ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone see the Royals-Tigers Brawl? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=18232)

Mi_chief_fan 08-11-2001 05:00 AM

Anyone see the Royals-Tigers Brawl?

Pretty impressive. Mike Sweeney faces a huge fine & long suspension. I wonder what Jeff Weaver said that made Sweeney so mad?

shakesthecat 08-11-2001 06:10 AM

That was AWESOME!

Of all the guys on the Royals.........

My opinion of Sweeney just went WAY up.

Weaver must have called him a heathen.:D

htismaqe 08-11-2001 08:09 AM

Props to Sweeney for busting that pencil neck in the chops...I'd like to know what he said...

Radar Chief 08-11-2001 08:10 AM

So, what happened?:confused:

htismaqe 08-11-2001 08:19 AM

The clip I caught...

The home plate umpire approached the pitcher and said something. He then walked back to the plate. The pitcher yelled something and then Sweeney charged him. Threw his helmet at him, took him down, and started wailing on him. The benches cleared and everybody was fighting. Sweeney and someone else were kicking the **** out of the catcher. The managers were shoving and swinging at each other. It was one of the biggest, baddest baseball fights I've ever seen...

Raiderhater 08-11-2001 08:24 AM

The other guy helping Sweeney with the catcher was Paul Byrd.

I wish I could have seen this, it sounds like a heckuva fight. It is good to finally see some passion and fire from the team. And coming from that aspect of it, I am not all that surprised that it was Sweeney. I am with Shakes on this, my opinion of Sweeney just got even higher.

Bwana 08-11-2001 08:35 AM

Sounds like a new sport.....basebrawl. :D

Radar Chief 08-11-2001 08:37 AM

Sounds like we need a rematch in UFC's Octagon.

One Arrowhead Dave 08-11-2001 09:49 AM

I did not see the ballgame but I saw the battle Royals on the highlights.
I know fighting is not always the answer but kudos to Mike Sweeney. The pitcher was clearly spouting off to Sweeney after he asked the ump to have the rosin bag relocated.
Mike Sweeney got his money's worth.

Mi_chief_fan 08-11-2001 11:01 AM

Bearing a particular fondness to neither team,

My opinion of Sweeney went down, while still viewing Weaver a punk. He waited until the guy turned his back to him, then charged the mound. Of course, when you have apunk, piece of $hit manager like Tony Muser, it's bound to rub off on you're players sooner or later.

I would never have expected Sweeney to charge a man like that, especially with his back turned.

kcred 08-11-2001 12:36 PM

Well at least it was a fight. Most of the time, they all gather around hold each other back, run their mouth, etc. This was a donnybrook. MI Fan, Weaver had clearly turned around in time to see Sweeney charging, he may not have had time to get em up, but was probably to surprised to see it in the first place. I wish the Royals showed more energy on the field playing baseball, than fighting myself, but hey we got the lead on Sportscenter. Besides Mike probably needs 7 to 10 days off.

Tomahawk 11 08-11-2001 01:26 PM

I disagree MICHIEF. Sweeney started running at him right when Weaver said that. The umpire slowed Sweeney up (a very little). By the time Sweeney threw his helmet Weaver was totally back peddling trying to get away. Sweeney beat his butt blue fair and square and it was cool and well deserved. Regardless... I bet Weaver thinks twice before messing with Sweeney again.

I also like the fact that afterwards Sweemey took full responsibility for what he did and said that he was "embarassed that it had to happen". He then said that whatever the punishment handed down from the league he would "honor it". Spoken like a "True Gentleman". That is called integrity and is something that is totally lacking in all of professional sports IMO.

I would also like to see that kind of "fire" in the Royals game. Maybe next year, doubt it though.:(

Nelson Muntz 08-11-2001 02:16 PM

oh hell yes dave stewart could take him. That stare of his... wow. very intimidating.

does anyone remember the fight where some guy charged nolan ryan and nolan got him in a headlock and just went to town?

Tomahawk 11 08-11-2001 02:18 PM

It was Robin Ventura that charged Ryan. Ryan whipped his A**!! That was a good fight too!

Nelson Muntz 08-11-2001 02:29 PM

i couldn't remember who it was, but i knew he got his *** whipped and handed to him like a little school boy