ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Q&A rookie camp day II and some Jackson action (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207462)

LaChapelle 05-09-2009 03:35 PM

Q&A rookie camp day II and some Jackson action

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 5/9
May 09, 2009, 3:46:27 PM

Rookie Mini-Camp

Q: How did it today go?

TODD HALEY: “Today a little more was put in offensively and defensively. It was probably worse than yesterday, which is probably to be expected. Plus, they’re sore since it’s the first real football stuff they’ve done in a while. Most of these guys have kind of been in that combine training mode and this is really the first time they’ve been out there (on the practice field) running around and doing football stuff in quite a while. So, there are some guys feeling sorry for themselves.”

Q: Is conditioning an issue with these guys?

HALEY: “Oh yeah, the whole group. They’ve got a long way to go; they’ve got some catching up to do.”

Q: Is that surprising?

HALEY: “It’s different training for the combine. So many of these guys have been on the tour visiting teams and on planes, being served the big meals. There’s not a lot of training time in there and that’s the trap they can all easily fall into.”

Q: Athletically is Jackson everything you thought he would be just watching him out there?

HALEY: “Yeah, again we had Tyson in here and interviewed him at the combine. We had him here for two days so I pretty much knew what he looked like. He actually lost a few pounds since we saw him which is good. I’m really excited about the player but, again, he’s got a long way to go understanding everything, conditioning-wise, all those things. But as far as two days out there I’m excited about the player.”

Q: Is Magee athletic enough to play that end position in your defense?

HALEY: “Yeah, that was one of the things that was a big positive on Magee. It was his versatility, that he had done both (tackle and end). It remains to be seen, but when we took him we believed he could play either position. We found value in that but he’s come in and been impressive so far athletically.”

Q: You drafted a kicker and kick returner. You and Scott (Pioli) talked about Washington’s ability in special teams. This is intentional, right, to address special teams?

HALEY: “We want competition in as many positions as we can and the kicker was somebody that our special teams coach, Steve Hoffman, had gone and worked out and really liked. I don’t know you know much about him, but Coach Hoffman is one of the few special team coaches that is really a technical teacher. What he’s done for really the last 19 years is teach kickers and punters technique and actually works with them on mechanics.

“He worked him out, tinkered with his approach on some kickoffs and the kid responded. He thought he had a chance to be a real good kicker in the league. We’re excited about the opportunity to bring him in.

“I’ve told everybody here that if you can be a better than average punt and kick returner you’ve got a very good chance to make this team because I don’t know if we have one right now. That’s a great opportunity for somebody, so that’s definitely an area that we went into the draft and off-season knowing that we needed to find somebody.”

Q: Is that what you liked about Lawrence specifically?

HALEY: “No, we think that Lawrence has a chance to be a receiver also - again, the more you can do and the more plays you can play. If you can be a fourth receiver and return all the kicks then that means you’re playing roughly 25 plays a game which is enough to be a game day roster guy. I’m not speculating on whether he can or can’t right now. He’s got a long way to go too.”

Q: Do you see Colin Brown as a project seeing that he played in the spread offense in college?

HALEY: “That’s always the big thing and we’re having to deal with it more and more with the way college is going with so much spread. There are some guys you know you’re going to be raw in some areas: the kid from Baylor was the same way, Jason Smith.

“But Colin Brown is like anybody else: it’s a level playing field and everybody is competing. I’m not looking at him as a developmental or anything right now. He’s big. I’ve been kind of impressed by the way he moves around and carries himself. He’s competing for a starting spot.”

Q: Magee and Jackson worked out together and trained. Were you aware those guys had some relationship prior to drafting them? Would you hope for that?

HALEY: “I would say that the fact that there was a relationship wasn’t a factor in (drafting) either guy. But we had both those players in here for two days, visited with them and in the course of those visits you find out a lot of things. A lot of those guys cross over and are working out together depending upon where they go in the country to do some of that pre-combine work.

“But, to me, it’s just an added bonus. As long as they weren’t fighting the whole time they were there training. It appeared they developed some type of relationship so that’s always good. It helps guys get acclimated and gives them some stability. I just look at it as a bonus.”

Q: Is there more pressure on those two than the others?

HALEY: “Well, there might be more pressure on them because of where they were drafted and the scrutiny that’s going to be on them as opposed to a free agent that nobody really knows about. As I told the whole group of them, I personally don’t care whether you’re a draft pick, a high one, a low one, a free agent, or a tryout guy. I’m very selfish as a coach and am gonna push to play the guys that give the Kansas City Chiefs the best chance to win and that’s the message I delivered to all of them. If there is more pressure on them ‘cause of media scrutiny, well….”

