ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Favorite era of Black Sabbath? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187500)

chiefs1111 07-19-2008 10:46 PM

Favorite era of Black Sabbath?

I assume most everyone would say Ozzy era is the best.... I also however enjoy the Dio era stuff as well...... what about you?

StcChief 07-19-2008 10:48 PM

original Black Sabbath...1-volume 4. what I grew up hearing.

Bugeater 07-19-2008 11:32 PM

Dio "era" was only two albums. It's not really a fair comparison.

Nzoner 07-19-2008 11:37 PM

I have everything by them with Ozzy,they were one of my absolute favs growing up,even got to see them live in 1978 with a newer opening act that called themselves Van Halen.What a show!

chiefs1111 07-19-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBo (Post 4856749)
Dio "era" was only two albums. It's not really a fair comparison.

Well actually there was 3 albums Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer.

DaneMcCloud 07-19-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 4856760)
Well actually there was 3 albums Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer.

As well as the three new songs on the latest "Best Of" AND they're doing a brand new record as "Heaven and Hell".

As much as "Paranoid" was a groundbreaking, amazing record, I'm going to have to go with Dio era.

For one, it's much more difficult to duplicate. I love "Electric Funeral" but bands like Alice in Chains (specifically) have been able to rip off that era quite easily (as has Soundgarden, among many others).

No one has matched the dynamics and intensity of the Dio years.

IMHO.

But truth be told, it's like choosing a favorite child. Both are unbelievably awesome, awe-inspiring and unmatched in the world of heavy, original music.

chiefs1111 07-20-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4856774)
As well as the three new songs on the latest "Best Of" AND they're doing a brand new record as "Heaven and Hell".

As much as "Paranoid" was a groundbreaking, amazing record, I'm going to have to go with Dio era.

For one, it's much more difficult to duplicate. I love "Electric Funeral" but bands like Alice in Chains (specifically) have been able to rip off that era quite easily (as has Soundgarden, among many others).

No one has matched the dynamics and intensity of the Dio years.

IMHO.

But truth be told, it's like choosing a favorite child. Both are unbelievably awesome, awe-inspiring and unmatched in the world of heavy, original music.

I liked the 3 new Heaven and Hell songs, and I think they are going to do a new studio album together,so i will be looking forward to that....

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 4856803)
I liked the 3 new Heaven and Hell songs, and I think they are going to do a new studio album together,so i will be looking forward to that....

I'm glad you liked them because they did kick serious ****ing ass.

BTW, that's what I stated in my opening line :p

I'm very much looking forward to the new record as well.

Reaper16 07-20-2008 01:23 AM

Ozzy era is my fav, barely. There are a whole lot of unlauded songs from that era that just ****ing rule. That said, I love the Dio era.

Nzoner 07-20-2008 02:08 AM

I need a favor please,after reading these comments on Dio I have to admit I gave up on Sabbath after Heaven & Hell.Don't get me wrong I like the album but I guess I was just too hooked on Ozzy's vocals and Sabbath ended at that time for me.

I'm going to list a few of my fav Sabbath songs and other than the Heaven & Hell album(which I have)I'd like some suggestions on which Dio w/Sabbath songs I should listen to.

Megalomania
Who Are You
After Forever
The Wizard
Symptom Of The Universe
NIB
Wheels Of Confusion

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 4856853)
I need a favor please,after reading these comments on Dio I have to admit I gave up on Sabbath after Heaven & Hell.Don't get me wrong I like the album but I guess I was just too hooked on Ozzy's vocals and Sabbath ended at that time for me.

I'm going to list a few of my fav Sabbath songs and other than the Heaven & Hell album(which I have)I'd like some suggestions on which Dio w/Sabbath songs I should listen to.

Megalomania
Who Are You
After Forever
The Wizard
Symptom Of The Universe
NIB
Wheels Of Confusion

Neon Knights
Lady Evil
Children of the Sea
Mob Rules
Heaven & Hell
Sign of the Southern Cross
TV Crimes
Die Young

And the new songs:

The Devil Cried
Shadow of the Wind
Ear in the Wall

Nzoner 07-20-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 4856855)
Neon Knights
Lady Evil
Children of the Sea
Mob Rules
Heaven & Hell
Sign of the Southern Cross
TV Crimes
Die Young

And the new songs:

The Devil Cried
Shadow of the Wind
Ear in the Wall

Like I said in my post I have H & H so the 1st 4 of 5 I'm more than familiar with as I am Mob Rules because I just realized it's on the Heavy Metal Soundtrack but I'll check the others out,thanks.

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 4856857)
Like I said in my post I have H & H so the 1st 4 of 5 I'm more than familiar with as I am Mob Rules because I just realized it's on the Heavy Metal Soundtrack but I'll check the others out,thanks.

No prob!

You may never like them as much as Ozzy era Sabbath (there's always that personal connection - which of course is what music is all about!) but they are great songs and Dio's voice is in top form.

Enjoy!

Huffman83 07-20-2008 06:57 AM

The first 4 Sabbath albums are excellent...however...I do like the Dio.

Nightwish 07-20-2008 11:53 AM

1. Dio
2. Ian Gillian
3. Ozzy

Note: the Gillian "era" was only one album, but it was an awesome album!