ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Polian and Dungy to be new GM and HC? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268030)

htismaqe 12-26-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9241621)
Dungy turns this team into a yearly playoff team with an outside chance at a super bowl. I don't think it's much different from hiring Andy Reid or Marty. I would argue its not much different from hiring cowher either.

So again, what are the positives?

chiefzilla1501 12-26-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9241607)
It would be a HORRIBLE choice.

Do you like Aaron Murray, because that is the QB Dungy likes.

I think you are taking his quote too literally. Besides, if dungy is picking qbs, we are in trouble. Anyone who hires him needs to hire an expert offensive coordinator.

nychief 12-26-2012 11:03 AM

For a franchise in disarray, there is an argument that Dungy would be a stabilizing force... that being said, I'm not sure if he wants to get his hands dirty with a five year rebuild. He is the Pope of the NFL, makes a lot of money in TV and is universally respected (except by the football experts on this board).

DeezNutz 12-26-2012 11:04 AM

Dungy? No ****ing thank you.

What the hell is wrong with some Chiefs fans that they're trying to justify what would truly be a terrible hire?

bevischief 12-26-2012 11:05 AM

Drugs are bad.

htismaqe 12-26-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9241639)

What the hell is wrong with some Chiefs fans that they're trying to justify what would truly be a terrible hire?

9-7 baby!

Playoff tailgating...

chiefzilla1501 12-26-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9241623)
So again, what are the positives?

Same positives as hiring Reid or cowher. You get a guy who is going to build a top notch football team who will be in a super bowl hunt every year.

For the record, I don't want to hire the guy because the downside is you get a very talented, well coached football team who can't win at the next level. Same downside as Reid and to some extent cowher.

htismaqe 12-26-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9241720)
Same positives as hiring Reid or cowher. You get a guy who is going to build a top notch football team who will be in a super bowl hunt every year.

For the record, I don't want to hire the guy because the downside is you get a very talented, well coached football team who can't win at the next level. Same downside as Reid and to some extent cowher.

That was exactly my point.

I'd prefer to have a guy with SOLID Super Bowl upside.

I'm not on board with recreating the 90s.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-26-2012 11:52 AM

Sweet Jesus. Can I just shoot myself in the face with a piss-loaded Super Soaker and call it good instead?

chiefzilla1501 12-26-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9241734)
That was exactly my point.

I'd prefer to have a guy with SOLID Super Bowl upside.

I'm not on board with recreating the 90s.

I find it interesting that despite this, a lot of people want cowher. Nevermind that his offensive philosophy has ALWAYS centered around a conservative offensive philosophy with a few gambles sprinkled in.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-26-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9241042)
I am convinced though that if it's Polian, then the QB is going to be Barkley.

I've heard Polian in a few spots and he constantly says how he loves QBs from a Pro Style offense, that were 4 year starters and come from a big school.

I wish Clark would be focusing on uncovering the next Carl Peterson that can turn this ship around like CP did in the late 80s instead of hiring some re-tread big name piece of shit that's going to come in with his chest stuck out and his ego inflated.

Just listen to that ****face on ESPN. He's arrogant as ****, and always tries to throw in a story of his old glory days into everything. I want to smack that smug look off his face every time I see him on TV. I want nothing to do with the guy. He's 70 and is just looking to get his kid a job. That's it, that's all.

htismaqe 12-26-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9241752)
I find it interesting that despite this, a lot of people want cowher. Nevermind that his offensive philosophy has ALWAYS centered around a conservative offensive philosophy with a few gambles sprinkled in.

Because deep down people want Marty even though they also want a Super Bowl.

They feel like Cowher is Marty without the choke-in-the-playoffs aspect.

RealSNR 12-26-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9241639)

Not a single ****ing decent head coach has graced this team in such a long time that fans think that anywhere is up. "May as well turn to coaches who have won Super Bowls before"

tk13 12-26-2012 12:07 PM

I don't know if this is the most inspired idea but we could do a lot worse. But I respect Dungy more than most people on here. He's not some master tactician or personnel guy but he did good work in both TB and Indy. TB was the joke of the league when he took over. He lets his coordinators and talent do their thing. CP always has an excuse for everything. Yeah they had Manning. Yeah he had Monte Kiffin too. Belichick has never won a title without Crennel, but that doesn't mean he's a defensive fraud. Most importantly, we'll probably have the #1 pick. If Geno is as good as everyone here says he'll be, we are set.