Q: Did you talk to Ryan Succup at all about being this Mr. Irrelevant?

HALEY: “It’s a worry because Mr. Irrelevant has become such a big thing that we just kind of reminded him that he was the last pick in the draft. So, he had his work cut out for him making this team and to try and not to be distracted any more than any of the other players. He has a job to try and win.”

Q: It seems like he has a pretty good attitude.

HALEY: “Yeah, I like his demeanor. That was one of the things that Coach Hoffman really liked about him. He is a pretty calm leveled guy. At that position and with the pressure that ends up being on those kickers that’s a big item. He carries himself well.”

Q: Who are your two quarterbacks out there?

HALEY: “Drew Tate, who is from Iowa two years ago, been in the CFL, been around and Chase Patton from Missouri, who was a backup to the other Chase.”

Q: Physically you must like Chase at 6'3", a prototype for a quarterback.

HALEY: “Yeah, he’s actually 6'4", a big good looking kid, good arm. Both those guys have come into a tough situation and got us through practice. They’re competing well.”

? ?@???A?

Jackson coming up -Q&A with a poop load -will just post the links

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05...n_jackson__59/

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05...lex_magee__59/

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05...lin_brown__59/

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05...an_succop__59/

LaChapelle 05-09-2009 03:42 PM

Jackson

Q&A with DE TYSON JACKSON - 5/9
May 09, 2009, 1:54:50 PM

ROOKIE MINI-CAMP

Q: How is it going thus far?

TYSON JACKSON: “It is going pretty good. I am getting adjusted back to football now. The last three or four months I have been training for the combine. I have been trying to break out of that combine mode and get into football shape. So far, so good.”

Q: Are you starting to feel like a Chief after seeing that jersey?

JACKSON: “Yeah, it feels good. I have been putting on that red jersey on, number 94, and I have been feeling like a Chief ever since then. It is a good experience. I saw Glenn (Dorsey) today and he told me I was looking good in the number 94. I am really liking the situation right now.”

Q: Do you feel pressure knowing they may expect you to come in and make a difference right away?

JACKSON: “It all comes down to football. If I continue preparing the way I am right now, it is just learning the defense and getting the playbook down. I should be okay come the season.”

Q: How different do you think this will be from LSU?

JACKSON: “It is pretty different. They are in a 3-4 mode here compared to at LSU where it was a 4-3. At the end of the day football is football, you have to put your hand in the dirt and come at the offensive lineman. Once I get adjusted to that and get acquainted to what is going on around here, I will be ok.”

Q: Do you think you will be a good 3-4 player?

JACKSON: “Yes. I have a long way to go. I am going to continue working with my coaches, keep learning the playbook and the different techniques to use, but I think then I will be okay.”

Q: Are you and DT Alex Magee bonding a little bit?

JACKSON: “Yeah. I knew Alex because we trained together for the combine.”

Q: Have you talked with Alex about learning the new playbook?

JACKSON: “Right now we are just trying to get into the new playbook. We will go back to our rooms and question each other, just to see if we know what is going on. We go question, answer, question, answer back and forth to each other, just trying to learn the playbook so we can get on the field and know what we are doing.”

Q: Has the schedule for this weekend surprised you?

JACKSON: “No. So far, so good. It is pretty much the same type of way LSU ran their program except at a professional level so everything is much quicker and everything is on time. So far so good, I have adjusted pretty easily. I am pretty sure once the vets get here it is going to pick up even more. Right now I am doing ok.”

Q: What kind of impression has Coach Haley made on you?

JACKSON: “The first time I met him at the combine I thought he was a great coach just by the way he approached me when I walked into the room. From being around him the last two days I am getting the same feeling. He is a great coach who really understands football and he really has a passion for the game.”

Q: What do you think of your position coach, Tim Krumrie?

JACKSON: “He is a real intense coach and I just liked the way he played the game. I think I am going to end up learning a lot from him if I just keep listening and soak up everything he says and take it from the classroom onto the field.”

Q: Has anything been overwhelming?

JACKSON: “No. I got adjusted to the playbook pretty good. A lot of times in college we got started with a lot more than that. I think the coaches are trying to take their time and do it piece by piece. I am really getting acquainted with the defense and learning my role.”

Q: Many experts say the transition from college to the pros is hard. What is the difference for you?

JACKSON: “I can understand where the expert is coming from. Once again, it is football but guys are much faster, bigger, stronger and they know the technique. They not only know the offensive line’s game, but they know what the defense is supposed to do. They are able to get an advantage by cheating sometimes, but at the same time you are a professional so you have to get adjusted quickly. That is why I study my playbook as much as possible and keep listening to Coach Krumrie to try and get an advantage like that.”

