ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smiths accuracy wowing fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275091)

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-05-2013 02:59 PM

Alex Smiths accuracy wowing fans

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...a-a4b423d11a12

Alex Smith's Accuracy Sparks Chiefs Practice
Posted 1 hour ago

Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider

KCChiefs.com

Email @KCChiefs_Reid
aaKansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith wowed the crowd with pinpoint throws

Kansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith didn't care that the skies were again overcast during practice on Monday; likely because his accurate throws would've outshined the sun, had it made an appearance.

Smith was on-point, nearly perfect, unofficially completing 17 of 20 passes for three TDs during the roughly two-and-a-half hour practice.

"It’s a reflection of the group,” Smith said. “O-line was great today; it starts with them. They did a good job communicating, especially in the blitz period, third down, everybody was on the same page and then there were guys making plays outside. We got off to a good start but really, I think the spark came from the guys up-front."

Among the many pass-catchers Smith connected with on Monday, Chiefs TE Anthony Fasano continues to play at a very-high level. Smith threw to Fasano three-straight times, late in practice, including one TD.

"He's such a dependable guy, so reliable," Smith said of Fasano. "He has such a great knowledge of the game, a great feel for it, defenses and how they’re playing him and he uses his body so well. He continues to make tough catches. He’s what you’re looking for in a TE, that reliable guy that continues to be open, time after time."

Another of Smith's targets was Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe, whose best catch on Monday was a one-handed grab in 7-on-7s.

"That’s just him making me look good," Smith said. "There’s not much to it. I threw it up there and let him do the rest."

Bowe described the play from a different perspective.

"No, man," Bowe said of Smith's pass. "He put the ball right on the outside; he saw the inside leverage, and our job is to catch the ball; it happened to be a one-handed catch, but it was a great pass by Alex."

Bowe also shared how he's feeling just days away from the team's first preseason game of the year.

"I’m feeling good,” Bowe said. "We’re going against the best every day at practice, so when we get to the games, we will be ready."

Following Smith, Chiefs QB Chase Daniel stepped in Monday and continues to move the ball effectively, highlighted by his completion to a determined Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki on a third-down play in the red zone.

"Chase did a great job of getting the ball out quick," Moeaki said. "I was just trying to get the ball vertical and it was a third-down play, so getting the first down in the red zone, that’s huge. We as a TE group feel that’s where our number should be called; we’re just trying to help the team score."

Later in 11-on-11s, Chiefs QB Ricky Stanzi closed out the drill with a beauty of a throw for a TD to Chiefs rookie WR Frankie Hammond Jr.

"It was a great throw by Ricky,” Hammond Jr. said. "I kind of pinned the guy inside and he just made a great throw and I went up and got it."

Like the other Chiefs rookies, Hammond Jr. is ready and waiting for his opportunity to shine on Friday night.

"Definitely,” Hammond Jr said. "It’s just ‘lay it out all on the table’; you’ll only get so many opportunities in these preseason games, so when we get out there, we have to make the most of them and go out there and play hard."

The team played hard yet again today, which caught the eye of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid.

"Good work today," coach Reid said.

"This is our fifth day in a row of full contact and going. This is our longest stretch; we’ll have another day tomorrow. So, the guys pushed through a big red zone day today, big 3RD-and-long day today. I thought they traded back and forth, challenging each other and working hard.”

Part of the hard work paid off for the defense in 11-on-11s, when Chiefs DB Otha Foster III was in the right place at the right time for his pick-six INT.

"I was playing free," Foster III said. "The guy dragged across and the QB threw it to him, bounced off his shoulder and landed in my hands. We were going full contact, all the way, tackling to the ground and that’s why I ran it all the way back."

Foster hopes to carry the defensive momentum with him into Friday's road game against the Saints.

"I feel good about that because it’s close to my hometown in Louisiana," he said. "I’m going to have a lot of family there and they love the Saints, except when I’m playing; they’ll be on my side (on) Friday.”

