ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official Mizzou Head Basketball Coach Search**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283091)

Mojo Jojo 04-24-2014 10:24 AM

810 was reporting this morning that Marshall's agent said no contact from MU.

Bowser 04-24-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10582522)

Well of course not.

We're going to get Floyd, aren't we?

Archie Bunker 04-24-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 10582442)
Dude.

Mizzou is a high profile SEC school. We should not be hiring D2 coaches.

Missouri State would get boos for hiring him.

Bingo

Bowser 04-24-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 10582442)
Dude.

Mizzou is a high profile SEC school. We should not be hiring D2 coaches.

Missouri State would get boos for hiring him.

Exactly this.

IF Anderson is the guy, and IF he falls flat his first year, would Alden be gone? Or is Alden tied intrinsically to Pinkel?

Lex Luthor 04-24-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10582431)
1) He's an old man
2) He was a shitty recruiter as the lead assistant for Norm Stewart's last team (Look at the talent on the teams from the time Rich Daly's guys left... woefully inadequate)
3) He hasn't been in the D1 game for 16 years, so his connections in recruiting are even more questionable
4) He has no experience as a D1 coach

I'll throw in that he's being compared to guys like Ben Howland, who made 3 straight Final Fours AND rebuilt the Pitt program primarily, as well as guys like Chris Mack who have been very successful and consistent at the D1 level.

That's fair. I hadn't really thought about recruiting. Obviously a guy like Howland would be a home run hire.

duncan_idaho 04-24-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10582522)

Contact in these cases is NEVER directly from the school or coach. It is ALWAYS from an intermediary to the agent.

This is done for a few reasons:

1) It keeps things informal and prevents either side's time from being wasted
2) It creates plausible deniability for both the coach and the school. The coach can say he was never contacted. The school doesn't have to be embarrassed by having someone say "no."

I am pretty confident Missouri reached out through an intermediary to float a starting offer of $2.5 million/year to Marshall. Have not heard anything since then, though.

Pepe Silvia 04-24-2014 11:07 AM

Mizzou has the Super AIDS.

duncan_idaho 04-24-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10582604)
Exactly this.

IF Anderson is the guy, and IF he falls flat his first year, would Alden be gone? Or is Alden tied intrinsically to Pinkel?

Anderson is viewed by many as a 'safe' choice for Alden, but I think it's the opposite. It's a high risk choice that could be a disaster.

Alden's greatest fan (Brady Deaton) is no longer his boss. R. Bowen Loftin is not going to give Alden the rope he would have received from Deaton. He also will likely hold Alden to a higher standard in general.

Bowser 04-24-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10582645)
Anderson is viewed by many as a 'safe' choice for Alden, but I think it's the opposite. It's a high risk choice that could be a disaster.

Alden's greatest fan (Brady Deaton) is no longer his boss. R. Bowen Loftin is not going to give Alden the rope he would have received from Deaton. He also will likely hold Alden to a higher standard in general.

Most excellent.

nychief 04-24-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10582641)

wow... that is clever.

Pepe Silvia 04-24-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 10582661)
wow... that is clever.

Go root for Syracuse or something.

Archie Bunker 04-24-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Whether everyone wants to admit it we are a top school, in a major conference. We have to demand more. An Anderson hire shows that MU expects less and sends the wrong message across the country. We should looking to challenge Kentucky not just hang on.

DMAC 04-24-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10582641)

LMAO

nychief 04-24-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10582745)
Go root for Syracuse or something.

Boom. One after another. Someone is hot tonight...

Relax I'm just kidding.

Eleazar 04-24-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

I heard a rumor today that the salaries being talked about in these discussions are not enough to keep the top names interested.