ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Natural gas smell when heat kicks on (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269337)

Silock 01-26-2013 07:32 AM

Natural gas smell when heat kicks on

It comes and goes. I only smell it when the heat first comes on, it lasts for a few moments and then disappears. I don't smell anything near the furnace, but instead in the upstairs living room. I've checked that all the vents are open, and the burners are all working inside the furnace. Air filter is clean and replaced.

What am I missing? Should I just bite the bullet and call an HVAC tech?

Johnny Vegas 01-26-2013 07:40 AM

don't power companies do gas inspections for free? I know mine does. I had to do it when the regulator/meter outside was damaged from my neighbors as they were demo'ing a house. They came fixed it and checked everything until it was safe all for no cost.

Dave Lane 01-26-2013 07:41 AM

Call the gas company tell them you smell gas they will send a tech over asap

EagleRob 01-26-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9352155)
Call the gas company tell them you smell gas they will send a tech over asap

This

Ace Gunner 01-26-2013 07:44 AM

there is an exhaust vent that goes to the roof. you might get up there and check for blockage. more than likely, the problem is within that vent run.

Rambozo 01-26-2013 08:17 AM

Check the ignitor. Turn off the heat and go down and watch it start. Does it take several tries? If so, sometimes you can just clean it with a dollar bill and it will work. There are videos on you tube. I just had this problem.

Silock 01-26-2013 08:21 AM

Igniter is fine. Just watched it. And this time, no smell of gas. Ugh. I'll check the exhaust vent.

Bwana 01-26-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9352186)
Igniter is fine. Just watched it. And this time, no smell of gas. Ugh. I'll check the exhaust vent.

It could be a lot of things. There may be a leak in one of the connecting unions in your gas process line, an exhaust vent issue, or something else.

If you have ANY doubt, call the gas company and tell them you smell gas. They will be out quickly at no charge with a sniffer. I own one that I use for various gas applications at refineries, but that's not going to do you any good being hundreds of miles away. Like I said if you have even the slightest thought there may be a leak, call the gas company.

Chief Roundup 01-26-2013 08:51 AM

If you are smelling it through the heat and A/C vents you probably have a cracked heat exchanger.
You should have a carbon monoxide tester in your home if you heat with gas.

mlyonsd 01-26-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9352220)
It could be a lot of things. There may be a leak in one of the connecting unions in your gas process line, an exhaust vent issue, or something else.

If you have ANY doubt, call the gas company and tell them you smell gas. They will be out quickly at no charge with a sniffer. I own one that I use for various gas applications at refineries, but that's not going to do you any good being hundreds of miles away. Like I said if you have even the slightest thought there may be a leak, call the gas company.

This. Don't **** with it. The gas company wants to know anytime you smell gas.

mlyonsd 01-26-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9352223)
If you are smelling it through the heat and A/C vents you probably have a cracked heat exchanger.
You should have a carbon monoxide tester in your home if you heat with gas.

This too.

Hoover 01-26-2013 09:33 AM

GTFO and call the gas company.

The last thing I'd do is stick my head down by furnace and turn it on and off. Unless you don't mind getting blown up.

I never mess with gas.

gblowfish 01-26-2013 09:35 AM

Invite over all your Raider pals. Give them a pack of Marlboro Reds and a lighter. RUN.

Rasputin 01-26-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9352333)
Invite over all your Raider pals. Give them a pack of Marlboro Reds and a lighter. RUN.

This makes the most logic. :thumb:

Shaid 01-26-2013 10:02 AM

Call someone, don't try to fix something that important on your own. Your life and that of your family are pretty important and not something to **** around with.