That said, if Polian's the guy... Polian is making that first pick. Not Dungy, not anyone else. Polian would probably be the one hire with a bigger ego than Pioli, but to his credit he has about about 25 years experience over Pioli actually calling the shots and doing it well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6 12-26-2012 01:06 PM

TAMPA TWO TO THE SHIP!

Micjones 12-26-2012 08:18 PM

Polian's almost 70. Not interested.
Dungy's been away from the game too long.

No thanks to both.

DeezNutz 12-26-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9241764)

Marty was a great coach in the regular season. As others, myself included, have noted before, if your life depends upon one regular season win, I'm not sure there's a coach I'd rather have preparing that team than Marty.

The playoffs, though? Damn. If regular-season Marty was also post-season Marty, we're talking about one of the all-time greats, not just a good coach with a tragic flaw on his resume.

chiefzilla1501 12-26-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9242587)
Polian's almost 70. Not interested.
Dungy's been away from the game too long.

No thanks to both.

It depends on what you've done in that time away from the game. Gruden for example... is a retread candidate the intrigues me. He's been studying up on the spread and I bet comes back with an offense we're not expecting.

Micjones 12-26-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9242604)
It depends on what you've done in that time away from the game. Gruden for example... is a retread candidate the intrigues me. He's been studying up on the spread and I bet comes back with an offense we're not expecting.

There have been significant changes to the game in the time he's been away.
We already have a coach who the game has passed by.

kcxiv 12-26-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9242612)

It all matters is if the coach can adapt to the times. There are some coaches who are so hardheaded that they refuse to adapt to the new game, but the NFL has been a passing league for about 10-12 years and both DUngy and Gruden know that and i think they could adapt.

I am not saying that i want them to coach the team, im just saying i think both of these guys can adapt, they now watch the NFL from a different point of view from what the fans see and see how much this game is about passing now days.

Whoever the coach will be ill get behind him for at least the first year. IN the end, i dont have any control over it.

lewdog 12-26-2012 08:43 PM

I could coach a Peyton Manning lead team to a Superbowl. Hire me when Fox leaves.

chiefzilla1501 12-26-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9242612)

Being away from the game doesn't mean the game has passed you by. As long as you recognize it's changed and adapt. Vermeil did fine coming back. Shanahan did well coming back. If Gruden moves to more of a spread, he will too. Marty did too, if you count the fact that he still couldn't win the big game. Dungy's too smart a coach not to make a comeback and adjust his scheme. But again, like Marty, he's not going to win big games.

ChiefsCountry 12-26-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9241764)

Marty with a franchise QB like Montana was good times. And that quarterback is in our grasp.

Micjones 12-26-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9242625)
It all matters is if the coach can adapt to the times. There are some coaches who are so hardheaded that they refuse to adapt to the new game, but the NFL has been a passing league for about 10-12 years and both DUngy and Gruden know that and i think they could adapt.

I am not saying that i want them to coach the team, im just saying i think both of these guys can adapt, they now watch the NFL from a different point of view from what the fans see and see how much this game is about passing now days.

Whoever the coach will be ill get behind him for at least the first year. IN the end, i dont have any control over it.

Dungy's pushing 60. He's been around the NFL a long time. Guys like him are rarely open to the winds of change in the league. I doubt seriously he'll have a fresh take on the game. I will say this though...If memory serves, he's never really been a meddlesome coach who had to have his hands in everything. So with bright young coordinators...maybe he'd be okay?

Micjones 12-26-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9242631)
Being away from the game doesn't mean the game has passed you by. As long as you recognize it's changed and adapt. Vermeil did fine coming back. Shanahan did well coming back. If Gruden moves to more of a spread, he will too. Marty did too, if you count the fact that he still couldn't win the big game. Dungy's too smart a coach not to make a comeback and adjust his scheme. But again, like Marty, he's not going to win big games.

Vermeil was only away two years. And I think comparatively, the league changed a lot less over that stretch. Dungy's been gone for four.

