want to live in Cleveland. Can you blame him?

I can't believe he even considered it to begin with.

Mother****erJones 01-06-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9290864)
Funny how the Gruden news has dropped off.

I thought he would have wanted the Bears job. Big market, QB, good defense. He's like Cowher now

chiefzilla1501 01-07-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9290838)
I dont think Kelly is jerking off teams. Thats a big decision. He's playing the game with the agent. Gota respect he's going back to Oregon

Not as bad as I made it sound in another thread. But let's not go putting on a hero's cape. There's nothing to "respect" here. He cheated, will put the program on probation, and yet decided to hardball the program he ruined into a pay raise by threatening to leave. He's going to Oregon for money, not because he had a conscience to stick with the program through thick and thin.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9290882)
Not as bad as I made it sound in another thread. But let's not go putting on a hero's cape. There's nothing to "respect" here. He cheated, will put the program on probation, and yet decided to hardball the program he ruined into a pay raise by threatening to leave. He's going to Oregon for money, not because he had a conscience to stick with the program through thick and thin.

I meant respect for the fact he's going back to Oregon who's got NCAA issues

chiefzilla1501 01-07-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9290885)
I meant respect for the fact he's going back to Oregon who's got NCAA issues

Because of money. He's not going there because he has a good conscience.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9290893)
Because of money. He's not going there because he has a good conscience.

He's still going back. He could of got good money from CLE and PHI

chiefzilla1501 01-07-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9290906)
He's still going back. He could of got good money from CLE and PHI

He is being backed by Phil Knight of Nike.

This is the second year in a row he has essentially faked interest in the NFL to boost himself. Even worse because he did that this year in a year when he is going to really hurt the reputation of the program and screw them out of bowl games.

He cheated and is going to get paid handsomely for it. He is going back to Oregon for money, not out of loyalty or honor.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9290939)
He is being backed by Phil Knight of Nike.

This is the second year in a row he has essentially faked interest in the NFL to boost himself. Even worse because he did that this year in a year when he is going to really hurt the reputation of the program and screw them out of bowl games.

He cheated and is going to get paid handsomely for it. He is going back to Oregon for money, not out of loyalty or honor.

He'll get his man don't worry

Micjones 01-07-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9290745)
LOL

Insert Rick Astley

Never gonna give you up never gonna let you down

/thread

Rugby Thompson 01-07-2013 05:11 AM

Can someone elaborate on what he did by cheating?

CoMoChief 01-07-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9290715)
who the **** still uses a pay phone?

I didnt know they still even exsisted. seriously...i never see them anymore.

Pushead2 01-07-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Thompson (Post 9291112)
Can someone elaborate on what he did by cheating?

"In staying with Oregon, Kelly will still have to deal with fallout from an NCAA investigation into the school's use of recruiting services.

The inquiry is the result of reports that surfaced in 2011 concerning payments Oregon made to two such services, including a $25,000 check sent to Willie Lyles and Houston-based Complete Scouting Services in 2010. Lyles had a relationship with a player who committed to Oregon.

Last month, Yahoo Sports reported that Oregon is headed toward a hearing with the NCAA committee on infractions because the two sides couldn't come to an agreement on appropriate sanctions. Yahoo cited two unidentified sources.

Earlier this year, Oregon requested a summary disposition in the case. The school presented a report to the infractions committee outlining violations the school believed occurred and appropriate sanctions. But that request was apparently turned down.

The NCAA does not comment on ongoing investigations."

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9291119)
I didnt know they still even exsisted. seriously...i never see them anymore.

Ya pay phones probably exist in Compton, California

AussieChiefsFan 01-07-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9291147)
Ya pay phones probably exist in Compton, California

Quite a few :hmmm:http://www.payphone-project.com/numbers/usa/CA/COMPTON/

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9291148)

ROFL ya definitley not standing at a pay phone there. Would be like an episode of Menace to Society

bevischief 01-07-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9290716)
I feel like you have to strike while the iron is hot. The iron may never be hotter for Kelly. He has a good thing at Oregon though. I don't really care either way.

This.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 07:17 AM

He may wait another year. Philly or CLE? Id take philly but the fans are rough and the next guy has big shoes to fill regardless of what people think. Their last coach won 130 games and appeared in a Super Bowl

CoMoChief 01-07-2013 07:28 AM

Isn't Oregon gonna be punished for recruiting violations or something?