Q: Have you talked to your agent about getting a contract done?

JACKSON: “No, I haven’t talked to my agent. I have been so busy trying to get used to this playbook that I haven’t worried about anything like that. I am just trying to get through this mini-camp and learn as much as possible before we get out here on Sundays. I need to be here as early as possible. I need to get here and learn my plays and stay ahead with the vets. I really need to be here on time and I am pretty confident in my agent. He is going to take care of everything that is supposed to be done.”

Q: Is this experience intimidating?

JACKSON: “No, it is not intimidating; it is just change like all things. I played in the SEC, so I have experienced a lot going against guys from Auburn or Alabama and guys with good technique like Tennessee. I played against pretty much all of them so I have adjusted pretty well so far.”

Q: Have you seen anything that has scared you and makes you think you need to up your game?

JACKSON: “Nothing has scared me so far, but I know I need to step up my game much more. I can’t continue to play the college game in the NFL.”

Q: What keeps you so level headed?

JACKSON: “The coaches in college always used to tell us to ‘control the controllable.’ I will take it one day at a time. I can only control what I can control and everything outside the box I leave alone.”

Q: Will anyone from your family be coming up frequently and will it be tough to leave your family?

JACKSON: “No, my brother will probably come visit often, but my mother doesn’t like flying, so she is probably going to drive if anything.”

LaChapelle 05-09-2009 03:43 PM

Magee

Q&A with DT ALEX MAGEE - 5/9
May 09, 2009, 1:52:18 PM

ROOKIE MINI-CAMP

Q: How is it going thus far?

ALEX MAGEE: “This weekend has been something that is completely new to me. Here in Kansas City they run things a little bit different than what I am used to in college. I think I am adjusting well but it has been pretty good so far.”

Q: What is the biggest surprise so far?

MAGEE: “I think just the whole defensive scheme, switching to a 3-4. I am used to playing a 4-3. I think that is the biggest adjustment but like I said, I think I can make the adjustments pretty well.”

Q: You played both inside and outside in college. How does your versatility fit in here?

MAGEE: “In college I played defensive tackle and defensive end so it kind of fits into the whole scheme of things switching to a 3-4 on the inside and going back outside, too.”

Q: Does it help your outlook that the coaches thought you could play in a 3-4 defense?

MAGEE: “Yeah. Like I said, playing defensive tackle and defensive end kind of showed my versatility in college. That kind of went into the whole planning process and the reason why they chose me. They saw me fitting into their scheme.”

Q: Do you feel like an NFL player yet?

MAGEE: “Definitely. I’ve been drafted, had my first two NFL practices underneath my belt. I would say I am a professional.”

Q: Have you thought about the situation you are coming into with all the new changes and how you fit in?

MAGEE: “Yeah, I would say so. Coming into a situation like this, everything is new so I think I have a pretty good opportunity to go out there and show them what I can do.”

Q: What was DE Tyson Jackson like to work out with during the combine?

MAGEE: “I met Tyson down in Tampa. We were training down in Saddlebrook leading up to the combine. It was a good experience. Tyson was one of the top defensive ends in the nation. To prepare myself with one of the nation’s best was a good opportunity. I enjoyed it.”

Q: What kind of impression have the coaches given you about their expectations?

MAGEE: “I think they expect the same out of all of us. Everybody has an equal opportunity coming in this weekend. They expect us to give it your all and catch somebody’s eyes. Basically to just give it all you’ve got.”

Q: What kind of impression do you want to leave the coaches with?

MAGEE: “The first impression is the most important. I obviously want to leave a good impression.”

Q: What gives you confidence coming into this situation?

MAGEE: “My versatility and where they are going to be using me on the defensive line. I played defensive end at 300 pounds my senior year, so it is a little bit different. I didn’t have much experience at the position but I think I did well, especially with my size.”

Q: How would you describe DE Tyson Jackson as a player?

MAGEE: “He is hard working, dedicated and a very talented individual.”

Fritz88 05-09-2009 03:44 PM

Todd is a douche. But I will ride with him.

LaChapelle 05-09-2009 03:45 PM

Brown

&A with T COLIN BROWN - 5/9
May 09, 2009, 1:42:41 PM

ROOKIE MINI-CAMP

Q: How did it go today?

COLIN BROWN: “It went good. I am excited to play football. It has been a long time.”

Q: What are the toughest things to pick up thus far?

