ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smiths accuracy wowing fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275091)

BossChief 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860378)
isnt this article pointing out the same results though?

accurate, taking care of the ball, works the short to intermediate game, etc?

that's Alex's game, drop back 20 times in a game take 4 sacks complete 17 passes score a couple touchdowns, probably wont lead the team from behind to win a game, etc.

That's what he does, he's like a rich mans Damon Huard, very poor, poor, homeless man's Trent Green. Somewhere in the middle, good enough skillset for this team

It's a real shame that pressure effects Alexs game so much.

I say that because I went to every training camp that Trent Green was our quarterback of and Alex Smith is really close in terms of accuracy and the whole package.

But, of course, the real bullets weren't flying. That's when Alex seems to struggle the most...under any pressure.

keg in kc 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9860393)
Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, and LeSean McCoy are pretty damn good RBs.

And all of them were similar style backs to Charles. We've already seen exactly what he does with back like Jamaal.

Strongside 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Smith definitely has the best snap count. Sounds like a grown ass man up there compared to Cassel. That's what I took from attending camp.

BlackHelicopters 08-05-2013 04:07 PM

How did J Baldwin do?

chiefzilla1501 08-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9860356)
Smith was the best QB at camp. I said this multiple times.

He was sharp and crisp working the middle of the field and he threw it 30-50 yards downfield more than I thought he would. His passes were accurate and that will absolutely make a big difference from last year.

But watching him throw and then seeing Bray throw a few minutes later makes it easy to see his limitations.

I absolutely think Alex can have a year similar to Cassels 2010.

Well... The Cassel offense was largely R2P2. Cassel's performance that year was grossly overrated, as he lacked the accuracy to hit any of his targets. I'm not an Alex Smith fan, but I think if the Chiefs ran the 2010 offense with Alex Smith instead of Cassel, that would have been a significantly better football team.

Which is encouraging and deflating at the same time. It means Smith could easily lead an efficient offense that we haven't seen in years. It also means we could settle even if he's not the guy for a Super Bowl.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9860398)
Smith definitely has the best snap count. Sounds like a grown ass man up there compared to Cassel. That's what I took from attending camp.

Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

Strongside 08-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9860404)
Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

Too Skinny/Lincoln

RealSNR 08-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9860404)
Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

"North Platte! North Platte!"

-Buttchin

DJ's left nut 08-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9860262)
It's nice to hear that Alex Smith is picking up right where he left off in San Fran. It's also no surprise that people continue to dismis his effort.

Yet if he had been 10 for 20 with 3 INT's, the haters would be out in full force.

No shit.

Smith's a damn accurate passer, especially when he has time to throw.

The problem was that a lot of people dug their heels in hard on this guy vs. a Rookie and have absolutely refused to retreat from their initial positions on him.

I started out pretty damn opposed to Smith but once the deal was made, I did a hell of a lot more homework on him and the guy's a good QB. He's going to be very good in the Reid offense.

And every time he does something outstanding, for many it will be attributable to someone else or "what he's supposed to be doing".

MMXcalibur 08-05-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9860227)
Stopped reading

FYP

Sick of training camp legends.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-05-2013 04:14 PM

I just wonder if Manziel will still be on the board for the 32 pick .

duncan_idaho 08-05-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9860323)
His last two seasons disprove this notion.

His last two seasons disprove those questions, Dane? Because those are the questions I continually saw 49ers fans asking over the past two years. They're the questions that have often popped up when all-22 film was broken down.

If he was aggressive enough with the ball the past two seasons, why was there so much talk early from Andy Reid about getting him to be more aggressive with the football?

BossChief 08-05-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9860413)
No shit.

Smith's a damn accurate passer, especially when he has time to throw.

The problem was that a lot of people dug their heels in hard on this guy vs. a Rookie and have absolutely refused to retreat from their initial positions on him.

I started out pretty damn opposed to Smith but once the deal was made, I did a hell of a lot more homework on him and the guy's a good QB. He's going to be very good in the Reid offense.

And every time he does something outstanding, for many it will be attributable to someone else or "what he's supposed to be doing".

What days were you in st joes?

What did you see from Bray?

Eleazar 08-05-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9860416)
I just wonder if Manziel will still be on the board for the 32 pick .

If only Tebow was still available.

Kaepernick 08-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9860356)
Smith was the best QB at camp. I said this multiple times.

He was sharp and crisp working the middle of the field and he threw it 30-50 yards downfield more than I thought he would. His passes were accurate and that will absolutely make a big difference from last year.

But watching him throw and then seeing Bray throw a few minutes later makes it easy to see his limitations.

I absolutely think Alex can have a year similar to Cassels 2010.

Alex can make the 20 yard throws when he is WILLING to do so. I never said he "couldn't throw", I said he "wouldn't throw". In SF he always seemed to read from short to long. On some deep patterns with Vernon Davis, that would often be the 1st read and when they connected, it was heaven -- but all too often, Alex read from short to long, taking what he could short without evaluating what was available long.

If Alex could ever overcome that game day caution of fearing an INT and just go out and attack DBs by throwing into windows, I think he would be OK. It seems to be mental with Alex, rather than limited by his physical skills.

In SF, he just never showed that attacking mentality, willing to challenge the secondary. With the one exception being the Saints Divisional win in 2011, when Alex had his back against the wall and said "screw it" and just ATTACKED.

The sad thing is, he showed some of that in 2006, his sophomore year, the year before his severe shoulder injury. Since recovering from the shoulder, he just doesn't want to attack. He wants to play it safe as Harbaugh beat into him.

He has the skill, he just limits himself by playing too timidly. It doesn't help that his arm strength does allow DBs to close on the ball on deep passes. But it is not like he has a noodle arm either.