ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Whitlock thinks RG3's speed is a curse (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256641)

Hammock Parties 03-01-2012 04:46 AM

Whitlock thinks RG3's speed is a curse

Excellent article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/R...nalysis-022712

Quote:

My professors at Ball State warned me that my good looks, perfectly sculpted body and high intellect might impede my career as a journalist. They feared my seemingly endless physical and intellectual gifts would prevent me from developing a singular focus.

I have similar fears when assessing Robert Griffin III’s NFL prospects. Abundant talent can be a curse.

The biggest news of the NFL Combine was RG3’s blazing 40-yard dash time. He covered 40 yards like a shutdown corner, clocking a 4.41. The instant-Twitter analysis of NFL experts was that Griffin’s show of speed increased the value of the Rams’ pick, the one right after the pick the Colts are expected to use on Stanford QB Andrew Luck.

In my opinion, Griffin’s speed doesn’t enhance his draft stock. It damages it.

I am not a Robert Griffin hater. I love RG3. In all likelihood, he will be my favorite NFL player next season. He could quickly become my favorite active athlete, ahead of Tiger Woods, Ray Lewis and Jeff George (has yet to file his retirement paperwork).

But I’m worried about Griffin. He’s blessed with too many tools. Oftentimes, the greatest athletes are physically limited, which strengthens their focus. Bill Russell could never match Wilt Chamberlain’s size and limitless athleticism. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson weren’t the greatest leapers or the quickest on their feet.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are relatively immobile. They play from the pocket because they have no choice. They mastered the art of playing from the pocket because they had no other choice.

NFL games are won most consistently by quarterbacks who play from the pocket. If a quarterback leaves the pocket, he’s going to get hit. If a quarterback gets hit regularly, he’s going to get hurt. If a franchise quarterback gets injured, his team has little chance of winning the Super Bowl.

NFL teams are looking for the next Manning or Brady. Or the next Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger. A little mobility is good, especially if the quarterback moves in the pocket in an effort to throw downfield. Rodgers and Big Ben are terrific at moving to throw. Is that how Griffin will use his athleticism?

Or does Griffin have so much speed that he’ll channel Michael Vick?

Vick had too much talent early in his career. The game was too easy. The temptation to fix problems with his feet was too great for him to master QB play from the pocket. He’s just now attempting to play the game from the pocket. Even now, he gives in to his blazing speed and exits the pocket prematurely.

OK, we know RG3 is vastly different from the young Michael Vick. But it took Donovan McNabb a few years to commit to pocket play. Steve Young had to sit behind Joe Montana in San Francisco to learn to fully appreciate the pocket.

NFL fans are going to want to see Griffin run. When you’re faster than everyone on the field, it makes sense to run. Griffin is going to be fighting common sense and his natural instincts.

And what if he gets paired with the wrong head coach, a coach who is looking for a quick-fix rather than Griffin’s long-term success?

There is talk that the Redskins might want to move up in the draft to get RG3. Mike Shanahan is under pressure in Washington. He needs to win right away to ease the public pressure and prevent Daniel Snyder from firing him. Shanahan could play Griffin as a rookie and allow him to run because his legs might produce eight or nine victories quicker than his arm.

All coaches prefer to win now. It’s the only way to guarantee another season. Is there a proven, confident coach in a stable organization willing to properly support Griffin’s development?

Environment and fit are the keys to Griffin’s success. That’s why Luck is the better prospect. Luck is extremely gifted, but he won’t be tempted to outrun James Harrison or Terrell Suggs. The only way for Luck to consistently avoid big hits will be with quick reads and a quicker release. He’ll be forced to play QB the “right” way.

That is not to say Luck will be a better NFL quarterback than Griffin. My money is on Griffin being the second coming of Steve Young. But I’m just a fan. It won’t be my job to teach him to shy away from his God-given talent.

WhiteWhale 03-01-2012 05:20 AM

First and foremost... Andrew Luck is pretty goddamn fast. I'm not sure Whitlock realizes that.

He's got a good point about QB's and speed, but I don't think Griffin is gonna get the Randall Cunningham treatment. The falcons actually tried pretty hard to make Vick a legit QB. He just didn't put in the work. Even Vick himself has admitted this.

I think, at times, athletic QB's have a running mentality simply because they can have that. A human's strongest emotion is the avoidance of pain For slower QB's the way to avoid pain is to read the defense really fast and get rid of the ball to the open guy. Running isn't even an option. For guys who can move... it is an option. They don't develop the tools of a QB as naturally. It takes more discipline because they have that option.

I think Griffin has the mental make up to do what many athletic QB's have failed at.

BigMeatballDave 03-01-2012 05:40 AM

I think Whitlocks fat ass is a curse.

TheGuardian 03-01-2012 06:52 AM

I agree with him. A little mobility is good. But "run around" quarterbacks have never won shit in terms of NFL championships. You have to win from the pocket. That's not even debatable.

Rasputin 03-01-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8409418)
I agree with him. A little mobility is good. But "run around" quarterbacks have never won shit in terms of NFL championships. You have to win from the pocket. That's not even debatable.

Steve Young says "what? "

beach tribe 03-01-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 8409420)

Steve Young is, I believe, the 2nd or 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history.

penguinz 03-01-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

:spock:

TheGuardian 03-01-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

I knew someone would bring up Steve Young.

1. There is always going to be an exception to every rule. But Steve Young was just very mobile, he wasn't a run around QB like RGIII is. Mike Vick, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, Vince Young, etc. None of these guys ever won a championship.

2. Steve Young could win from the pocket and did.

3. Run around QB's don't win championships.

It's not really even a debate. Someone can try, but list me the last 20 SB winning QB's and tell me if they are considered pocket passers or mobile QB's.

Red Dawg 03-01-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Why does everyone call him that? Young had one great running TD.

TheGuardian 03-01-2012 07:34 AM

Here you go, I'll do it for you........

Eli Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Big Ben

Tom Brady

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Kurt Warner

John Elway

Brett Favre

Troy Aikman

Steve Young

Mark Rypien

On that list someone will try to make a case for Ben, but he never rushed for more than 204 yards in a season. He has escapability but Ben gets away from a pass rush and then throws the ball. He doesn't actually run down field much.

Elway didn't win one until he stopped running around and got a running game behind him.

Young is the only one that qualifies but he was throwing for 3000+ yards routinely. And well, he's in the hall of fame.

Point is, you probably aren't going to win a championship with a run around QB. A guy that is mobile that can get out of the pocket and throw downfield is one thing, a Michael Vick clone?

No thanks.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2012 07:37 AM

Young was a scambler, but didnt really run with regularity like Vick did or does. He didnt win anything until he toned down the running and became a better pocket passer anyways.

TheGuardian 03-01-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8409444)
Young was a scambler, but didnt really run with regularity like Vick did or does. He didnt win anything until he toned down the running and became a better pocket passer anyways.

Exactly.

But people on this board have a hard on for drafting ANY quarterback. I mean half the people on this board last year wanted to draft Clausen for the love of god.

MoreLemonPledge 03-01-2012 07:44 AM

So basically we don't want a black quarterback because one has never won a Super Bowl?

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-01-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Not true. What about Elvis GRbac !

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-01-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8409452)
So basically we don't want a black quarterback because one has never won a Super Bowl?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...dies/dougw.jpg