ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life P90X - Does it Work? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269402)

Dayze 01-28-2013 09:38 AM

P90X - Does it Work?

Ok;. So I’m getting to the point where I’m seeing the gestation of ‘moobs’. I’ve had the love handles for a few years.
In 2006, I remember seeing the scale and it reading “215”. I remember telling my wife, ‘holy crap. I weight 215!”

Well, shit. Now I’m probably 240. I’m about 6’1” and carry the weight pretty well, in that I’m not all floppy/flabby.

I’ve done the Couch to 5K twice, and had success. I’m thinking about doing it yet again, and at the conclusion of the program, looking at P90X.
I’d like to do as much as I can from home. If the P90X program produces results, I may invest in a gym membership at that point.

Has anyone used this, and if so, how did you like it. Did you see results?

loochy 01-28-2013 09:42 AM

sure. it's just like any of the other programs - if you eat right and work out hard you'll get results.

Dayze 01-28-2013 09:52 AM

yep. I'm going to eat a lot better along with whatever program I use. Currently, I don't have any weights / bench etc. I think if I can drop some of the fatty weight, I can then go for another round of more intense P90.

I'd also like to get a heavy bag; I had one back in the day and loved it. But, I'm so out of shape, I doubt I would get one until after a P90 (or similar) program.

are there any recommendations of a diet (not a starvation diet, but just a better diet in genearl), and or any supplements? I have zero clue about anything that is sold in a GNC lol.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 09:53 AM

After becoming a piece of shit a few years out of college, I got in pretty good shape courtesy of P90x. It's tough when you start, when you do what you can do.

It's amazing how much easier it is to motivate yourself to eat healthier also when you know if you don't all of the work you are doing will be wasted.

Swanman 01-28-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9357898)
Ok;. So I’m getting to the point where I’m seeing the gestation of ‘moobs’. I’ve had the love handles for a few years.
In 2006, I remember seeing the scale and it reading “215”. I remember telling my wife, ‘holy crap. I weight 215!”

Well, shit. Now I’m probably 240. I’m about 6’1” and carry the weight pretty well, in that I’m not all floppy/flabby.

I’ve done the Couch to 5K twice, and had success. I’m thinking about doing it yet again, and at the conclusion of the program, looking at P90X.
I’d like to do as much as I can from home. If the P90X program produces results, I may invest in a gym membership at that point.

I did see results but I became a lazy bastard. It's a tough workout where you do a lot of different things. There is weight training, yoga, kenpo and plyometrics. The chest and back workout is just a shitload of pushups and pullups and is a killer. Expect soreness but also expect to burn 1,000 calories in a workout if you are really killing it.

Wumbology 01-28-2013 10:03 AM

I work out quite a bit and am in good shape and sometimes I do the plyometric and ab workouts from it and they kill me. So I'm pretty sure it works as long as you stay with it.

The hardest part will be listening to Tony Horton. At one point he says "Get sexy with it!"

Good luck.

Bearcat 01-28-2013 10:06 AM

I like it.... it's fairly repetitive, but it has everything you need as far as workouts, and it comes with a nutrition guide. My home gym consists of a pair of adjustable dumbbells, a pullup bar, and mat. The workouts are long, but if nothing else, use it as a guide and don't be so concerned with completing it in 90 days, completing every 60 minute workout, etc; assuming you're planning on sticking with it for more than 3 months. I use it 3-4 times a week and try to get 30-45 minutes in each workout. I think it's well worth $100, as opposed to a gym membership... but you could probably even get it for free if you ask around.

B14ckmon 01-28-2013 10:10 AM

Just keep in mind that the guys doing this in the video are already ripped. Do not expect to be dominating the reps like they do.

Do what you can do. Do not get discouraged. Use bands and a door hook thing to do pullups for a while. Bands are great to help do things such as backflys, anything with triceps, pullups, when they are too difficult to start.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 10:13 AM

it's always seemed excessive and inefficient to me, but as said most anything will work if you stick with it...

i'd get a pull-up bar, a kettlebell, and do pull-ups/chins; pushups; kettlebell swings and spend half the time doing it...

or You Are Your Own Gym has a great list of body weight workouts that can be done at home, scales from easy to crazy:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-O.../dp/0345528581

and dialing in your diet will have a greater effect than all the 'core work'...

Toadkiller 01-28-2013 10:15 AM

Loved it, but seriously screw that yoga. I dreaded that day, that shit sucks.

Dayze 01-28-2013 10:15 AM

after reading some things online this weekend, it sounds as though there is a predecessor to P90X called Power 90. Sounds as if that might be a good program to start with?

or just say "F it" and dive right into P90X.....hm.m.

Saul Good 01-28-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9357898)

Your best weight loss tool is your fork. The people who can't stick to a diet can't stick to that intense of a workout plan. (I don't mean that to sound like an insult. That's just a lot to ask for 90 days.)

If you want to start a more manageable fitness routine in the JoCo area, my coach does personal training out of his garage twice a week for $70 per month, and he's great. Let me know if you want more info.

siberian khatru 01-28-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9357978)
after reading some things online this weekend, it sounds as though there is a predecessor to P90X called Power 90. Sounds as if that might be a good program to start with?

or just say "F it" and dive right into P90X.....hm.m.

I've been doing Power 90 since early October precisely because everything I read convinced me P90X would be way too intense for a n00b marshmallow like me.

I've had decent results. Best thing for me is the yoga stretching, which has greatly helped my back. I like the resistance band stuff, too. I wasn't looking to get ripped, just burn some fat, tone some muscle and stretch my back.

Dayze 01-28-2013 10:22 AM

I also need to get a better understanding of a better diet. Something that is sustainable. Not one of those "Eat dirt and grapes for 5 months" etc. Just an overal approach to eating. I honestly have no idea. I've always been a meat and potatoes guy.

I'd say over the course of 6 months, I'd like to be able to lose about 30-40lbs; but I'm not sure if that's too unrealistic or not.

I'm not so much in a hurry to lose it, but just want to have some realistic goals to shoot for.

siberian khatru 01-28-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9357992)
I also need to get a better understanding of a better diet. Something that is sustainable. Not one of those "Eat dirt and grapes for 5 months" etc. Just an overal approach to eating. I honestly have no idea. I've always been a meat and potatoes guy.

My experience is you can eat pretty much anything you want so long as you control portions, don't snack late at night and exercise regularly. Drink alcohol in moderation, don't overdo sauces/dressings. When I put weight back on, it's because I'm breaking those rules.

But I'm just a layman. I'm sure there are pros here with specific programs.