If I were him I'd be pulling a Pete Carroll right about now.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9291157)
Isn't Oregon gonna be punished for recruiting violations or something?

If I were him I'd be pulling a Pete Carroll right about now.

Ya I saw something on that im not sure though. He's not pete carroll coach wise though IMO. No NFL experience. Pete was a HC for NYJ and NE and was successful. If I were Kelly I wouldve went to CLE, if you fail oh well just another fail in CLE, if you win youre a GOD

slimdagreat 01-07-2013 07:37 AM

I think he knows that next year might be his best shot at a title and none of the open nfl jobs interested him.

CoMoChief 01-07-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9291159)
Ya I saw something on that im not sure though. He's not pete carroll coach wise though IMO. No NFL experience. Pete was a HC for NYJ and NE and was successful. If I were Kelly I wouldve went to CLE, if you fail oh well just another fail in CLE, if you win youre a GOD

i know he doesn't have NFL exp, I'm just saying in terms of leaving the NCAA before your stuck at a program that's about to go through hell, cause thats exactly what Carroll did..and his buddies that have USC ties up in Seattle lured him there.

Pushead2 01-07-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9291159)

I agree - I think he could have had descent success in Cleveland.

mikey23545 01-07-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9290777)

Twitter never lies, dammit.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 08:59 AM

Hopefully this wakes people up.

He had SEVERAL detailed conversations with the Browns, talked to the Eagles, and then decided to go back to Oregon.

:hmmm:

BIG_DADDY 01-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 9291121)
"In staying with Oregon, Kelly will still have to deal with fallout from an NCAA investigation into the school's use of recruiting services.

The inquiry is the result of reports that surfaced in 2011 concerning payments Oregon made to two such services, including a $25,000 check sent to Willie Lyles and Houston-based Complete Scouting Services in 2010. Lyles had a relationship with a player who committed to Oregon.

Last month, Yahoo Sports reported that Oregon is headed toward a hearing with the NCAA committee on infractions because the two sides couldn't come to an agreement on appropriate sanctions. Yahoo cited two unidentified sources.

Earlier this year, Oregon requested a summary disposition in the case. The school presented a report to the infractions committee outlining violations the school believed occurred and appropriate sanctions. But that request was apparently turned down.

The NCAA does not comment on ongoing investigations."

The NCAA is a hypocritical POS.

BigMeatballDave 01-07-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimdagreat (Post 9291161)
I think he knows that next year might be his best shot at a title and none of the open nfl jobs interested him.

Can't get a title if they are sanctioned.

TEX 01-07-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9291364)
Can't get a title if they are sanctioned.

Yep, and they likely are. That's why I'm very surprised he didn't pull a Pete Carroll.

HemiEd 01-07-2013 09:35 AM

I hope he rots and misses his chance at Oregon. The dirty play of his team in the Fiesta bowl made me hate him.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-07-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9291400)
Yep, and they likely are. That's why I'm very surprised he didn't pull a Pete Carroll.

Uncle Phil backed up the Brinks truck...

Mr. Laz 01-07-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9290838)

why?

htismaqe 01-07-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9291400)

Somebody wanted Pete Carroll - he was a former NFL head coach.

It's pretty obvious what happened with Chip Kelly.

Ultra Peanut 01-07-2013 04:41 PM

Color me wholly unsurprised.

saphojunkie 01-07-2013 05:30 PM

Man oh man. With Kelly staying at Oregon (and frankly, I don't see any reason for Brian Kelly to leave ND - you're a GOD there after this season), and Cowher/Gruden staying behind the mike, it's a true pleasure watching San Diego, Arizona, and the rest battle for the coaching scraps.

Meanwhile, we're going to get first shot at all the best coordinators, too.

FloridaMan88 01-07-2013 06:58 PM

Chip Kelly is a smart man... he knows he would be a dumpster fire of fail in the NFL.

Raiderhater 01-07-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9291286)
Hopefully this wakes people up.

He had SEVERAL detailed conversations with the Browns, talked to the Eagles, and then decided to go back to Oregon.

:hmmm:

So I was wrong. Wasn't the first time and will not be the last. I admit it.

I still like the over all idea. But obviously he is not the guy to bring about what I want.

MahiMike 01-07-2013 07:26 PM

Good deal! I'd hate for my 1st choice to actually go in the NFL and succeed. Plus I really enjoy watching Oregon play.

JoeyChuckles 01-07-2013 07:28 PM

Yet another reason I'm glad we already got our guy.