ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dan Pompei gives the Chiefs an A (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115107)

htismaqe 04-25-2005 06:51 AM

Dan Pompei gives the Chiefs an A

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3566742?GT1=6335

Kansas City Chiefs: A

Linebacker Derrick Johnson was a tremendous value. The Chiefs did a nice job filling needs, and they got a Pro Bowl corner, Patrick Surtain, for their second-round pick.

keg in kc 04-25-2005 06:54 AM

I'm wondering this morning if some of the negative grades we've gotten have more to do with the antagonstic attitude of the FO towards the media than the actual picks. I mean, seriously, we've had drafts which looked much, much worse the day of that didn't get graded as roughly as this one. Hell, a lot of the guys critical of the Johnson pick had him rated in their top 10 going in.

KevB 04-25-2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
I'm wondering this morning if some of the negative grades we've gotten have more to do with the antagonstic attitude of the FO towards the media than the actual picks. I mean, seriously, we've had drafts which looked much, much worse the day of that didn't get graded as roughly as this one.

It's something other than the picks. There is no more harsh critic of the Chiefs than this board, and all in all, I think most of us are quite pleased at this point.

jeffrho68 04-25-2005 07:02 AM

I'm suprised at these C and D grades we've been getting from the "experts". I think this is one of the best drafts we've had in a long, long time.

jspchief 04-25-2005 07:10 AM

Beyond Johnson, our draft was pretty mediocre.

Colquitt was the best punter available in the draft, but it's still using a 3rd round pick on a punter.

Thorpe was good value in the 4th, with a ton of upside. But he's also a question mark. If he doesn't return to his '03 form, he won't be worth much in the end.

Grigsby sounds like he could give us ST help right away, but I think a lot of Chiefs fans have put this guy on a bit of a pedestal due to his personality in post draft interviews. I'm sure there are pundits that believe he would have been available with our later 5th, or maybe beyond.

Hodge is a fast guy, but beyond that there doesn't appear to be much more to him.

After that, the only pick with any potential IMO is Parquett. Svitek may develop into a good run blocker in our scheme since he appears to be pretty mobile. Kahri Long is a bigtime WTF (I'm sure she'll be good camp fodder). Kilian was taken ahead of guys that had more production in college.

Overall it was an A+++ for the first two rounds (I'm counting Surtain), and about a C+ for the rest.

Chiefnj 04-25-2005 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Beyond Johnson, our draft was pretty mediocre.

Colquitt was the best punter available in the draft, but it's still using a 3rd round pick on a punter.

Thorpe was good value in the 4th, with a ton of upside. But he's also a question mark. If he doesn't return to his '03 form, he won't be worth much in the end.

Grigsby sounds like he could give us ST help right away, but I think a lot of Chiefs fans have put this guy on a bit of a pedestal due to his personality in post draft interviews. I'm sure there are pundits that believe he would have been available with our later 5th, or maybe beyond.

Hodge is a fast guy, but beyond that there doesn't appear to be much more to him.

After that, the only pick with any potential IMO is Parquett. Svitek may develop into a good run blocker in our scheme since he appears to be pretty mobile. Kahri Long is a bigtime WTF (I'm sure she'll be good camp fodder). Kilian was taken ahead of guys that had more production in college.

Overall it was an A+++ for the first two rounds (I'm counting Surtain), and about a C+ for the rest.

I'm in 100% agreement.

whoman69 04-25-2005 08:01 AM

If it were just for the 6th and 7th rounds, I'd have to give an F. They went for some big time projects there for guys who don't even show up on most boards. I'll give an overall grade of B, but that's because I'm a hardass. None of this grading on a curve for me.

Hoover 04-25-2005 08:08 AM

I think the grade would have been totaly different if we would have kept our 2nd round pick.

They loook at day one, then day 2. DJ, and a punter and they say its so so. As fans we say DJ, Surtain and a Punter and we say its Wonderful.

I'm sure if we didn't swing the Surtain deal and drafted DJ, Matt Roth and a Punter they would have given us a B.

As for the 2nd day picks the 4th and 5th round picks were as good as they could have been. Does Mel effin Kieper have a scouting department?

I guess the Chiefs should have reached on a troublem spoiled brat running back to get some good press this weekend....

FloridaMan88 04-25-2005 08:52 AM

The so called "experts" who are grading the Chiefs draft low aren't taking into consideration the fact that the Chiefs used their 2nd round pick to get a Pro Bowl, shutdown CB.

Sure the bottom of the Chiefs draft was unimpressive, but when you consider the Chiefs top 3 picks went towards player who should all be impact starters next season, and the first 2 players selected on Day 2 should be able to contribute to special teams and add depth to positions the Chiefs need depth, I'd say it was a very successful draft.

ILWarpaint 04-25-2005 09:01 AM

Carlos Hall and John Welbourne should be included in this draft as well.

1punkyQB 04-25-2005 09:07 AM

One of my old Lindy's football annuals gave the Eagles '98 draft a C. They picked 4 future Pro Bowlers - Tra Thomas, Jeremiah Trotter, Allen Rossum, and Ike Reese (the latter two as STers). Must be nice to make predictions no one will remember, unless they need bathroom reading.

ck_IN 04-25-2005 09:08 AM

I'd give it a B personally. Getting Johnson looks great but then they go and draft a punter in the 3rd. *shaking head*

They did at least address WR and some other problem areas so outside of the 3rd round choice it wasn't a typical DV magical mystery draft.

Ultra Peanut 04-25-2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

I'm sure there are pundits that believe he would have been available with our later 5th, or maybe beyond.
I'm sure most pundits had no idea who the **** he was, just like most of us.

Ultra Peanut 04-25-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

They went for some big time projects there for guys who don't even show up on most boards.
Quote:

Long was definitely a WTF, but I like Svitek's potential and think Parquet has a pretty decent chance to become, at worst, a player who can contribute a little bit to the team. As for Kilian, well, throw a lot of the guys who had more production than him in college on that Tulsa team and see what they do. One Tulsa fan claimed he willed that 2003 team to a bowl.

keg in kc 04-25-2005 09:29 AM

I like the punter pick. We've tried free agents, we've tried trading, why not try the best punter in the draft since Lechler with the pick third from the end of round 3.

As for the sixth and seventh round, I couldn't care less. You can shuffle all the players taken in those rounds like a deck of cards, 'cause everyone drafted in that range is a project.