BROWN: “For the last three years I have known the offense in an out. So figuring out the new offense and remembering what to do and remembering to play faster. Everything comes at a faster pace, so I would say those are the two main things.”

Q: What have you been doing the past couple weeks?

BROWN: “You know I spent a lot of time at home. I haven’t been home consistently for a long time so I spent a lot of time at home hanging out with my parents. I was working out and everything, as well.”

Q: What do you think of this level of competition?

BROWN: “It is a lot of fun. Everybody is good so you have to be ready to go every play. It is a lot of fun.”

Q: Do you feel like your head is spinning when you walked through the doors?

BROWN: “Yeah, you really didn’t know what you are doing as far as what was next in practice. It is a whole new situation and you don’t really know anybody. It is a different experience.”

Q: How different is this offense to pick up compared to the spread you ran at Mizzou?

BROWN: “It’s not as bad as I figured it to be. There are a lot of similarities. There are some minor things you have to adjust to, but for the most part it is pretty similar.”

Q: Do you feel like you belong here?

BROWN: “I definitely have confidence in myself. It is not like I think everybody is so much better than me, but everybody is good. It is just a matter of believing in yourself and doing what you do.”

Q: What was the reaction of the people in your hometown in Braymer, MO when you were drafted by the Chiefs?

BROWN: “Everybody was ecstatic. Everybody up in that area is a Chiefs fan so everybody was pumped. It is a lot of fun”

Q: How did it feel to get that Chiefs jersey?

BROWN: “That was a dream come true. My whole life, growing up, I wanted to play for the Chiefs. I am getting closer to realizing that dream. It was a pretty cool experience.”

Q: What has Coach Haley talked to you guys about?

BROWN: “Just playing hard and making sure you don’t take plays off. Play hard and play consistent.”

Q: What does it feel like being a rookie coming into a brand new situation in this organization?

BROWN: “I haven’t really thought about it like that. I am just thankful for the opportunity. The fact that it is here is the greatest thing ever. The opportunity is all that matters to me.”

Q: Do you think that being this close to home is an advantage or disadvantage?

BROWN: “I was thinking about that a couple nights ago. With some parts I think it will be a lot easier like when I want to go home and see my Mom, it is an hour drive up there. I can also where that could be a problem, but I don’t see it being a problem. This is where I want to be.”

Q: What do you think you need to work on the most?

BROWN: “A little bit of everything to tell you the truth. Coming out of a three-point stance, remembering the plays and knowing exactly what I am supposed to do, playing faster and just little parts of everything we did at Missouri, I have to improve on.”

Q: Have you had a chance to visit with Chase Patton?

BROWN: “Yeah, he called me a few days ago and told me he was coming. I was pretty excited about that and we have talked quite a bit since we have been down here. He is kind of like me, he is just glad for the opportunity. The fact that he is getting a chance, he is thrilled.”

Q: How big is the playbook compared to college?

BROWN: “We are just getting into it, so I don’t really know where it is going to go.”

Q: Is it a lot more information that you’ve had to soak in a shorter timeframe than you’ve had to learn previously?

BROWN: “Not really. We have put it in fast before. The fact that it is all new, to remember exactly what you are supposed to do is the challenging part.”

Q: What message do you want to send to the coaches?

BROWN: “Just that I am going to give everything I’ve got every play. I may not always be right. I may be wrong sometimes, but I will do whatever they want, full speed, every play.”

Q: When playing at Arrowhead with Missouri, did you ever look around and think it would be cool to be here at the next level?

BROWN: “For the Kansas game we were in the Chiefs locker room. So when we came in the day before to set up, I remember thinking this is one of the coolest places ever to play. I have thought back on that memory a couple times since draft day. ”

LaChapelle 05-09-2009 03:46 PM

Succop

Q&A with K RYAN SUCCOP - 5/9
May 09, 2009, 1:40:39 PM

ROOKIE MINI-CAMP

Q: Have the coaches talked to you about the competition for the kicking job?

SUCCOP: “We have not really discussed it yet. The only thing I can do is work as hard as I can and try to prepare myself to the best of my ability.”

Q: Since you got drafted you must feel like they like you?

SUCCOP: “I felt fortunate that they felt that way about me and thought highly enough of me to draft me. That makes you feel good. You still have to go out there and prove it every day – on the practice field and off the practice field. Just do your best.”

Q: Would you rather have been a rookie free agent instead of getting drafted?

SUCCOP: “I am really happy I got drafted. It worked really well to come to a place like Kansas City to play for some great coaches and a great organization. I am really excited about the fact I got drafted. I feel like I have a legitimate shot to come in and make the team.”