The Chiefs return to the practice field tomorrow, before a day off on Wednesday, travel day to New Orleans on Thursday and then, the real fun begins Friday night at 7:00 PM CDT, from the Mercedes-Benz

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2013 03:00 PM

Yay, training camp.

Hoover 08-05-2013 03:00 PM

Stopped reading at "Reid Ferrin Chiefs Insider"

KC Dan 08-05-2013 03:01 PM

WTH is a Chiefs insider going to say, "Smith can't hit the broad side of a barn", geez......

keg in kc 08-05-2013 03:01 PM

There you go, Coogs.

siberian khatru 08-05-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9860227)
Stopped reading at "Reid Ferrin Chiefs Insider"

Yep.

And I'm not one to dismiss good news about Smith. But when it comes from a Chiefs employee ...

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 9860228)
WTH is a Chiefs insider going to say, "Smith can't hit the broad side of a barn", geez......

17 for 20 with 3 TDs against the best Defense in the NFL. He's spot on.

loochy 08-05-2013 03:04 PM

well i hope he can do it with a giant linebacker sprinting right at him

Setsuna 08-05-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9860236)
17 for 20 with 3 TDs against the best Defense in the NFL. He's spot on.

Surely you jest.

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 03:06 PM

there must be some mistake

Fish 08-05-2013 03:07 PM

Teammate strokefest. Great practice everybody was great what a great day!

Mr. Laz 08-05-2013 03:08 PM

you can't believe anything you hear right now, good or bad

everyone has an agenda

just have to wait and see for ourselves

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-05-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9860244)
Surely you jest.

Nope . 17 for 20 ,3 tDs.

Mav 08-05-2013 03:09 PM

Eff the stats. Eff everything else in this article. Do you see how self centered, and attention whoring Alex Smith is? Takes all the credit. Pfff, what a douche bag......

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9860254)
Nope . 17 for 20 ,3 tDs.

:clap:

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:10 PM

It's nice to hear that Alex Smith is picking up right where he left off in San Fran. It's also no surprise that people continue to dismis his effort.

Yet if he had been 10 for 20 with 3 INT's, the haters would be out in full force.

ShowtimeSBMVP 08-05-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9860262)
It's nice to hear that Alex Smith is picking up right where he left off in San Fran. It's also no surprise that people continue to dismis his effort.

Yet if he had been 10 for 20 with 3 INT's, the haters would be out in full force.

So true.

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 03:11 PM

depends -- did he do it with pads on ROFL

Lex Luthor 08-05-2013 03:13 PM

It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant.

Sassy Squatch 08-05-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Hope it is the case.I think we've all learned by now to take TC with a grain of salt but it certainly doesn't hurt to be cautiously optimistic.

KC Dan 08-05-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9860269)
It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant.

Not a fan of Geno and hope for all the best with Smith, but any great TC personnel report coming from the Chiefs has to be ignored.

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 03:18 PM

friday night cannot come soon enough

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-05-2013 03:19 PM

If you have been watching the player interviews like I have on KCchiefs.com the thing that makes me excited is how EVERY player interviewed is excited and seems to be Having fun now. Yes, it's their job to say the right things but you can really sense the feeling that they FEEL that they are going to have a great team this year. It's a whole different attitude from the Herm,Pioli,Crennel eras.

kcxiv 08-05-2013 03:19 PM

We always heard Matt Cassel sucked all the time so I guess this is better lol

BigCatDaddy 08-05-2013 03:20 PM

Is Reid Ferrin a pen name for Rufus Dawes?

RealSNR 08-05-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9860269)

Can't sleep the Geno ball washers will get me

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s2/4...red_kids_1.jpg

keg in kc 08-05-2013 03:23 PM

Man, so many people getting butthurt over how other people react to stuff. Weird.

Jakemall 08-05-2013 03:23 PM

Cue Clay sighting in 3...2...1

mcaj22 08-05-2013 03:23 PM

it's not always going to be clean though

20 drop backs with Fisher as his RT I bet you 4 of them are sacks.

