ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Herm's Dad Gives Great Advice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200118)

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 01-11-2009 02:58 PM

Herm's Dad Gives Great Advice

His father, Herman Edwards Sr., now deceased, was a master sergeant stationed at Fort Ord, California, located on the Monterey Peninsula. His mother, Martha, still lives on the peninsula. The genesis of Herm’s values, beliefs and daily practices stem from these two.

Many of Herm Jr.’s life-learning experiences are the focus of this book. This is not so much of a biography, and yet each person who touched Herm’s life has contributed to his history. Of primary interest is in the vignette about “The Broom.”

Herm tells it this way:

When I was six or seven my job at our house was to sweep up the leaves. Late one November when the leaves had pretty much covered our backyard, I eagerly went about my job to sweep up the leaves. (Remember I said “sweep up” not “rake” since our thirty-by-thirty-feet backyard was cement not grass.)

Anyway, I thought I had done a good job and was proud of that day’s task, so I left the leaves all piled up in the center of our yard and rushed into the house to tell my dad. I said, “Dad, Dad, I’ve got all the leaves swept up in a pile. I want you to see!” My chest was puffed up with pride. My dad, master sergeant that he was and with no extra effort to mount any further military assertiveness, walked down the steps of our back porch and “paraded” about the yard.

“Herm,” he said. “Look, you left some leaves here in this corner.”

I stammered, “But-but-Dad-”

He kept on talking, “And this corner a few more leaves.”

I finally got a chance to speak and said, “But, Dad, there are just a couple-several was more like it-of leaves in those corners.” And then in my young but convincing voice said, “Nobody will notice those leaves way over in that corner.”

Dad never hesitated, and with stern but encouraging words said, “Herm, you gotta get the corners!” He continued with that strong and military commanding voice, “Son, he paused, don’t be afraid of the broom!”

Herm got the message without another word from Dad. The message was that in doing your job, do every detail (the corners) successfully. He learned that “the broom” is just a metaphor for diligence and correctness in achieving peak performance.

Every task he undertook thereafter, from household chores to organizing a pick-up team on the playground to his days as an athlete-everything he did and does to this day-he always thinks of “the broom” to show the way to doing his best.

Incidentally, while Herm always wanted to be an end (now called receivers, wide receiver or wide out) in football, he played “cornerback” throughout high school, college, and into the pros! His father’s words, “You gotta get the corners,” was more than just a metaphor; it became his “ticket” to being a professional athlete and head coach.

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

Herm....don't be afraid of Scott Pioli's broom!

Hammock Parties 01-11-2009 02:59 PM

Sweep Herm right on out of here!

Agent V 01-11-2009 03:03 PM

"Herm, you left some shit on this team. Right over there."

"But - but - but Dad... we're rebuilding."

"And more here... and over here..."

milkman 01-11-2009 03:04 PM

Well, I will give Herman ****ing Edwards credit here.

He appears to have gotten the corners.

But where are the LBs, the DEs, The O-Linemen?

Ebolapox 01-11-2009 03:10 PM

some people on this board are more qualified to be nfl coaches than herm ****ing edwards.

Agent V 01-11-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5380016)
some people on this board are more qualified to be nfl coaches than herm ****ing edwards.

But his dad was in the army and he taught him to sweep leaves! That makes him a good leader!

blueballs 01-11-2009 03:23 PM

The Lion's Club
didn't charge Herm for the broom

MichaelH 01-11-2009 03:30 PM

And I thought he got those blisters from whacking off.