SAUTO 12-26-2012 09:01 PM

Vermeil was gone for a decade. Edit more than that
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 12-26-2012 09:02 PM

Also throw dungy in the same "**** that" pile as Reid
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief 12-26-2012 10:06 PM

Dungy wouldn't even be in the top ten coaches I'd want.

Cowher
Arians
Kelly
Reid
McCoy
Gruden
Gruden
Clements
Sullivan

CanadaKC 12-26-2012 10:13 PM

are you guys seriously arguing who's a better coach between Crennel and Dungy? Come on man!

nychief 12-26-2012 10:24 PM

Why is Cowher a better coach than Dungy... Because he scowls?

chiefzilla1501 12-26-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9242795)
Why is Cowher a better coach than Dungy... Because he scowls?

Exactly.

chagrin 12-26-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9241786)
If Geno is as good as everyone here says he'll be, we are set.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd hate to see the #1 overall pick get his bell rung for the first 2-4 years because he's in the hands of a horrible coaching staff; this is an extremely important pick coming up, it's going to be combined with a new staff off the heels of a terrible, terrible year. Ownership is in deep with fans, as bad as it has been in what, 25 years? Everything must go the right way or shit's going to explode immediately.
We can plant good seeds like Washington, Seattle and others, drafting good young talent or we can look like Arizona, Cincy, Oakland over the years when shitty coaching staffs selected talent at the top and ruined them, or just drafted shit and made it worse.

NJChiefsFan 12-26-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin (Post 9242805)
I'd hate to see the #1 overall pick get his bell rung for the first 2-4 years because he's in the hands of a horrible coaching staff; this is an extremely important pick coming up, it's going to be combined with a new staff off the heels of a terrible, terrible year. Ownership is in deep with fans, as bad as it has been in what, 25 years? Everything must go the right way or shit's going to explode immediately.
We can plant good seeds like Washington, Seattle and others, drafting good young talent or we can look like Arizona, Cincy, Oakland over the years when shitty coaching staffs selected talent at the top and ruined them, or just drafted shit and made it worse.

Yeah I think a good example is picturing what RG3 or Wilson would have done with our coaching staff this year.

chagrin 12-26-2012 10:31 PM

:eek:

RunKC 12-26-2012 10:45 PM

There is no need to worry guys. Dungy is not coaching.

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy
We lived in Kansas City 3 years and loved it. I love the Hunt family. But I will not be back in coaching, there or anywhere else.

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-26-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9242823)

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy
We lived in Kansas City 3 years and loved it. I love the Hunt family. But I will not be back in coaching, there or anywhere else.

This is good news

Mother****erJones 12-26-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9242827)
This is good news

Pheeew

BigMeatballDave 12-26-2012 11:03 PM

That's a relief

KCrockaholic 12-26-2012 11:05 PM

I'm happy to hear this. Was getting tired of the stupid rumor. Never expected any truth out of it anyways.

RunKC 12-26-2012 11:11 PM

I still think the Polian rumor is legit. I wonder who he would bring in?

Hoover 12-26-2012 11:25 PM

Whew, I was about to fly a banner over his house telling him to stay the Fu@k away from KC.

KurtCobain 12-27-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9242915)
Whew, I was about to fly a banner over his house telling him to stay the Fu@k away from KC.

Would be well worth it.

saphojunkie 12-27-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9242883)
I still think the Polian rumor is legit. I wonder who he would bring in?

Bruce Arians?

Crush 12-27-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy

The football gods are vengeful, yet merciful.

It came to pass that the one known as Dungy said unto the truefans, "No, I shall not be your savior. I shall not be resurrected as your false god."

Thank you Jeebus.

Ace Gunner 12-27-2012 02:46 AM

there was a interview on 810 tonight with a guy that writes for USA but lives or is originally from springfield, mo. I didn't get his name, but he interviewed Polian for USA and said Polian explained he is;

*interested in the job here
*thinks the team is mostly a QB away from contending
*does not know if the job is open
*is not sure Piholi & Staff (including Romeo) need to be replaced

I think it was during Kietzman's pgm. So, I guess that "polian & hunt" meeting rumor was garbage.