RealSNR 08-05-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860295)

Four of them will be blown protections. Maybe ONE of them will be a sack.

What you're saying right now is that in a full season of hundreds of dropbacks, Eric Fisher will allow a billion sacks.

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9860298)
Four of them will be blown protections. Maybe ONE of them will be a sack.

What you're saying right now is that in a full season of hundreds of dropbacks, Eric Fisher will allow a billion sacks.

that's reasonable. for this board.

duncan_idaho 08-05-2013 03:32 PM

I have never questioned Alex Smith's accuracy or ability to be an upgrade from Matt Cassel. This report doesn't surprise me in the least (right down to the awful writing from KCChiefs.com).

The test will be how Smith performs once the lights are on and the games matter. Will he make the TOUGH throws that you have to make to win games against good teams with strong defenses? Will he be more aggressive with the ball? Will he stay in the pocket more and scramble less at the first sign of trouble?

Those are the questions I want answers to, though I fear I know them already.

ChiTown 08-05-2013 03:33 PM

Negro, Please!

Mr. Laz 08-05-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9860287)
Can't sleep the Geno ball washers will get me[/IMG]

at least you know who you are

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 9860274)
Not a fan of Geno and hope for all the best with Smith, but any great TC personnel report coming from the Chiefs has to be ignored.

Why is 17-20 with 3TD's a stat that needs to be "ignored"?

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9860311)
The test will be how Smith performs once the lights are on and the games matter. Will he make the TOUGH throws that you have to make to win games against good teams with strong defenses? Will he be more aggressive with the ball? Will he stay in the pocket more and scramble less at the first sign of trouble?

His last two seasons disprove this notion.

KC Dan 08-05-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9860318)
Why is 17-20 with 3TD's a stat that needs to be "ignored"?

Do it against the donkey's during the regular season and I'm with you. Smith has proved nothing as a Chief yet. I am behind him and hope he kicks azz and takes names but this is a whole new ballgame in KC and for Smith. Gotta see it live and in games that mean something

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9860311)
I have never questioned Alex Smith's accuracy or ability to be an upgrade from Matt Cassel. This report doesn't surprise me in the least (right down to the awful writing from KCChiefs.com).

AS is known for efficient passing, if he can get confident within this system, it's going to be good for the Chiefs.

they already have Jamaal & Bowe, two guys that are playmakers when they get their hands on the ball.

AS is not spectacular, but he can really motor and in today's game -- Reid's offense, especially, AS could really excel because he throws very well on the move.

When you combine that agility at QB with the pistol offense and Jamaal's RB skills, it is going to be tricky. Jamaal should really tear it up in this offense.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860295)

LMAO You don't have the first damn clue.

Because he struggled early on, you have your panties in a twist.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9860314)
Negro, Please!

we are going to need your playbook and for you to clean out your locker

saphojunkie 08-05-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9860230)
Yep.

And I'm not one to dismiss good news about Smith. But when it comes from a Chiefs employee ...

This and this and this and this.

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 9860333)
Do it against the donkey's during the regular season and I'm with you. Smith has proved nothing as a Chief yet. I am behind him and hope he kicks azz and takes names but this is a whole new ballgame in KC and for Smith. Gotta see it live and in games that mean something

I can understand wanting to see him against another football team but it's silly to dismiss his performance in training camp. The time will come when we'll all get to see him.

Furthermore, reports like this sure as ****ing shit beat the crap out of the Matt Cassel reports over the years.

mcaj22 08-05-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9860337)
LMAO You don't have the first damn clue.

Because he struggled early on, you have your panties in a twist.

so you dont think Alex Smith is going to take 40+ sacks this year?

he took 40+ with an offensive line that has 4 pro bowlers on it, hes taking 40 here whether you like it or not

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9860346)
This and this and this and this.

So the employee is lying about his performance today?