Q: If you are the last pick in the draft do you get a free trip to Disney World?

SUCCOP: “They have a little celebration in California and I am not real sure what it all entails. They have a parade for you and a couple of other things. It is supposed to be a pretty neat experience.”

Q: Are you embracing the nickname of Mr. Irrelevant?

SUCCOP: “I did not choose to be Mr. Irrelevant. It just sort of worked out like that. I am trying to not get caught up in it and focus more on the task on hand which is coming in here and help the team. It is not one of those things I think about a whole lot.”

Q: Did you punt in college?

SUCCOP: “Yes sir. I punted for two years.”

Q: Have they said anything to you about giving you some work at punter?

SUCCOP: “I think they are pretty shored up at punter. It’s maybe something I do in practice to help out the returner. In an emergency situation if something happened to the punter, I could in there to do it.”

Q: How has (special teams coach) Steve Hoffman helped you?

SUCCOP: “Coach Hoffman has been really good. When Coach Hoffman came to work me out before the draft he showed me something in five minutes. It was one of the most helpful things I have ever been shown as a kicker my whole career. That was pretty cool just how much of difference that has made. He has been here two days with me working and I have a whole lot of respect for him. I think he is a really good coach. I am excited to have more of an opportunity to work with him over these next few months. I think he can really help me. If I work hard, I think I can improve.”

Q: What was his tip?

SUCCOP: “It was something we were working on for kickoffs. He just showed me a little bit different technique. It made a big difference.”

Q: Have they talked to you about the need to get better on special teams?

SUCCOP: “We have not gotten into that.”

Q: What was it like trying to kick injured last year?

SUCCOP: “It was frustrating. I had the injury after the fourth game of the year. The hardest part about it was it was too painful to practice during the week. I had to just play on Saturday. That was frustrating because I was not able to practice. As the season went on it got a little bit better and I was able to start practicing again. On that note it was a positive because it was tough experience and I think it made me better from going through it. I look at as a positive.”

Q: What is your range?

SUCCOP: “It depends on the day. I’ve messed around on the practice field and have hit from as far as 68 yards. It just depends on the day and the weather, I guess.”

Q: How many games did you miss because of the injury?

SUCCOP: “I didn’t miss any. I played through it.”

the Talking Can 05-09-2009 04:20 PM

haley is so straight forward and drama free in interviews....it is easy for him to answer questions because he knows exactly what he believes (if that makes sense)....

so far i like the personality and you can already hear Haley in Jackson and Macgee's interviews...interesting stuff about our kicking coach too....

milkman 05-09-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5752786)
haley is so straight forward and drama free in interviews....it is easy for him to answer questions because he knows exactly what he believes (if that makes sense)....

so far i like the personality and you can already hear Haley in Jackson and Macgee's interviews...interesting stuff about our kicking coach too....

The question is, if Hoffman can help SuckUp, then why can't he do the same for Connor Barwin?

And if he can help Connor Barwin, then why the hell do we waste a pick on a kicker?

milkman 05-09-2009 04:33 PM

Every coach that has come in here fresh, from Marty, to ****her, to Dick, and even Herman ****ing Edwards has had the same thing said about them.

At the end of the ****ing day, it's all ****ing bullshit.

the Talking Can 05-09-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5752792)
The question is, if Hoffman can help SuckUp, then why can't he do the same for Connor Barwin?

And if he can help Connor Barwin, then why the hell do we waste a pick on a kicker?

don't know what to tell you dude, you seem bent on being upset...rage on about that 7th round pick.....

and haley did answer your question

"HALEY: “We want competition in as many positions as we can and the kicker was somebody that our special teams coach, Steve Hoffman, had gone and worked out and really liked. I don’t know you know much about him, but Coach Hoffman is one of the few special team coaches that is really a technical teacher. What he’s done for really the last 19 years is teach kickers and punters technique and actually works with them on mechanics.

“He worked him out, tinkered with his approach on some kickoffs and the kid responded. He thought he had a chance to be a real good kicker in the league. We’re excited about the opportunity to bring him in."

BigRock 05-09-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5752792)

I'm not sure the Texans would agree to that.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-09-2009 05:23 PM

Dr. Pain, in his gray Chiefs operating scrubs, whipping asses in to shape!
I like. I really like.

jAZ 05-09-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5752786)

Yes and I think that is very important.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-09-2009 05:39 PM

"Did you have to come in and do a private workout for Krumrie"?

(eyes big, shakes head) "No"!

ROFL

The Bad Guy 05-09-2009 05:45 PM

Steve Hoffman is the best kicking coach in the NFL. We are really lucky to have him.