ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Buying out a Business Partner? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267106)

Iowanian 11-27-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9155627)
I will value the brand identity of a sixth month old unprofitable business at $0.25 (give or take $0.25). Figure out what the hard assets are worth and offer half (or less if you want to stick it to them. It's not like they can likely take these assets with them or sell them to someone else for much.)

I agree with this and with Hoover's assessment.

Your wife is the creative talent and the brains of the operation, the other partner is a clerk.
At 6 months, if the store front isn't opened and you don't have brand identity the business isn't worth anything.

That can be very frustrating to hear as a person whom has sunken significant finance, time, heart and soul into a business venture. I was approached about my company a couple of times around my 3rd year and when it came to pricing, the comment was "what is this business worth if you die tomorrow". Were my clients and contracts loyal to ME or to my brand name?

A rough question, but if your wife is the brains and the creative talent, would the business have any wholesale value if something terrible happened to her? Would there be anything more to sell than the office supplies and start up materials?

If so....the value of the business to me is the cost of what those items would bring.

If they're peckerheads about it, shut the door, fire up a new LLC and switch over what you have to that Brand.

Iowanian 11-27-2012 07:54 AM

In short, I'd tell the partner to pump aids gas up her hatchet wound and piss on a brush fire.

notorious 11-27-2012 08:06 AM

Assets-Liability= What the company is worth if you don't want to liquidate

They are absolute morons if they think they will get the money back that they have put in this early, and since there are two women involved this is going to have several meltdown moments.

I have heard stories that early partnership problems like this have a common theme: The seller thinks they are entitled to getting paid for their time, just like an employee.

Good luck.

Great Expectations 11-27-2012 08:42 AM

If you offer them some money, also offer them the opportunity to purchase the business from you for the same amount.

Are you personally guaranteeing the lease?

Dayze 11-27-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9156072)
In short, I'd tell the partner to pump aids gas up her hatchet wound and piss on a brush fire.

LMAO
"Hatchet Wound"

the Talking Can 11-27-2012 08:58 AM

and don't go into business with friends...

luv 11-27-2012 09:05 AM

What kind of business (LLP, LLC, etc?). Is there an operating agreement with buyout provisions? Before any buyout, I would definitely value the business, assets, etc. She shouldn't be able to get any more out of it than what she can prove she put into it. Sounds like you need a good attorney as well. These types of transactions are part of the types of things that my attorney handles (checking for loopholes, legalities, drawing up contracts and agreements, etc.).

BigMeatballDave 11-27-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9156072)

:LOL:

notorious 11-27-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9156216)

This.

Especially if there are two females involved.

el borracho 11-27-2012 09:30 AM

If you suspect "freewheeling with the books" then you would be better off terminating this business and starting fresh. Business entities need to be separate from personal holdings- this is what protects your stuff in the case of audit or litigation. I wouldn't want to be the only one holding the bag some years from now trying to explain that the freewheeling that occurred with the business I now solely own was not my fault.

R8RFAN 11-27-2012 09:38 AM

Option 3

Never go into a partnership with anyone in business... Messy Messy Messy

Jenson71 11-27-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9156288)
Option 3

Never go into a partnership with anyone in business... Messy Messy Messy

Well, I wouldn't go that far . . .

Bill Lundberg 11-27-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9155610)
Hiring a CPA to "go over the books" is meaningless.

What you need is a valuation of the business. It doesn't matter if they put $100k into the business if it's worth $5k.

Good luck!

Dane is wise. Having been through this myself, he's absolutely correct. Don't forget, you're not only buying their share of the business. You're also buying their share of the debt and liability/risk, it is absolutely crazy to think you can get $ for $ that soon after starting a business.

Codered 11-27-2012 09:52 AM

I agree with a lot that has been said already. It's almost laughable that they expect money at this point in the business juncture.

Molitoth 11-27-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9156216)

friends + money = enemies