ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I know I am probably screwed but need advice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267444)

ChiliConCarnage 05-18-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyah123 (Post 9690354)
I think this guy has screwed me over too. I just gave him $800 to build a wrought iron fence several weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. What ever happened with your situation? Please contact me, I'd like to get the MO Atty general involved in this matter.

They never came back. I assume they went to look for him and he has them locked up in his basement for rape time.

It's amazing this guy can do this over and over.

Phobia 05-18-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9690406)
What kind of dumbass gives money to people out of the blue...

No money until the job is done...

What kind of dumbass will buy thousands of dollars of materials and spend weeks of labor without money up front? That knife cuts both ways.

Phobia 05-18-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyah123 (Post 9690354)
I think this guy has screwed me over too. I just gave him $800 to build a wrought iron fence several weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. What ever happened with your situation? Please contact me, I'd like to get the MO Atty general involved in this matter.

Sorry you got screwed. Don't hire craigslist contractors.

Mr. Laz 05-18-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9690511)
What kind of dumbass will buy thousands of dollars of materials and spend weeks of labor without money up front? That knife cuts both ways.

true ... but you know where they live, they can disappear.

Phobia 05-18-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9690517)
true ... but you know where they live, they can disappear.

Every single one of my clients knows where my shop is and most of them got my number from a friend. I agree with the premise that you don't give a nickel to some idiot off the internet but if you want a big project done, you have to give money to a legitimate contractor or you won't be able to do business with him. I know where a couple of my clients live... One owes me $2k and another owes me over $15k. If they're not moving or selling anytime soon, I can't do anything about it.

boogblaster 05-18-2013 11:06 AM

12 gauge pump ....

Mr. Laz 05-18-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9690522)
Every single one of my clients knows where my shop is and most of them got my number from a friend. I agree with the premise that you don't give a nickel to some idiot off the internet but if you want a big project done, you have to give money to a legitimate contractor or you won't be able to do business with him. I know where a couple of my clients live... One owes me $2k and another owes me over $15k. If they're not moving or selling anytime soon, I can't do anything about it.

not really talking about you ... just in general.

R8RFAN 05-18-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

I will buy the supplies and sit them in my yard... You will be working for me, you will either do business my way or go work for someone else ... Savvy?

jspchief 05-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

You have the protection of mechanics liens and court.

Obviously the scale of the job plays a big role, and money up front or draws are necessary at times. But do you really see yourself asking for money up front for either of the two jobs mentioned in this thread? $2500 of lumber or $800 of fencing?

As I said on my previous post in this thread, if the contractor asks for money for materials. Go to the supplier and buy the materials yourself.

R8RFAN 05-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9690530)

Obviously the scale of the job plays a big role, and money up front or draws are necessary at times. But do you really see yourself asking for money up front for either of the two jobs mentioned in this thread? $2500 of lumber or $800 of fencing?

As I said on my previous post in this thread, if the contractor asks for money for materials. Go to the supplier and buy the materials yourself.

BINGO... Unless they want to put a lien on the title to their truck or boat or whatever...

Phobia 05-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9690524)
not really talking about you ... just in general.

I'm just saying that in general, a contractor has limited recourse if a client chooses not to pay him. He can take a lien out on their house and renew it every year until they die and the house is sold but who wants to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees chasing money they may or may not get 30 years down the road? I suppose a contractor could get violent or vindictive if that's the kind of person that they are but I'm not really willing to risk my freedom for any amount of money.

R8RFAN 05-18-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9690534)
I'm just saying that in general, a contractor has limited recourse if a client chooses not to pay him. He can take a lien out on their house and renew it every year until they die and the house is sold but who wants to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees chasing money they may or may not get 30 years down the road? I suppose a contractor could get violent or vindictive if that's the kind of person that they are but I'm not really willing to risk my freedom for any amount of money.

I know exactly where you are coming from... Brother in laws have been contractors for years... Pay as you go is a good practice ...

Phobia 05-18-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9690530)

I doubt I'd be asking for money up front on an $800, one-day job. But I'd ask for money if I was spending a couple grand on materials and not going to finish the job for a couple weeks. That's fair. If my materials are sitting on a client's job site and either one of us gets hit by a bus, we are both protected if they're paid for and sitting on their property. I make sure my clients are comfortable with the money they've paid out and the progress of their job. If they go nuts and decide they're not paying, I don't want to get hurt and if I go nuts and ditch their job, I don't want them to get hurt either.

BigRedChief 05-18-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9186987)
Wow, $2500 before he even did a lick of work. Who does that?
Posted via Mobile Device

We gave $1,200 to the guys doing work at our house. They would start the next day. But, we knew them and hired them because they had done a 3 month job across the street from our old house.

We are real happy with their work. We were definitely concerned that we didn't know someone and wish we would have Phobia to do it but its a new neighborhood.

But giving someone off craigslist without knowing them................They have committed two felonies. The police should take it seriously. You will get your money back if the catch them.

Phobia 05-18-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9690526)
I will buy the supplies and sit them in my yard... You will be working for me, you will either do business my way or go work for someone else ... Savvy?

That's fine with me. But I'd say you're a very unique person. Most of my clients don't want anything to do with any of the process. They just want it to look like the picture when we're done and they don't care how it gets that way.