Sassy Squatch 08-05-2013 03:46 PM

Fisher is playing with both hands injured isn't he?

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860349)

If he wins ballgames, who cares? Rodgers took 51 last year.

Smith has more and better weapons in KC than he ever did in SF, so why worry about something that hasn't even occurred yet?

BossChief 08-05-2013 03:48 PM

Smith was the best QB at camp. I said this multiple times.

He was sharp and crisp working the middle of the field and he threw it 30-50 yards downfield more than I thought he would. His passes were accurate and that will absolutely make a big difference from last year.

But watching him throw and then seeing Bray throw a few minutes later makes it easy to see his limitations.

I absolutely think Alex can have a year similar to Cassels 2010.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860349)

he took 40+ with an offensive line that has 4 pro bowlers on it, hes taking 40 here whether you like it or not

In 2010, Cassel was only sacked 26 times. He was sacked 42 in 09 and 47 in 08 in NE.

Different situations tend to change things.

mcaj22 08-05-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9860357)
In 2010, Cassel was only sacked 26 times. He was sacked 42 in 09 and 47 in 08 in NE.

Different situations tend to change things.

that's your defense, plucking 2010 Matt Cassel sacks

wow lol

DaneMcCloud 08-05-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9860356)

He was sharp and crisp working the middle of the field and he threw it 30-50 yards downfield more than I thought he would. His passes were accurate and that will absolutely make a big difference from last year.

But watching him throw and then seeing Bray throw a few minutes later makes it easy to see his limitations.

Nice!

If Bray becomes the QBOTF, nothing would be sweeter.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860361)

wow lol

It's an example, dipshit.

mcaj22 08-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9860366)
It's an example, dipshit.

and an awful one at that, idiot

Pasta Little Brioni 08-05-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860361)

wow lol

Different schemes lead to different results.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-05-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860368)

Not at all. They were all different schemes. Weis emphasized on getting rid of the football and that boob Haley ran him offf.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860368)

The point is, jack ass, if Cassel was able to improve on that, so can Smith.

mcaj22 08-05-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9860373)
Different schemes lead to different results.

isnt this article pointing out the same results though?

accurate, taking care of the ball, works the short to intermediate game, etc?

that's Alex's game, drop back 20 times in a game take 4 sacks complete 17 passes score a couple touchdowns, probably wont lead the team from behind to win a game, etc.

That's what he does, he's like a rich mans Damon Huard, very poor, poor, homeless man's Trent Green. Somewhere in the middle, good enough skillset for this team

O.city 08-05-2013 03:57 PM

Cassel was in a run first offense. Reid's system is totally different than smith has been in the last two years.

Hopefully he can keep his efficiency the same.

KC Dan 08-05-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9860348)
Furthermore, reports like this sure as ****ing shit beat the crap out of the Matt Cassel reports over the years.

True dat!

Ace Gunner 08-05-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9860379)
Cassel was in a run first offense. Reid's system is totally different than smith has been in the last two years.

Hopefully he can keep his efficiency the same.

Reid never coached a world beater RB. They'll be as balanced as any.

chiefzilla1501 08-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9860384)
Reid never coached a world beater RB. They'll be as balanced as any.

Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, and LeSean McCoy are pretty damn good RBs. And it's not like Jamaal Charles was going to get over 300 carries anyway, regardless of coach. It's going to be heavy pass-first, but we have to be careful about what that means. There will be plenty of quick dumps and screens that are the same thing as a run, even though it counts as a pass.

BossChief 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9860378)
isnt this article pointing out the same results though?

accurate, taking care of the ball, works the short to intermediate game, etc?

that's Alex's game, drop back 20 times in a game take 4 sacks complete 17 passes score a couple touchdowns, probably wont lead the team from behind to win a game, etc.

That's what he does, he's like a rich mans Damon Huard, very poor, poor, homeless man's Trent Green. Somewhere in the middle, good enough skillset for this team

It's a real shame that pressure effects Alexs game so much.

