ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Anyone ever join a frat?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260657)

Sucky 06-19-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 8688803)
I had a single room in our house.

Good for you dude. The frats that I came across, every mofo had to share a room. Sounded really lame.

WhiteWhale 06-19-2012 02:41 PM

I'm more like the guy who crashed frat parties....

Sucky 06-19-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 8688841)
No but I did join a fraternity in college. Good times, went to school saying I wasn't going to, but you were either greek, geek or gay. Remember the one bonus with 60 guys...it usually comes with 120 girls.

Gotcha. But while I was in college my house parties attracted tons of chicks. Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

CrazyPhuD 06-19-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 8688843)
Good for you dude. The frats that I came across, every mofo had to share a room. Sounded really lame.

Seniority gets singles(usually) but they were small, but really short of studying, sleeping, or 'other activities' wth are you doing in your room?

ChiTown 06-19-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8688839)
Did you have your very own Bluto?Ours was in his 8th year and his major was sports and leisure and he could drink like a fish.

We had a couple. One in particular was a guy I ran into out in Vail several years ago. He was playing guitar and singing at a bar. In 20 years, nothing had changed.:D

vailpass 06-19-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 8688841)
No but I did join a fraternity in college. Good times, went to school saying I wasn't going to, but you were either greek, geek or gay. Remember the one bonus with 60 guys...it usually comes with 120 girls.

ROFL And there it is....

Nzoner 06-19-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 8688837)
Ha I actually had a frat try to get me to rush but I just wasnt interested. Things like Hell Week, Father/Son, Brother blah blah blah didint interest me. In the end I didnt need to pay to have friends.;)

Of course not all fraternities are the same,the first one I rushed I was at their party with a friend and we lit up a joint and next thing we knew a guy is standing over us and says,"uh we don't do this kind of thing here and especially out in the open."

I looked up at the guy handed the joint to my friend took off the rush pin and told him,"don't think I'll be needing this."

Said to myself that was it I was going GDI and then I met a guy and learned that there was a fraternity that actually encouraged individuality and I was all in.

Nzoner 06-19-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 8688848)
Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

We heard you the first time and just for the record I'd bet most of us frat boys here didn't NEED to either.

phisherman 06-19-2012 02:56 PM

True. Most of the guys in my pledge class particularly were already good buddies of mine that lived on my floor in the dorms. We partied and hung out together as GDIs for a while before we all pledged.

vailpass 06-19-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

That sounds as weak today as it did 20 years ago when I was in undergrad. GDI or Frat doesn't matter, a guy is either cool and can hang or he can't.

CrazyPhuD 06-19-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Gotcha. But while I was in college my house parties attracted tons of chicks. Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

See the thing that a lot of people mistake is that being in a fraternity isn't about 'getting friends' or whatnot. It all depends upon where you go because quite a few places **** this up(and frankly I wouldn't be in one at a state university). But there are quite a bit of leadership skills and life skills that you learn during that time. Manage 60+ people doing periodic stupid shit and see what you learn.

But there's more too that many people won't get unless they've been through it. The military/boot camp is probably a more extreme version of it, but the reality of life is that during times of stress some people crack and some people rise to the occasion. You find out more of what you're made of in the process.

There are many douchebags in (some)fraternities and they can get a bad rap by those that aren't in them and haven't been through it(and a few bad apples that **** up the system), but done properly it can be a great development experience that's harder to get in the rest of the college experience. You can still, but not nearly as a consistently.

Otter 06-19-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8688867)
Of course not all fraternities are the same,the first one I rushed I was at their party with a friend and we lit up a joint and next thing we knew a guy is standing over us and says,"uh we don't do this kind of thing here and especially out in the open."

I looked up at the guy handed the joint to my friend took off the rush pin and told him,"don't think I'll be needing this."

Said to myself that was it I was going GDI and then I met a guy and learned that there was a fraternity that actually encouraged individuality and I was all in.

The only reason you would get shit for that at our chapter was because you either didn't share or didn't smoke the whole thing like Bluto downing the bottle of Jack.

Dante84 06-19-2012 03:02 PM

Funniest three years of my life. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Nzoner 06-19-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8688902)
That sounds as weak today as it did 20 years ago when I was in undergrad. GDI or Frat doesn't matter, a guy is either cool and can hang or he can't.

QFT

loochy 06-19-2012 03:22 PM

I rushed Sigma Nu but I didn't think I'd have enough time to take school seriously and I couldn't afford the dues.