ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football head coach landing spots: your choice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266982)

Chief Roundup 11-24-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9145795)
I don't think Marvin is terrible. It doesn't help when your owner continuously gives you players who are locker room killers. I think Marvin could do ok behind not mike brown. Don't think he's a super bowl coach, but better than what he's been allowed to work with.

Marvin Lewis has always wanted a "thug" element. Marvin is the one responsible for Pac Man Jones signing and Vontaze Burfict just off the top of my head.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9143993)
The only thing I'm going to SD for is the weather. The talent on that team sucks.

Rivers is in a massive decline, no WRs, fumble prone RB, no offensive line.

Defensively, they are good, but that offense needs a massive rebuild.

Rivers like Romo are playing shitty this year because they have a lot in common in their own respective adversities i.e. to injury ridden/horrible O-line play and young WRs still learning thus both QBs have had to significantly over compensate and take many more risks than usual.

I'll take either one of those QBs in red and gold with a good O-line any day:thumb:

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9145805)
Marvin Lewis has always wanted a "thug" element. Marvin is the one responsible for Pac Man Jones signing and Vontaze Burfict just off the top of my head.

Marvin Lewis IMO has 'peter principled' out at a DC position. He is not a HC. Just like Romeo,Wade, Spags, Haslett, etc... and the list goes on :thumb:

The Bad Guy 11-24-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9144189)
Quality talent at free safety is a luxury. Not a necessity. This team isn't in a critical position if they upgrade elsewhere and ignore Lewis.

And this can easily be solved with a low draft pick or cheap free agency pickup.

What?

It absolutely is a critical need. Quality talent? So you'd be ok with putting marginal talent back there?

Lewis doesn't really do anything well. He doesn't like to tackle, is terrible in space. His coverage skills are ok.

Hopefully the next regime that comes in puts Berry at FS and ends this bullshit.

The Bad Guy 11-24-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9145735)
Ill never understand how Marvin Lewis keeps his job. Hes perfectly mediocre.

I actually think he has grown as a HC.

That Bengal team is tough. Very tough. He lets the coordinators coordinate and the players now seem to enjoy him.

I don't think they should make a change now.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9145820)
What?

It absolutely is a critical need. Quality talent? So you'd be ok with putting marginal talent back there?

Lewis doesn't really do anything well. He doesn't like to tackle, is terrible in space. His coverage skills are ok.

Hopefully the next regime that comes in puts Berry at FS and ends this bullshit.

I totally agree. You have to have good to great talent at FS because as the ol saying goes "this is a QB driven league" which means passing now rules which means now you have to have safeties that can cover and not just hit to fill the run.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9145820)
What?

We aren't going to have pro bowlers at every position.

In terms of building a team, if we are a good team outside of the free safety position, we will be fine. Lots of terrific teams have had average free safety talent. It is a luxury position. There's a reason why good safeties often fall outside the first round. If it was such a critical position and such a hard one to fill, they'd be top 10 picks.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9145805)

I dunno. I've met Marvin Lewis. He does not strike me as this type of guy. I think he enjoyed the challenge. But let's be clear about something. The reason the team signs character issues is because mike brown is arrogant and cheap, and brown believed he could build a more talentd team cheaper by pulling in a bunch of talented players who were cheap because of their locker room issues.

I don't know how good he is. But he is definitely limited under a management that is as dysfunctional as kc.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:22 AM

I know we are talking safeties here but I really believe Pioli allowing Carr to get away really screwed up the defensive psyche of this team which has effected everyone else's play(psyche) on the D to some degree this year as well:shake:

mcaj22 11-24-2012 11:24 AM

the best teams in the NFL have good safeties

49ers- Goldson and Whitner
Ravens - Ed Reed and Bernie Pollard
Patriots - Devin McCourty, Pat Chung, Steve Gregory
Texans - Manning and Quinn
Steelers - Ryan Clark, Troy Polamalu, Will Allen
Giants - Antrelle Rolle, Stevie Brown
Packers - Morgan Burnett, Charles Woodson
Bears - Major Wright, Chris Conte
Falcons - William Moore, Thomas Decoud
Bucs - Mark Barron, Ronde Barber
Seahawks - Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas

all these teams with winning records have really good safety play on the backend or they platoon a bunch of okay players together (Patriots)

we have shit at the position, no talent, no depth, no anything. And Fat Scott is to blame, because its not like the cupboard was bare when he came, and he only made it worse. Page and Pollard were 10x better than what we put back there today.

Chiefshrink 11-24-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9145844)
I dunno. I've met Marvin Lewis. He does not strike me as this type of guy. I think he enjoyed the challenge. But let's be clear about something. The reason the team signs character issues is because mike brown is arrogant and cheap, and brown believed he could build a more talentd team cheaper by pulling in a bunch of talented players who were cheap because of their locker room issues.

I don't know how good he is. But he is definitely limited under a management that is as dysfunctional as kc.

Maybe. But the bottom line is that this combo ain't working.:thumb:

mcaj22 11-24-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9145836)
We aren't going to have pro bowlers at every position.

In terms of building a team, if we are a good team outside of the free safety position, we will be fine. Lots of terrific teams have had average free safety talent. It is a luxury position. There's a reason why good safeties often fall outside the first round. If it was such a critical position and such a hard one to fill, they'd be top 10 picks.

your logic is so flawed.

so in a pass happy NFL league where there are tons of good QBs passing at will, it is a LUXURY to have good safeties? Think about that for a minute. You think you can get by having crap at safety.

Newflash, we have had garbage at safety for the last like 10 years, and we have been awful. At some point you need ballhawking playmakers and safeties that arent afraid to hit someone and play the run. We have had NONE of that. Kendrick Lewis cant catch a cold and he cant hit the broad side of a barn if he tried.

chiefzilla1501 11-24-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9145855)
your logic is so flawed.

so in a pass happy NFL league where there are tons of good QBs passing at will, it is a LUXURY to have good safeties? Think about that for a minute. You think you can get by having crap at safety.

Newflash, we have had garbage at safety for the last like 10 years, and we have been awful. At some point you need ballhawking playmakers and safeties that arent afraid to hit someone and play the run. We have had NONE of that. Kendrick Lewis cant catch a cold and he cant hit the broad side of a barn if he tried.

News flash, most top 10 defenses don't get stunning play out of their free safety. And free safety even in a passing league continues to be one of the lowest positional value players in a draft.

The idea that we should be freaking out because Kendrick lewis is starting is stunning. I want an upgrade too. But we can get a good enough replacement in the second or third round or later. And good enough is fine. And if they don't replace Kendrick Lewis, it's not even close to as big a miss as not having good pass rushers, nose tackle play, or cornerback play. Unless you have Ed reed talent, the strong safety is still more crucial than the free.