ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mike and Mike Talking about Geno going #1 overall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271175)

DJ's left nut 03-15-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501793)
Alex Smith on the other hand is not guaranteed to be here after this year.

Truth.

His salary is guaranteed for 2014, but you could trade him and the guaranteed salary goes with him.

But I expect him to be in the top half of QBs in the NFL next season, so I don't see us trading him.

Dave Lane 03-15-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501530)
This would be hilarious.

The Chiefs trade with the Eagles for their #4 pick. The Anti-Geno people scream from the rooftops that they knew what they were talking about. The Chiefs would never draft a QB in the 1st round.

Then the Chiefs take Matt Barkley at #4.

Change that to Buffalo and I'd be in

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9501777)
Screw it then. Why have a starting QB in the first place if you don't plan on winning from the get go?:rolleyes:

why are you getting mad at me?

I didn't want Alex Smith ... i didn't trade for Alex Smith ... i didn't sign Chase Daniels.

I've said several times that the Chiefs situation was to take a shot and draft Geno Smith. That Geno Smith had the potential and would be considered a top 8 draft pick by the time the draft rolled around. No player was really worth at top 5 pick this year so that if you are going to reach then you reach for a QB.

I'm just going by what the Chiefs APPEAR to be doing.

LOL at people getting mad because they aren't hearing what they want to hear.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501802)

But I expect him to be in the top half of QBs in the NFL next season, so I don't see us trading him.

Not on IR he ain't

The Franchise 03-15-2013 11:01 AM

The thing is....no one has any clue what the Chiefs are doing right now.

No one realistically before FA thought the Chiefs were going to be THIS active. They've effectively filled 70-80% of the holes on this team before the draft.

They realistically, with the way this team is built, could draft a QB at 1.1 if they want to. That's the thing....no one has a ****ing clue what they want.

ndws 03-15-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501792)
Every NFL contract is 'voidable'; they're not guaranteed.

What you're reading when you see 'voidable' is that Chase Daniel can opt out of it if he throws 12 TDs and 2K yards.

Sure, they can cut Daniel after 2013 and accelerate the remaining $2 million onto the cap, plus his $1 million in guaranteed salary...but it would be stupid. His cap figure for 2014 is going to be right at $3.85 million. If you cut him, his dead money is $3 million. You can't get a veteran backup, even a shitty one, for the $850k cap savings you'd take by releasing him.

Daniel will probably be gone in 2015 when his base salary is $3.75 million and none of it's guaranteed, but he's here for the next 2 years without question.

I hadn't really looked into his contract all that much to begin with, just thought I had heard that anything guaranteed was only in the first year. What you say makes sense.

I still think they are setting the table though. I was against drafting Geno without a vet on roster, but with the changes that have been made, especially at so many places of need, I would almost be surprised if we didn't take Geno first overall now and advance him at his own pace.

Frazod 03-15-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501766)
Chase Daniel is a career backup QB.

Yep. He must really suck, having played every game of his pro career behind that Brees guy. I mean, if you can't unseat a Super Bowl winning future Hall of Famer who never missed a start, you must really suck, right?

Terrible.

:shake:

bevischief 03-15-2013 11:05 AM

:popcorn:

patteeu 03-15-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9501782)
Not the same exact scenario but see the Titans in 2011 drafting a QB at #8 overall, signing a vet. QB and starting the vet for a year.

That's definitely a better comparison.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-15-2013 11:06 AM

It is not hard to believe that Reid thinks he can trade Alex Smith and get most his investment in picks back. He's traded "backups" before with good success.

patteeu 03-15-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501811)
The thing is....no one has any clue what the Chiefs are doing right now.

No one realistically before FA thought the Chiefs were going to be THIS active. They've effectively filled 70-80% of the holes on this team before the draft.

They realistically, with the way this team is built, could draft a QB at 1.1 if they want to. That's the thing....no one has a ****ing clue what they want.

I agree with this. I think that's what makes this off-season and the Chiefs position at 1.1 in the draft so interesting/exciting.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9501837)
I agree with this. I think that's what makes this off-season and the Chiefs position at 1.1 in the draft so interesting/exciting.

Therein lies the problem.

The Anti-QB at 1.1 people have been shouting forever that the Chiefs will NEVER take a QB at 1.1. They can't admit that it's a legitimate ****ing possibility.

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9501816)
Yep. He must really suck, having played every game of his pro career behind that Brees guy. I mean, if you can't unseat a Super Bowl winning future Hall of Famer who never missed a start, you must really suck, right?

Terrible.

:LOL::LOL:

mizzou butthurt always makes me laugh

ROFL

silver5liter 03-15-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Terrible.

Matt Cassel couldnt beat out Brady. Lets have him in for a look

Kiimo 03-15-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Terrible.

No he sucks because he sucks. His arm sucks. His accuracy sucks. His size sucks. His leadership sucks. Chase Daniel sucks and it has nothing to do with Drew Brees.