ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Anybody know anything about St. Paul? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302841)

GloucesterChief 10-14-2016 09:15 PM

Anybody know anything about St. Paul?

Hey,

My brother just got a new job working for 3M and he has to relocate from the middle of nowhere McPherson, KS to the twin cities. I think we have some Minnesota residents here, so I am asking for some advice to relay.

Simply Red 10-14-2016 09:24 PM

Oddly lots of women.

POND_OF_RED 10-14-2016 10:07 PM

Tell him congratulations. Anything is better than middle of nowhere Kansas. I've been to St Paul a few times for work. It seems like a fun city. Lots of cultural diversity in the twin cities.

Pitt Gorilla 10-14-2016 10:14 PM

The Twin Cities are incredible. Great food, parks, performances. Beautiful cities. Congrats to him.

BucEyedPea 10-14-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 12483738)
Tell him congratulations. Anything is better than middle of nowhere Kansas. I've been to St Paul a few times for work. It seems like a fun city. Lots of cultural diversity in the twin cities.

Love those Somalis with TB 'eh?

BucEyedPea 10-14-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 12483674)
Hey,

My brother just got a new job working for 3M and he has to relocate from the middle of nowhere McPherson, KS to the twin cities. I think we have some Minnesota residents here, so I am asking for some advice to relay.

He was once called Saul but he became Paul; converted after falling off his horse being struck blind.

ping2000 10-14-2016 10:24 PM

3M makes great tape. I get mine at the Scotch Boutique.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d666660cec.jpg

RealSNR 10-14-2016 10:32 PM

St. Paul Saints > Minnesota Twins

Gonzo 10-15-2016 01:55 AM

Well sure, here you go. Don't know what this has to do with 3M though.

Quote:

Paul the Apostle (Latin: Paulus; Greek: Παῦλος, translit. Paulos; c. 5 – c. 67), commonly known as Saint Paul, and also known by his native name Saul of Tarsus (Hebrew: שאול התרסי‎, translit. Sha'ul ha-Tarsi‎; Greek: Σαῦλος Ταρσεύς, translit. Saulos Tarseus)[4][5][6] was an apostle (though not one of the Twelve Apostles) who taught the gospel of the Christ to the 1st-century world.[7] He is generally considered one of the most important figures of the Apostolic Age.[8][9] In the mid-30s to the mid-50s AD, he founded several churches in Asia Minor and Europe. Paul took advantage of his status as both a Jew and a Roman citizen to minister to both Jewish and Roman audiences.

el borracho 10-15-2016 02:41 AM

St Paul- let's see...

really close to Minneapolis
something about Snoopy
lots of breweries
at least one architecturally interesting church
may or may not have a music scene

displacedinMN 10-15-2016 07:07 AM

If he is going to live here and does not want to commute, There are plenty of good places to live on that side.

Woodbury, Stillwater, Maplewood, Oakdale, North and South St. Paul. Good schools.

Although I live west of Minneapolis and have a friend that drives to 3M everyday. Its not a bad drive. I live in a new neighborhood that has open spaces. Could build a house in my development and not spend 1M like some others I know. I could use another Chiefs fan in the area. Home prices are on the rise here and they are moving fast. Depending on what side of town he wants to move to, I have a nice realtor friend. She works the West side, 3M is on the east.

Winter takes some time to get used to if you have never experienced it. Brutal cold. That will take a few years to get used to. Some November snow may be on the ground until April. More trees than KS. Less tornadoes.

Minnesota nice is real. Minnesotans are passive/aggressive. They are hard to warm up to. They do not like to let people into their inner circle. He may never become a full Minnesotan. I still am not. I have been here 16 years. Many have cabins they go to on the weekend. Friday productivity in the summer goes down 50% because people leave. But don't expect to get invited to someones cabin.

Taxes are higher. Don't expect to retire here.

There are a lot of things to do here in the city. Lots of celebrations, arts, activities. We don't get into a lot of it because the kids are busy.

gblowfish 10-15-2016 07:54 AM

I've been there a few times. The Twin Cities have everything you could possibly want: All the pro sports, college sports, arts, craft brews, etc. It seemed to me that people go waaaaay overboard with outdoor stuff in the summer, like biking or roller blading or whatever. I think winter makes them so stir crazy that they try to max out summer activity as much as possible.

I have a good friend who lives in Minneapolis. He always goes to Florida in January to get the hell of there for a week or so. You can go literally weeks without stepping outdoors in winter. Heated car garage to heated car, to covered parking garage, to building -and if you're downtown, all the buildings are connected by these little human gerbil tubes.

It's a beautiful mostly clean city, but its too damn cold for too damn long for me to ever consider living there. Nice place to visit in the summer though.

gblowfish 10-15-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 12483880)
St Paul- let's see...

really close to Minneapolis
something about Snoopy
lots of breweries
at least one architecturally interesting church
may or may not have a music scene

One of my favorite newspaper headlines of all time was from the Minneapolis Star. There was two rival gangs who had a nasty gun drawing altercation inside the Mall of America at the Amusement Park. The headline was:

THREE DIE AT CAMP SNOOPY

GloucesterChief 10-15-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12483920)
If he is going to live here and does not want to commute, There are plenty of good places to live on that side.

Woodbury, Stillwater, Maplewood, Oakdale, North and South St. Paul. Good schools.

Although I live west of Minneapolis and have a friend that drives to 3M everyday. Its not a bad drive. I live in a new neighborhood that has open spaces. Could build a house in my development and not spend 1M like some others I know. I could use another Chiefs fan in the area. Home prices are on the rise here and they are moving fast. Depending on what side of town he wants to move to, I have a nice realtor friend. She works the West side, 3M is on the east.

Winter takes some time to get used to if you have never experienced it. Brutal cold. That will take a few years to get used to. Some November snow may be on the ground until April. More trees than KS. Less tornadoes.

Minnesota nice is real. Minnesotans are passive/aggressive. They are hard to warm up to. They do not like to let people into their inner circle. He may never become a full Minnesotan. I still am not. I have been here 16 years. Many have cabins they go to on the weekend. Friday productivity in the summer goes down 50% because people leave. But don't expect to get invited to someones cabin.

Taxes are higher. Don't expect to retire here.

There are a lot of things to do here in the city. Lots of celebrations, arts, activities. We don't get into a lot of it because the kids are busy.

He is in his mid-20s and is starting as the lowest level chemist doing QC for 3Ms R&D department so he isn't making a lot of money. He will probably be more interested in an apartment than a house.

He isn't a chiefs fan or much of a sports fan except for road cycling at all. If he was he would probably be a Skins fan as we grew up in southeast VA.

displacedinMN 10-15-2016 08:22 AM

He is golden. He will still make good money. Find a nice apt on the east side. There are tons of bike trails here. Enough that he could bike from STP to Wilmar which is 60 miles from the west side. There is a big bike culture here.

Since he is in his mid 20's with a job. Girls will be looking for him if he is single.