Mother****erJones 12-27-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9243280)
there was a interview on 810 tonight with a guy that writes for USA but lives or is originally from springfield, mo. I didn't get his name, but he interviewed Polian for USA and said Polian explained he is;

*interested in the job here
*thinks the team is mostly a QB away from contending
*does not know if the job is open
*is not sure Piholi & Staff (including Romeo) need to be replaced

I think it was during Kietzman's pgm. So, I guess that "polian & hunt" meeting rumor was garbage.

Or he's playing the PR games like so many do

Dayze 12-27-2012 08:27 AM

QB away from contending : translation - signn a FA QB

Hammock Parties 12-27-2012 09:21 AM

@TonyDungy-We lived in Kansas City 3 years and loved it. I love the Hunt family. But I will not be back in coaching, there or anywhere else.

ndws 12-27-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9240764)
Hey, why don't we all just try to make up our own rumors and get them tweeted as actual fact.

Monte Kiffin DID walk away from USC recently...just sayin. lol

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-27-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9243471)
@TonyDungy-We lived in Kansas City 3 years and loved it. I love the Hunt family. But I will not be back in coaching, there or anywhere else.

w00t!

King_Chief_Fan 12-27-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9243471)

HOORAY

Dayze 12-27-2012 09:29 AM

thank god.

Easy 6 12-27-2012 09:30 AM

Dungy is a great human being, but yeah... i'm glad to hear this.

PRIEST 12-27-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9243493)
Dungy is a great human being, but yeah... i'm glad to hear this.

This :clap:

Ace Gunner 12-27-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9243316)
Or he's playing the PR games like so many do

I don't think lying is a "pr" move and it's not what these guys do during interviews because that would all but ruin their credibility in the league.

When asked questions they don't want to answer, they just don't answer. You know, like "not going to comment at this time" kind of stuff.

Anyways, not to attack your OP, just putting the credible info out there for ya. Polian has not been with Clarky boy. I know it's painful to read, but according to credible source, it did not happen.

htismaqe 12-27-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9243723)
I don't think lying is a "pr" move and it's not what these guys do during interviews because that would all but ruin their credibility in the league.

When asked questions they don't want to answer, they just don't answer. You know, like "not going to comment at this time" kind of stuff.

Anyways, not to attack your OP, just putting the credible info out there for ya. Polian has not been with Clarky boy. I know it's painful to read, but according to credible source, it did not happen.

ROFL

KCSPORTSNUT 12-27-2012 12:40 PM

You know ive been thinking if PIoli was gonna be gone why is he still here he cant perform any tasks.He wouldn't be working on Bowes or Alberts contract right.I think he did get an extension and will be here with Cassel next year.Cassel starts game 1.

Easy 6 12-27-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSPORTSNUT (Post 9243829)
You know ive been thinking if PIoli was gonna be gone why is he still here he cant perform any tasks.He wouldn't be working on Bowes or Alberts contract right.I think he did get an extension and will be here with Cassel next year.Cassel starts game 1.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

PhillyChiefFan 12-27-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Well then you would see me on the 5 o'clock news getting arrested after burning arrowhead to the ground with about 300 of my CP brethren.

Rasputin 12-27-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy

That's not what he told me at Best Buy the other day.

bricks 12-27-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy

Ah Phew

Thank Goodness

RealSNR 12-28-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...heb4o1_400.gif

BossChief 12-28-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9243723)

HMOG

Please tell me you don't actually believe this.

Mr. Laz 12-28-2012 08:00 AM

Isn't a coach that has been out of the league for 3 or 4 years pretty much done?

It's just too long

mooch
cowher
dungy
gruden
vermeil
shottenheimer

58-4ever 12-28-2012 08:01 AM

Thanks. If we can avoid REALLY old coaches, that would be preferred.

Dayze 12-28-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9245330)

great movie.
Love Kahn.
"I was so....so angry, that flames.....on the side of my face"
lol

FRCDFED 12-28-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9242810)
Yeah I think a good example is picturing what RG3 or Wilson would have done with our coaching staff this year.

He would've been fine with our coaching staff. He would've been coddled on the bench behind wonderboy Casshole!!:#

ChiTown 12-28-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9245477)
great movie.
Love Kahn.
"I was so....so angry, that flames.....on the side of my face"
lol

One of the best comedic actresses of her time. Taken way too early. RIP