ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So my son wants a tattoo (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269756)

frankotank 02-06-2013 01:52 PM

So my son wants a tattoo

He turns 18 about 6 months at which point he can do what he wants anyways. We're using this as a bargaining chip for now....get your grades up and we'll consider it. Welp....just got the mid quarters and he is kicking some major ass!
He wants angel wings (two wings on one arm) from his shoulder to his elbow in honor of his grandmother who passed last year so it's not like it's gonna be small or easily concealed.
I have no problem with tattoos, and honestly i think his idea is a good one. But he's a 17 year old kid. Not sure that this is a good idea. Especially considering the size.

Thoughts?

HonestChieffan 02-06-2013 01:53 PM

Face Tats are the rage.

ptlyon 02-06-2013 01:54 PM

Make sure he puts it on his face

Deberg_1990 02-06-2013 01:54 PM

Whatever MemyselfI thinks.....

suds79 02-06-2013 01:55 PM

I think they're all ugly.

But if he gets one, at least make it so it can be concealed for the workplace.

blaise 02-06-2013 01:55 PM

It's just me, but if art is too tacky to put on the wall of my house I wouldn't put in on my body. But his sentiment seems nice.

memyselfI 02-06-2013 01:56 PM

Not only let him do it but take him. That way you know he is going some place clean and on the up and up. Make him pay for it though. I hated doing this for my daughter and hoped she would only get one but she ended up getting a bunch later on. I hate them but it's her body, her choices. At least I knew that her first one was in a setting that was as safe as possible.

I can't stand them but it's really a generational thing now. Have him start with something small incase he hates it after it's done or changes his mind later on.

teedubya 02-06-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9382539)
Whatever MemyselfI thinks.....

ROFL

KC_Lee 02-06-2013 02:02 PM

I have some ink, 3 in total with another 4 planned, and some free advice.

First, do as much research as you can on the shops you are considering. They need to be friendly, professional and clean. If you get a bunch of D-bags walk out, if the place looks like a frat house after a weekend party walk out.

Talk him out of the wings. For the size he wants (from shoulder to elbow) they will look like crap. If he insists talk with the artist. Any tattoo artist worth their salt will tell you if a tat will look like crap before starting and will suggest (size or location) a better alternative.

Hope that helps.

Easy 6 02-06-2013 02:02 PM

He'll be able to do it on his own soon enough anyway, so whats the harm of coming out of this as the good guy?

Its not like he's getting a satan thats "clawing" its way through his skin or something, honoring grandma sounds like a noble idea.

You say he's been kicking ass, so let him do it.

memyselfI 02-06-2013 02:05 PM

IIRC, if he is under 18 he will need a parent's consent anyway so you will be involved.

mr. tegu 02-06-2013 02:09 PM

Since he is going to do it when he turns 18 anyways, have you considered putting up signs at all the area tattoo shops that say, "Do not serve this person" with his picture on it?

Graystoke 02-06-2013 02:10 PM

My Son got his first one when he was 18. It was a nice decent tattoo. He then followed up with 3 shitty ones.

Strongside 02-06-2013 02:10 PM

It's a personal choice. I actually apprenticed as a tattoo artist while in college. I'm sleeved from my shoulder to two inches past my elbow and from my right knee to my ankle. I also work with fortune 500 CEO's and clientele daily. I do have to pick and choose which clients to keep them visible/not visible for. In some pitches, I feel it's actually given my agency an edge to have them showing as people tend to associate them with creativity. There's nothing wrong with your son having ink as long as he's understanding of these facts:

a) They're there forever. You DO NOT want laser removal.
b) Regardless of what you do in life, you will want to be able to cover them when you need to.
c) Know that not everyone feels the same about tattoos as you do, and while they are definitely losing their taboo status in our society, there are still employers who will frown on them depending what his career choice is.

Again, if he wants them and understands the ramifications, tell him to go for it and be supportive. I know from experience that nothing's worse than having something put on your body that you're super excited about and that will be there forever, and having a loved one tell you that they hate it. It's a soul crusher.

EDIT: Also, have him research HEAVILY to find a good shop. Anyone can get a license these days, so he will want to find a top-notch artist. I can give you some great locations if you're in the KC area. Just PM me.

Sorter 02-06-2013 02:10 PM

Get it done in Russia. He'll be able to find a girlfriend relatively quickly there once he gets his new face tat. Plus, its like you're getting 2 birds stoned at once, you know?