ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Jim Zorn named QB coach... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241634)

milkman 02-15-2011 10:33 AM

http://www.kcchiefs....a3-42aa36ab5b90

Jim Zorn Named Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach
By Josh Looney

Posted 11 minutes ago

Zorn brings quarterback expertise with him to Kansas City
http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/image...50_2_15_11.jpg

Chiefs Head Coach Todd Haley left the door open for further staff additions during offensive coordinator Bill Muir's introductory teleconference 12 days ago. That possibility became a reality when Jim Zorn flew to Kansas City this morning and inked a contract to become the Chiefs next quarterbacks coach.

The addition of Zorn gives the Chiefs a tenured quarterbacks coach with unequivocal responsibility for the continued development Matt Casselhttp://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/nflim...ticle-link.gif.

A former NFL signal caller and 23-year coaching veteran, Zorn has worked with quarterbacks his entire professional career and received positive reviews from each of the quarterbacks that he's tutored along the way.

Last season, Zorn served as quarterbacks coach in Baltimore and guided QB Joe Flacco to the best season of his three-year NFL career. Flacco passed for a career-high 3,622 yards and tossed 25 TDs. He also posted a 103.4 quarterback rating over Baltimore's final 14 games to rank as the NFL's second-best passer over that timeframe.

It wasn't any coincidence that the Ravens posted an 11-3 record in those final 14 contests.

Flacco's breakout season completed a three-franchise sweep for Zorn. In each of his three NFL coaching stops (Seattle, Washington and Baltimore) Zorn has guided a starting quarterback to a career season.

In 2007, Zorn tutored Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck to a franchise-record 3,966 passing yards and left Hasselbeck as that franchise's most-efficient passer. Hasselbeck is the only Seahawks quarterback to pass for 3,000-plus yards in three consecutive seasons since Zorn did so as a player from 1978-80. Hasselbeck also set single-season marks for completions (352), touchdowns (28) and passer rating (91.4) in 2007.

In addition to his specialty in directing quarterback play, Zorn also adds more head coaching experience to Kansas City's staff, having served as Washington's head coach from 2008-09.

During Zorn's time in Washington, QB Jason Campbell posted the two best seasons of his five-year NFL career, throwing for a career-high 3,618 yards and a career-best 20 TDs in 2009.

Unlike many of the Kansas City's previous staff additions, Zorn and Haley have no previous ties to one another. But while the two have never coached on the same sideline, the pair does seem to carry the same vision when it comes to directing effective quarterback play.

Throughout his tenure in Washington, Zorn described his coaching approach as "constant and consistent." Zorn's head coaching philosophy centered on his teams playing smart, steady, mistake-free football. Each of those aspects has been a point of emphasis under Haley in Kansas City.

Zorn's hiring signals a shift in staff structure as Zorn is the first Kansas City assistant to carry a "quarterbacks" title since Haley took over as head coach in 2009.

Throughout Haley's head coaching tenure, the primary responsibility for directing quarterback play has fallen on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator. Chan Gailey, Charlie Weis and Haley himself have all had previous success working with quarterbacks at the NFL level.

Those duties shifted this off-season with the promotion of Muir to offensive coordinator.

With Muir's expertise coming in offensive line play, the need for a proven and experienced quarterbacks coach became a priority. Zorn clearly fills that void.

As a player, Zorn made 106 starts over an 11-year playing career (1976-84) completing 1,669 passes for 21,115 yards with 111 TDs. Nine of those seasons came in Seattle (1976-84) where Zorn entered the league undrafted.

The Jim Zorn File

2011: Kansas City Chiefs – Quarterbacks

2010: Baltimore Ravens - Quarterbacks

2008-09: Washington Redskins – Head Coach

2000-07: Seattle Seahawks – Quarterbacks

1998-00: Detroit Lions – Quarterbacks

1997: Seattle Seahawks – Offensive Assistant

1995-96: University of Minnesota – Quarterbacks

1992-94: Utah State – Offensive Coordinator

1989-91: Boise State – Quarterbacks (1989-90); Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers (1991)

1976-87: NFL Quarterback (Seattle, 1976-84; Green Bay, 1985; Tampa Bay, 1987)

doomy3 02-15-2011 10:35 AM

Excellent.

Oh, and this is a hire outside of "the tree," right?

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7430983)

That's okay Joe. When we bounce your asses out of the playoffs, Jim will play a big part in it.

Kerberos 02-15-2011 10:35 AM

So if Casshole doesn't improve under Zorns tutelage do we then say Casshole sucks beyond anyones coaching? Or do we give him another excuse and blame it on Zorn?

CHENZ A! 02-15-2011 10:37 AM

I'm absolutely cool with this. I'd like to see us draft a QB for him to develop. Does Zorn have any connections to Pioli, Haley, Parcells, or Belichek? It seems like a guy with his credentials would get a lot of offers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Urc Burry 02-15-2011 10:37 AM

Can he bring Flacco with him :shrug:

Bill Lundberg 02-15-2011 10:38 AM

Awesome.

milkman 02-15-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 7431000)
So if Casshole doesn't improve under Zorns tutelage do we then say Casshole sucks beyond anyones coaching? Or do we give him another excuse and blame it on Zorn?

If Cassel fails to continue to progress and improve under Zorn, that will be a clear indictment of Cassel.

-King- 02-15-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

This is Cassles make it or break it year. Either he proves that how he played in the middle of the year wasn't just a fluke, or he proves that he was just lucky and he really is a below average to average qb.
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can 02-15-2011 10:40 AM

Nice. I like having a dedicated QB guy.

milkman 02-15-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7431003)
I'm absolutely cool with this. I'd like to see us draft a QB for him to develop. Does Zorn have any connections to Pioli, Haley, Parcells, or Belichek? It seems like a guy with his credentials would get a lot of offers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Given Zorn's history with Mike Holmgren, I'm surprised that the Browns didn't make a run at him.

Deberg_1990 02-15-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7431008)
If Cassel fails to continue to progress and improve under Zorn, that will be a clear indictment of Cassel.

Exactly. Zorn is a solid hire IMO.

DJ's left nut 02-15-2011 10:41 AM

Damn...very nice hire.

And I'll bet he's also being 'interviewed' to replace Muir next season. If he plays nice with Haley, Muir will get a gold watch and a quiet push out the door to make room for Zorn as the new OC.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7431003)
Posted via Mobile Device

Zorn's record with QB's speaks for itself. I also think Jim sees something in Matt, and it played a role in him coming here. Pretty ****ing refreshing after the Muir promotion. I'm confident this is going to be a much bigger deal than a lot of people may realize right now. Flacco made a HUGE leap this year with an incredibly difficult schedule. Matt now has the same opportunity.

the Talking Can 02-15-2011 10:44 AM

i like guys who have already had their shot at the HC gig as well. They should realize and be more at peace with their level in the coaching hierarchy. Ideally, if they're good at their job (of course)(and don't fight with Haley for the KFC skins at the bottom of the bucket like Weis did), you can hold on to them for awhile (yeah I'm talking to you Romeo, you can't leave us...)