I say that because I went to every training camp that Trent Green was our quarterback of and Alex Smith is really close in terms of accuracy and the whole package.

But, of course, the real bullets weren't flying. That's when Alex seems to struggle the most...under any pressure.

keg in kc 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9860393)
Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, and LeSean McCoy are pretty damn good RBs.

And all of them were similar style backs to Charles. We've already seen exactly what he does with back like Jamaal.

Strongside 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

Smith definitely has the best snap count. Sounds like a grown ass man up there compared to Cassel. That's what I took from attending camp.

BlackHelicopters 08-05-2013 04:07 PM

How did J Baldwin do?

chiefzilla1501 08-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Well... The Cassel offense was largely R2P2. Cassel's performance that year was grossly overrated, as he lacked the accuracy to hit any of his targets. I'm not an Alex Smith fan, but I think if the Chiefs ran the 2010 offense with Alex Smith instead of Cassel, that would have been a significantly better football team.

Which is encouraging and deflating at the same time. It means Smith could easily lead an efficient offense that we haven't seen in years. It also means we could settle even if he's not the guy for a Super Bowl.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9860398)
Smith definitely has the best snap count. Sounds like a grown ass man up there compared to Cassel. That's what I took from attending camp.

Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

Strongside 08-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9860404)
Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

Too Skinny/Lincoln

RealSNR 08-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9860404)
Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

"North Platte! North Platte!"

-Buttchin

DJ's left nut 08-05-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

No shit.

Smith's a damn accurate passer, especially when he has time to throw.

The problem was that a lot of people dug their heels in hard on this guy vs. a Rookie and have absolutely refused to retreat from their initial positions on him.

I started out pretty damn opposed to Smith but once the deal was made, I did a hell of a lot more homework on him and the guy's a good QB. He's going to be very good in the Reid offense.

And every time he does something outstanding, for many it will be attributable to someone else or "what he's supposed to be doing".

MMXcalibur 08-05-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9860227)
Stopped reading

FYP

Sick of training camp legends.

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-05-2013 04:14 PM

I just wonder if Manziel will still be on the board for the 32 pick .

duncan_idaho 08-05-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9860323)
His last two seasons disprove this notion.

His last two seasons disprove those questions, Dane? Because those are the questions I continually saw 49ers fans asking over the past two years. They're the questions that have often popped up when all-22 film was broken down.

If he was aggressive enough with the ball the past two seasons, why was there so much talk early from Andy Reid about getting him to be more aggressive with the football?

BossChief 08-05-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9860413)
No shit.

The problem was that a lot of people dug their heels in hard on this guy vs. a Rookie and have absolutely refused to retreat from their initial positions on him.

I started out pretty damn opposed to Smith but once the deal was made, I did a hell of a lot more homework on him and the guy's a good QB. He's going to be very good in the Reid offense.

And every time he does something outstanding, for many it will be attributable to someone else or "what he's supposed to be doing".

What days were you in st joes?

What did you see from Bray?

Eleazar 08-05-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9860416)
I just wonder if Manziel will still be on the board for the 32 pick .

If only Tebow was still available.

Kaepernick 08-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Alex can make the 20 yard throws when he is WILLING to do so. I never said he "couldn't throw", I said he "wouldn't throw". In SF he always seemed to read from short to long. On some deep patterns with Vernon Davis, that would often be the 1st read and when they connected, it was heaven -- but all too often, Alex read from short to long, taking what he could short without evaluating what was available long.

If Alex could ever overcome that game day caution of fearing an INT and just go out and attack DBs by throwing into windows, I think he would be OK. It seems to be mental with Alex, rather than limited by his physical skills.

In SF, he just never showed that attacking mentality, willing to challenge the secondary. With the one exception being the Saints Divisional win in 2011, when Alex had his back against the wall and said "screw it" and just ATTACKED.

The sad thing is, he showed some of that in 2006, his sophomore year, the year before his severe shoulder injury. Since recovering from the shoulder, he just doesn't want to attack. He wants to play it safe as Harbaugh beat into him.

