ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink New cooking methods ... sous vide (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243228)

mlyonsd 07-02-2018 02:20 PM

Anybody ever done fish?

chiefzilla1501 07-02-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 13613607)
Anybody ever done fish?

Fish tastes terrific. The texture is a little funky and for some it's a turn-off.

Fire Me Boy! 07-02-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13613611)
Fish tastes terrific. The texture is a little funky and for some it's a turn-off.

I do salmon all the time. Love it sous vide.

mlyonsd 07-02-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13613611)

The texture is what I was wondering about. And finishing it.

Fire Me Boy! 07-02-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 13613621)
The texture is what I was wondering about. And finishing it.

The texture becomes soft and succulent, IMO. Finish in a hot pan for a little browning. If there’s skin, crisp it up.

tatorhog 07-06-2018 10:56 AM

I saw this ad for a countertop "robot" called a Suvie. They are doing pre-orders right now. Kind of a cool idea, looks like you can load your food in the morning, it'll keep it cool until the programmed cook time starts. Then its like a sou vide appliance I guess.

I was halfway interested in buying one until I saw the price tag. But anyway, it seemed relevant to this topic, so I thought I would mention it in case anyone wants to be a Guinea pig.

frozenchief 07-06-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 13613607)
Anybody ever done fish?

Fish is fantastic. They were made for sous vide.

Halibut can’t be beat. Salmon comes out perfectly. I take skin on salmon and after they’re finished, I sear the filets, skin side down, for about 1 minute. It crisps the skin so the meat is almost sushi grade but with a crispy, browned skin.

Diver scallops also are ethereal. Put a little butter in the bag and sear them for about 45 seconds a side when finished and serve with lime garlic mayonnaise or bernaise sauce. Shrimp are also phenomenal.

I haven’t done lobster or crab, lobster because I prefe crab and I fail to see why I should eat lobster when I have glorious Alaska seafood fresh and local. Crab is usually sold flash frozen and I don’t feel like shelling the entire dinner. I figure everyone can shell what they want to eat and save me time.

Sorce 02-23-2019 09:58 AM

Looking for advice if anyone has done tri tip. The recipes I'm seeing are either 2 hours or 6 hours. Wondering if anyone has insight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fire Me Boy! 02-23-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14120832)
Looking for advice if anyone has done tri tip. The recipes I'm seeing are either 2 hours or 6 hours. Wondering if anyone has insight.

I did one for a couple hours a while back and it was great.

Great Expectations 02-23-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14120832)

At least an hour for each inch of thickness, but I wouldn’t go over 5.

frozenchief 03-31-2019 06:53 PM

I’ve been tinkering with hanger steak recently. Buttery and rich and full of flavor when done right, which sous vide does.

I put a little anchovy paste on one side - maybe 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon. The anchovy paste adds umami and depth to the meat. Then I add a bit of ground ancho chili pepper, fresh ground pepper and some salt. Let it rest for about 30-60 minutes. I add a few drops of mesquite liquid smoke to the bag. Sous vide for 1-2 hours at 130 degrees. I sear mine in a red hot cast iron pan for about 60-75 seconds a side.

I make a bernaise sauce in which I add some of the juices from the bag. For an easy bearnaise (and hollandaise recipe), see Kenji Lopez-Alt’s book The Food Lab. Actually, just get that book and read his column in general.

I find I like hanger steak better than tri tip or even bone in ribeyes. Right now it’s my favorite cut of beef. My local butcher gets local grass fed beef with no hormones or antibiotics. That makes a difference. Full bodied red wine, sautéed spinach and a baguette and life is good.

Keep on cooking.

Fire Me Boy! 03-31-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 14188878)
I’ve been tinkering with hanger steak recently. Buttery and rich and full of flavor when done right, which sous vide does.

I put a little anchovy paste on one side - maybe 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon. The anchovy paste adds umami and depth to the meat. Then I add a bit of ground ancho chili pepper, fresh ground pepper and some salt. Let it rest for about 30-60 minutes. I add a few drops of mesquite liquid smoke to the bag. Sous vide for 1-2 hours at 130 degrees. I sear mine in a red hot cast iron pan for about 60-75 seconds a side.

I make a bernaise sauce in which I add some of the juices from the bag. For an easy bearnaise (and hollandaise recipe), see Kenji Lopez-Alt’s book The Food Lab. Actually, just get that book and read his column in general.

I find I like hanger steak better than tri tip or even bone in ribeyes. Right now it’s my favorite cut of beef. My local butcher gets local grass fed beef with no hormones or antibiotics. That makes a difference. Full bodied red wine, sautéed spinach and a baguette and life is good.

Keep on cooking.

Sounds awesome.

BryanBusby 03-31-2019 07:51 PM

I finally spent the money on a set up for this

Groves 03-31-2019 08:51 PM

We sous vide our chicken breasts in batches of 10-15lbs. Just pulled a batch, 149F 2hrs. Plastic cooler.

Then a huge chuck roast went in. Will yank it after 18hrs at 155. So yummy.

Our SV has really changed a lot in our kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BryanBusby 03-31-2019 08:54 PM

I bought it mostly to easy reheat food that I smoked, but I also look forward to cooking ontop of reheating