ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   negative rep policy for horizon scrolling? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122305)

Mr. Laz 08-24-2005 10:39 AM

negative rep policy for horizon scrolling?

anyone who messes up a thread by making it a scroll sideway deal without fixing should get a neg rep?

and no I'm not talking about a minuscule scroll because a pic or coding is a little too big ... am talking about one of those

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................aaaa
........................oddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...............

reerun posts :mad:

i run on 1280x1024 ... i can only imagine how bad it is for a 800x600

shakesthecat 08-24-2005 10:40 AM

:clap:

jidar1 08-24-2005 10:44 AM

If I had a teeny pos monitor and could only run in 800x600, I wouldn't be blaming other people for having to scroll. Those folks are reaping what they sow.

Intentional scrolling though is ignorant and bannable in a lot of internet forums, and I would agree with it. Jackasses don't need to spam aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dartgod 08-24-2005 10:55 AM

I have another problem with horizontal scrolling. I have my preferences set so that attachments or image hotlinks appear as hyperlinks so that I can view peoples sigs and posts without having pictures that could get me in trouble at work automatically appear. I have to click on the link to see them.

It works pretty well with the exception of two members. KCChiefsman and Tommykat have sigs with extremely long links to images that causes me to horizontal scroll on any thread they post on. In Tommykat's case it's probably because she uses what appears to be a size 48 font for whatever reason.

It's annoying, but I guess I have to live with it.

go bo 08-24-2005 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jidar1
If I had a teeny pos monitor and could only run in 800x600, I wouldn't be blaming other people for having to scroll. Those folks are reaping what they sow.

Intentional scrolling though is ignorant and bannable in a lot of internet forums, and I would agree with it. Jackasses don't need to spam aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

laz doesn't have a teeny monitor...

and, right now, he's the only one "complaining"...

btw, i have a 19" monitor and i agree with laz...

KCTitus 08-24-2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod
It works pretty well with the exception of two members. KCChiefsman and Tommykat have sigs with extremely long links to images that causes me to horizontal scroll on any thread they post on.

It's for that reason, I had to turn sigs off...just too fuggin annoying. People with hyperlinks 3ft long screwed up an entire thread.

Mr. Laz 08-24-2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bo
laz doesn't have a teeny monitor...

and, right now, he's the only one "complaining"...

btw, i have a 19" monitor and i agree with laz...

it's not that big of a deal .. just irritating

i thought maybe a neg rep blast would "encourage" them to fix their posts is all.

:shrug: just a suggestion

htismaqe 08-24-2005 11:02 AM

Two things preeminently cause this issue:

1) the use of PHP or code tags -- these tags preserve character spacing, etc. so it doesn't automatically line break, unless the author inserts a carriage return in the code itself

2) the use of really long URL's

I propose the following solution to #1:

I've NEVER seen the use of the code tags used on this board for they're original intended use: the posting of actual programming code. I see them used sometimes for spacing purposes to post stats and such.

I propose we remove these tags altogether.

htismaqe 08-24-2005 11:04 AM

btw, I stickied this thread so that other mods could see it.

HemiEd 08-24-2005 11:07 AM

I am amazed at how little I know about this subject. :hmmm:

Gaz 08-24-2005 11:07 AM

Yah...

Can the Mods just rename those long links?

I agree with Laz, it is mondo irritating and inconsiderate.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to see the problem addressed.

Phobia 08-24-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
I've NEVER seen the use of the code tags used on this board for they're original intended use: the posting of actual programming code. I see them used sometimes for spacing purposes to post stats and such.

I propose we remove these tags altogether.

I feel like the benefit gained by being able to post stats and tables to preserve spacing vastly outweighs the infrequent inconvenience of the code tags hosing scrolling.

Phobia 08-24-2005 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Can the Mods just rename those long links?

I agree with Laz, it is mondo irritating and inconsiderate.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would like to see the problem addressed.

Generally, the software automatically truncates those links except when users have images turned off in which case the long link to the img is passed as text and not truncated. I don't know the solution to this problem, I'm afraid.

htismaqe 08-24-2005 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
I feel like the benefit gained by being able to post stats and tables to preserve spacing vastly outweighs the infrequent inconvenience of the code tags hosing scrolling.

I'm running 1400x1050 and still see it quite a bit. Does this mean the mods can feel free to "fix" the code if it won't alter the content of a post?

htismaqe 08-24-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Generally, the software automatically truncates those links except when users have images turned off in which case the long link to the img is passed as text and not truncated. I don't know the solution to this problem, I'm afraid.

Here's the solution:

http://snipurl.com/