ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gary Gygax 1938-2008 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181137)

Braincase 03-04-2008 02:04 PM

Gary Gygax 1938-2008

Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008) was an American writer and game designer, best known for co-creating the pioneering role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) with Dave Arneson, and co-founding the company Tactical Studies Rules with Don Kaye in 1974. Gygax is generally acknowledged as the father of the role-playing game.[2]

On March 4th, the Associated Press confirmed reports of Gygax's passing that originally were made by Troll Lord Games, a small role playing game company Gygax had been working with.He had been in poor health, suffering multiple strokes and a near-heart attack.

Thanks for creating a fun game, Gary, and giving those of us with anti-social tendencies an opportunity to sit around a table, roll funny-looking dice and interact with each other in an entertaining and sometimes educational fashion.

Fish 03-04-2008 02:06 PM

Quick! Somebody cast Resurrection +5!!

Rain Man 03-04-2008 02:06 PM

Early reports that he was killed by a goblin with a +2 sword, 16 strength, and 18 constitution turned out to be incorrect.

Chiefmanwillcatch 03-04-2008 02:07 PM

Very imaginative person. I read some his books.

Sad to hear it.

Ultra Peanut 03-04-2008 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Being the father of all geek hobbies is a pretty impressive legacy, at least.

Rain Man 03-04-2008 02:15 PM

Front and center, D&Ders. I played D&D religiously for about two or three years in high school. In a notoriously hard dungeon, I managed to keep one character alive the whole time - Malchor, the chaotic evil thief. He was below a 12 in every trait except dexterity (something like 14 - still not great), but he managed to get by on wiles and luck for years in a dungeon where everyone else died at least once.

Chiefnj2 03-04-2008 02:18 PM

Lets all dress up in costume and attend the wake.

siberian khatru 03-04-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 4614861)
Front and center, D&Ders. I played D&D religiously for about two or three years in high school. In a notoriously hard dungeon, I managed to keep one character alive the whole time - Malchor, the chaotic evil thief. He was below a 12 in every trait except dexterity (something like 14 - still not great), but he managed to get by on wiles and luck for years in a dungeon where everyone else died at least once.

No wonder you fit in so well here at ChiefsPlanet.

jspchief 03-04-2008 02:19 PM

I dabbled in it a bit, but never found a large enough group of players to really get anything going.

wilas101 03-04-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 4614861)

I got hold of the basic rulebook when I was like 11. It was downhill from there. Loved that game. For the longest time my brother and I played on our own because we knew nobody else that played..... I'd dm and purposely kill him, he'd get mad, we'd fight and swear never to play again.

Rinse and repeat the next day. :)

Hearing that Gygax died made me rather sad.

This line did make me laugh though:

Quote:

Early reports that he was killed by a goblin with a +2 sword, 16 strength, and 18 constitution turned out to be incorrect.

Adept Havelock 03-04-2008 02:23 PM

RIP, Gary. Thanks for the fun times.

:hmmm:

I think I've still got my original set of rules for "Chainmail" in a box with other books somewhere in the basement. Perhaps I should try to dig them out.

Amnorix 03-04-2008 02:29 PM

That man was directly or indirectly responsible for thousands of hours of enjoyment. AD&D, D&D 3.0, D&D 3.5 most directly, and a fair bit of non-fantasy roleplay games as well.

Currently in a Mutants and Masterminds (superhero) game. Every other Saturday like clockwork with my co-30something-geek-friends.

Amnorix 03-04-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 4614873)
RIP, Gary. Thanks for the fun times.

:hmmm:

I think I've still got my original set of rules for "Chainmail" in a box with other books somewhere in the basement. Perhaps I should try to dig them out.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

Frazod 03-04-2008 02:43 PM

RIP. Thanks for giving me something to do all those weekend nights in high school that I didn't have a date.

And considering that I spent a great deal of high school dating my future ex-wife, in hindsight, I wish I'd played more D&D. :banghead:

The Franchise 03-04-2008 02:58 PM

I played from the ages of 13 to around 19 before I found something else to take over my life. RIP...he'll be missed.