He has the skill, he just limits himself by playing too timidly. It doesn't help that his arm strength does allow DBs to close on the ball on deep passes. But it is not like he has a noodle arm either.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-05-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9860413)
No shit.

PFF agrees with DJnut.

Jakemall 08-05-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9860395)
It's a real shame that pressure effects Alexs game so much.

I say that because I went to every training camp that Trent Green was our quarterback of and Alex Smith is really close in terms of accuracy and the whole package.

But, of course, the real bullets weren't flying. That's when Alex seems to struggle the most...under any pressure.

Not entirely true. As I recall, Alex was one of the better QBs statistically against the blitz. It was on non-blitz pressure (meaning someone let their guy through) that he really suffered. But I think most Qbs do.

I'd have to dig for the actual stats.

Hammock Parties 08-05-2013 04:27 PM

kcchiefs.com

DJ's left nut 08-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9860423)
What days were you in st joes?

What did you see from Bray?

I was only there on Monday last week for the ST holder breakfast, etc...

I posted about 100 posts back that I was actually extremely disappointed by him. As you've noted, the arm talent was apparent and flashed on occasion, but his feet were bad and his decision making seemed, for lack of a better word, disinterested.

In his defense, the O-Line got abused that day. I mean it was a sack on every third play. It was also raining off and on so the conditions were less than ideal.

But on that day, with cruddy playing conditions and a bad line in front of him, he looked every bit the raw rookie we heard about. Perhaps he's shaking off the nerves, but Smith and Daniel (especially Smith) just looked a hell of a lot more composed out there in the muck and with the pocket imploding every time he dropped back.

Every other report I've read on him has been different from mine, though. I'm wondering if I wasn't being too hard on him or if perhaps the conditions/line/nerves that day really held him back. Maybe it was just a shitty day for him. I just read all these glowing reports and say "Man, where the !@#$ was that guy on Monday" because he was probably the guy I was most excited to go watch.

Though you're the first guy to see what I saw and say that Smith was the best QB out there. He really was head and shoulders above Daniel and Bray. Bray showed some skills that suggest he's a legitimate QBOTF and standing behind the line from so close really opened my eyes to how critical vision is for a QB; Bray's height is a massive asset. But I really did think Smith look composed and professional as hell. And when he and Reid were talking, it was almost collaborative rather than Reid dictating. I hate getting into the intangibles discussions, but Smith sure seemed to be in command out there.

DJ's left nut 08-05-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9860425)
Alex can make the 20 yard throws when he is WILLING to do so. I never said he "couldn't throw", I said he "wouldn't throw". In SF he always seemed to read from short to long. On some deep patterns with Vernon Davis, that would often be the 1st read and when they connected, it was heaven -- but all too often, Alex read from short to long, taking what he could short without evaluating what was available long.

If Alex could ever overcome that game day caution of fearing an INT and just go out and attack DBs by throwing into windows, I think he would be OK. It seems to be mental with Alex, rather than limited by his physical skills.

In SF, he just never showed that attacking mentality, willing to challenge the secondary. With the one exception being the Saints Divisional win in 2011, when Alex had his back against the wall and said "screw it" and just ATTACKED.

The sad thing is, he showed some of that in 2006, his sophomore year, the year before his severe shoulder injury. Since recovering from the shoulder, he just doesn't want to attack. He wants to play it safe as Harbaugh beat into him.

He has the skill, he just limits himself by playing too timidly. It doesn't help that his arm strength does allow DBs to close on the ball on deep passes. But it is not like he has a noodle arm either.

The good news is that Reid's offense, theoretically, is built for a QB to read from short to long.

When he ended up with guys like Jackson and a cannon-armed (scattershot) passer in Vick, he opened it up a bit because Jackson refuses to run underneath routes and Vick can't throw short anyway. But given his druthers, I think Reid would prefer an offense that is precisely tailored to Smith's strengths.

We shall soon see...